I am so happy that this is the path we are on - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 11-22-2011, 09:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I just wanted to say how happy I am that we've stayed with unschooling as DS has reached school age. I spent entirely too much time on this board when he was little trying to absorb everything, learn from parents with older kids so that I could see what was ahead. Still I was afraid that powers beyond me, or within me, would shift how we were doing things. But now it all seems to becoming together, I can sit there each day and note how he is learning, how we are learning together without me handing him an assignment or pushing anything. I am lucky that I live in a place where we have created our own community of Unschoolers one filled with Mamas I love and other children DS loves too.

I know a lot of my confidence comes from having so many examples to learn from. So during this week of gratitude I wanted to thank all of you who have shared pieces of their lives here. [Fine I'm in a sappy mood sorry]

Mama, writer, partner, wanderer. Living life with my ds (7/06), married to my best friend and nemesis .
#2 of 4 Old 11-23-2011, 10:05 AM

how exciting.  I absolutely love that we have gotten rid of our " traditional" schooling.  Things are so much more relaxed and peaceful around here

Aron Mama to 6 homeschoolers -- 12, 10, 8, 5, 3, baby

#3 of 4 Old 11-23-2011, 01:03 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)

I am most thankful in the morning, when we don't have to scurry and hurry to get out the door.  Some of our best games happen before 10am and after 6pm.  I am thankful that for the most part we do not have to rush from one thing to the next to the next.  It makes me more relaxed, and I am a happier and better person for it.  I am thankful that "learning" is not boring for the girls.  I am thankful that we can go out and learn about things "for real" instead of from a book in a classroom.  I am thankful for the books though, and though I'm not religious I will sing the praises of our local library system.  Glory Hallelujah!  I don't know what we would do without our awesome library.  Amen!  (Love!) joy.gif (That's me singing in praise!)

Stacey B likes this.

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.
#4 of 4 Old 11-25-2011, 12:09 AM

Hey, sappy is good sometimes! I loved hearing your story. 

Good for you for hanging in there and learning what works and what doesn't. As a teacher, I saw homeschooled (and unschooled) kids who thrived, and kids who didn't. Almost always it came down to the amount of time and effort the mom put into studying styles, methods, ideas, and philosophies, then making wise decisions about her own ways and those of her child or children.

Very happy for you! 

Paula

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page