Cool science discovery, but what is it? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 12-09-2011, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)

The girls have been enjoying goofing around the bathtub with a 32oz yogurt container and a wet washcloth.  My oldest discovered that if you invert the full container with the wet washcloth held tightly over the opening, the water doesn't flow out.  They were having so much fun with it, and (even if I did understand what was going on) I didn't want to spoil it by explaining.  

But *I* want to know.... what just happened?

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.
#2 of 8 Old 12-09-2011, 03:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

They don't even need the washcloth over the opening.  The water does not flow out, because there is nothing to take up that space that it is occupying in the container.  If air cannot get in, then the water can not come out.  As long as the rim of the container is under water, and there are no holes in the container, the water will have to stay in.

#3 of 8 Old 12-09-2011, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter

That's an interesting connection.  The way they do it is up in the air, but I suppose it ends up being the same thing, doesn't it?  Does it?

#4 of 8 Old 12-09-2011, 08:30 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSilver View Post

That's an interesting connection.  The way they do it is up in the air, but I suppose it ends up being the same thing, doesn't it?  Does it?

Yes, that's it.  Water can get through the washcloth pretty well, but air can't.  I just played around with this a little myself and found that if you pull the washcloth away from the container just a tiny bit in one spot along the edge, so air can get in, water will come pouring out through the washcloth.

#5 of 8 Old 12-10-2011, 09:13 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I was thinking about this more last night and puzzling over how to explain why the water can't come out.  Why can't it leave an empty space behind?  And how does it "know" there would be an empty space?  What actually prevents it from moving?  The answers to those questions weren't really clear to me at first, but after thinking it over and talking about it with DP, I feel like I understand now. 

Here's the way of thinking about it that makes sense to me:

For the water to come out, there has to be space for it to flow into.  But the space outside the container is already full.  It's full of air.  If air could get into the container, then some of it would shift into there as the water came out, making room for the water outside the container.  But if there's nowhere for the air to go, the water can't just push it aside into another space; it has to compress it.  In other words, the water pressure has to be higher than the air pressure.  But it's not; the air is pushing against the water harder than the water is pushing against the air.  DP tells me that a column of water needs to be 30 feet high for the pressure in the column to be more than the air pressure.  (It doesn't matter how wide the column is, because if it's wider there's not only more water pressing down but also more air pressing up, so it always stays even.)  So if your kids had a 30 foot tall yogurt container and they turned it upside down with a washcloth over it, water would come out through the washcloth, leaving a vacuum behind.

#6 of 8 Old 12-10-2011, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter

As I did this in the kitchen sink I did notice the air pushing the washcloth into a convex shape.  Very nice, thank you!

#7 of 8 Old 12-14-2011, 09:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

YOu can also do it with a sheet of paper, which is kind of a cool variation :)

#8 of 8 Old 12-14-2011, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter

And we *will*!  Thanks for the recommendation!

Tags
Unschooling

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page