Places with the most unschoolers/support groups? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 12-17-2011, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I was wondering what states, provinces, cities, or towns in the Western hemisphere had high numbers of unschoolers or even ecovillages that are open to unschooling.

#2 of 14 Old 12-18-2011, 09:52 AM

We live in Denver Colorado and we have a pretty active unschooling community. We're a big city so there is a lot of everything going on but I know that a lot of the homeschoolers we meet are unschooling. We are part of an unschooling community most of the kids are younger, 8 and under, but I know that there are other groups around here as well. The community itself is very supportive of what we are doing. I think some of that comes from how many charter schools and progressive private schools there are around, to the rest of the city we just seem like another choice from a long list of options you can choose.

It sounds like you may be looking for a smaller community to live in but if you did want a big city with lots of opportunities and community Denver is wonderful.

Mama, writer, partner, wanderer. Living life with my ds (7/06), married to my best friend and nemesis .
#3 of 14 Old 12-19-2011, 05:28 PM

We have great unschooling support in Chicago and there is a Sudbury school in a nearby suburb. We have a lot of organized activities that families can choose from and a large annual homeschooling/ unschooling conference run by homeschoolers, not corporations/marketers. The laws here are also very liberal when it comes to "regulation." 

#4 of 14 Old 12-20-2011, 11:44 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

I can tell you AZ is a yellow state but we function like a green state!

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#5 of 14 Old 02-16-2012, 12:09 AM

Mama-ness can you tell more about organized activities in Chicago, are you talking about the suburbs or the city?

#6 of 14 Old 02-16-2012, 08:12 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I suspect the areas where there are minimal regulations are the ones with more unschooling support. I'm in PA which is high regulation and I think it scares people off the concept of unschooling. It seems that other unschoolers are far with few between. But the neighboring states (NJ and DE) seem to have big active groups.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#7 of 14 Old 02-16-2012, 09:27 AM

Ontario as a whole is excellent.

The only guideline is "children must receive a satisfactory education"  smile.gif

#8 of 14 Old 02-19-2012, 03:52 PM

Agree about AZ! you just have to submit an affidavit here.  Here in Phoenix we have a small but excellent group of unschoolers.  It sure is nice having some support! and right now the weather is magnificent!

thefragile7393 likes this.

Legal Mama to TWO homebirthed, unschooled, unvaxed, cloth diapered, mei tei loving, still breastfeeding baby girl 1/14/07 and an intact 8 pound 10 ouncer baby boy 4/5/10.
#9 of 14 Old 02-20-2012, 02:09 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

We're in Tucson AZ. We submitted our affidavit of intent to homeschool our 6 year old. We are done with all requirements. There is a very active unschooling group here.

thefragile7393 likes this.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#10 of 14 Old 08-02-2012, 02:11 PM

BC, Canada. Home of Wondertree and SelfDesign. HUGE number of unschoolers, here!

The law states:

"Parents may educate their children at home, but they must provide each school-age child with an "educational program" "

"Educational program" ;)

#11 of 14 Old 08-27-2012, 08:26 PM

Just moved to Portland and I'm amazed at the amount of homeschool (and unschool specific) groups here!!

- Mom to Baby Mark (9/18/10) and 4 wonderful dogs!
#12 of 14 Old 08-27-2012, 09:42 PM

Portland, OR. Tons of unschoolers, support groups, etc.

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

#13 of 14 Old 09-06-2012, 03:35 PM

The Bay Area has a lot of unschooling families, but I've yet to find a community that isn't white, upper middle class hippies. :/ (trust fund hippies, if you will)

#14 of 14 Old 09-06-2012, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4evermom View Post

I suspect the areas where there are minimal regulations are the ones with more unschooling support. I'm in PA which is high regulation and I think it scares people off the concept of unschooling. It seems that other unschoolers are far with few between. But the neighboring states (NJ and DE) seem to have big active groups.

I agree. I'm also in PA, and though we unschool, I never found any unschooling groups. Most homeschool groups I found were religious.

Tags
Unschooling

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page