As an USer, do you..... - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
1  2
Unschooling > As an USer, do you.....
wilmama's Avatar wilmama 02:58 PM 08-02-2012

-strew. Infrequent or regularly?

I do, but not with any regularity. If I find something that I think or know DD would like, or perhaps that I think she should know because it would be relevant to her life right now, then I do. I don't just strew for the sake of strewing, and I do do it because she does respond to it.  For us it works because she really truly is an autodidact and she loves learning things on her own.

-have curriculum or textbooks in the house?  Few or many?

Nope, not really.  We have "learning books" but I think those are a far cry from text books. 

-ask or model that kids use the above items

No.

-insist kids use these items.

No.

-kids have chores

No, not really.  She is expected to deal with the care and keeping of herself (personal hygiene, getting ready for the day, getting ready for bed, etc.) but she's not expected to wash dishes, for example. If I would like help with something, I tell her I'd like help and she will help.

-kids have bedtimes

Sort of. My husband gets up at 5:30am so he's in bed by 10. We try to have DD (she's almost 10) in her own room by 9 just so we can have our own time before bed to chill. She reads from that point until she falls asleep, which could be 30 minutes or three hours later.

-place limits on some activities (screens, for example)

No.

-do structured activities out of the house.  Any limits on this?

She does classes, workshops, field trips, etc. No limit. If she wants to do them, she does them. She enjoys being out of the house and social so some weeks are quite busy!

Tags: Unschooling
1  2

Up