Animal Club? Spam me ideas please! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 02-07-2012, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My animal-obsessed child is kicking around the idea of starting some sort of 'animal club'. I thought it may be a great idea to make some like-minded friends for her and to have a bit of fun. If they learn something, awesome too. It would be more for enrichment/socializing/fun though. I was thinking of something once a week at our place, maybe once every two weeks. Age group around 5-8 or so.

I need ideas of what to actually do though. I found a few ideas online but I would love more! Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Christ-centered loving wife & mama to 2 miracles! One & one . We live simply and mindfully. Expecting another blessing Feb 2015
#2 of 5 Old 02-07-2012, 01:29 PM

My daughter and several of her friends started an animal club that they are calling the 'Wildlife Club.'  I have no idea how it all came about, except that one day they announced that they had formed a wildlife club, and that they would start meeting the following week.  Their club meetings take place after they have all just finished doing a handcraft/needlework/knitting group together, so it is a natural, predictable and easy meeting time for everyone involved.  Anyway, apparently when they first came up with this club they formed a list of animals that they were all interested in and assigned each animal to a week.  Each week, everyone is supposed to research that animal and write down several facts about it.  Each girl also plans an activity each week around that animal.  At their meetings, I believe they share their facts, do the activity, and donate $1 to their 'animal wildlife fund' jar.  Each girl takes turns taking the jar home every week. 

They've been doing this for 5 weeks now and still seem pretty enthusiastic, so we'll see how long it lasts!

~ Meredith, mom to dd(Jan '02), ds1(May '04) and ds2 (June '07) ~ :
#3 of 5 Old 02-09-2012, 07:31 PM

You cOuld field trip to a pet store? Invite different people with diff animals to visit? Visit a vet? 

#4 of 5 Old 02-10-2012, 10:47 PM

Canadiangranola has some good ideas.

Maybe work through the different classes of the animal kingdom, dedicating 1-2 meetings to each type, and arrange for a hands-on experience in cases where possible.

Grow butterflies.
Ant farm.
Dig for worms.
Visit a beekeeper.
Petting zoo.
Animal acrostics.
Trivia Game.
#5 of 5 Old 02-12-2012, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the ideas! I've been compiling them in a document -- and I welcome any other ideas anyone may have!

Christ-centered loving wife & mama to 2 miracles! One & one . We live simply and mindfully. Expecting another blessing Feb 2015

Tags
Unschooling

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page