Homeschool for Preschoolers - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 03-01-2012, 05:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi,

I'm in a bit of a dilemma and need some guidance.  We recently moved about 1000 miles away.  Our son was in a wonderful montessori school and in order to keep some consistency we looked for a program close to our new apartment.  Unfortunately, the only program we found was 1/2 hour away.  It has proved to be too difficult - the commute on all of us (including my younger daughter) has been a challenge.  Due to the distance, we are out of the house (and our new community) 4 hours a day, 5 days a week.

In addition, the new school has not proved to be quite what we were hoping.  There is a computer in the classroom (why??  I have no idea).  Anyway, he is not getting the social interaction or educational tools that we anticipated.  It has not provided the "consistent atmosphere" we hoped that would ease the transition.  All that said to lead to our decision to withdraw him from the program.

So now I have my 5 yo son and 2 yo daughter at home (in a tiny apt) in our new city.  I'm looking for some direction on how to provide an educational outline to the day.  Even asking this question might seem silly - is there a cirriculum or guidelines that you can give me for a preschool homeschool program?  I'm just looking for some activities or flow to the day...I'm afraid if we don't have some sort of routine, it's be a challenge.  I'm afraid I get involved in stuff I need to get done and distracted sometimes.  I want to be more deliberate in how to approach the day so we all have a good experience over the next several months until K starts.

Any ideas?

Thanks so much,

Christine

#2 of 5 Old 03-01-2012, 09:44 AM

I would recommend that you check out a book called "Free Range Learning" by Laura Grace Weldon.  It has lots of good info about natural learning and the child-led approach that my ease your worries about "educational tools, etc."  Also, some great chapters about living life with your children around and having a flow to the day that includes all of you.  The later will be an adjustment for all 3 of you but give it time and you'll soon find your groove. 

#3 of 5 Old 03-01-2012, 12:44 PM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 40 Post(s)

You've posted in the Unschooling forum, which is populated mostly by folks looking for non-curricular, relatively unstructured organic style "learning from life," particularly in the early years. You might get more input by posting in the Learning At Home and Beyond forum.

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

#4 of 5 Old 03-01-2012, 01:45 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)

I think there might even be a "Montessori" thread somewhere on that forum, too.

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.
#5 of 5 Old 03-01-2012, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the ideas.  I realized after I posted there was probably a more appropriate forum.  Thanks again!

Christine

Tags
Unschooling

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page