Community Ed. Mommy and Me Classes - Like or Dislike? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 03-21-2012, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Wondering what your opinions are, if anybody has done them, good or bad experiences...

We had our first class today and I'm not sure what I think. I think DD liked it, although, she didn't really 'play' with any other kids. I mean they're 1, so they don't really 'play' together. I would've liked it more if it were mommies and babies playing together in a room but it was more like babies play over here and mommies sit over there and talk about 1 year old babies. I'm trying to give it a shot because I can be overly critical of stuff like this.

belly.gif1***5****10****15****20****25****30****35heartbeat.gif***40babygirl.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 03-21-2012, 03:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Well, my DD is 6 months old so definitely not in the "play with other babies" mode yet, but we went to a Mommy & Me music class demo to check it out...I hated it.  I mean, there was nothing wrong with it, and all the babies seemed to enjoy it.  (DD mostly stared at the other babies, but she seemed to like the staring.  Not sure she was very impressed with the music, though, and she's usually all about music.)  I just feel like there are people who really, really enjoy Mommy & Me type classes and playgroups, and people who kind of go along with the activities but feel like total nitwits (me).  I never feel like a nitwit when I'm dancing and singing for my DD at home, but this made me totally self-conscious.

I'm not a fan of the playgroup-type mommy & me classes either, but we go to them anyway because my DD likes to watch the toddlers and I figure it's good to stretch her little neurons with new experiences (and they're free :) ).  I feel like all the other moms in them go to fifty billion playgroups a week together, and thus spend the whole time talking to their friends, and those of us who are new or who only go to one a week are really left out.  That said, it's gotten better over time...maybe it just takes some time to get accepted into the group, so to speak.  And no, the kids don't play together or even interact, really....though I once saw a little boy bring toy after toy over to a little girl he was obviously smitten with.  That was cute!

Mom to the wacky and wonderful Kalyani (August 2011) femalesling.GIF

#3 of 4 Old 03-21-2012, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Cute about the boy who had a crush! : ) Yea, I guess I don't see anything wrong with it I just thought it was a little silly that the mommies were more into singing along than the kids. I do think it might motivate DD to walk, though, because the walking 1 year olds obviously can get to the top toys first, haha. I saw her wheels turning.

belly.gif1***5****10****15****20****25****30****35heartbeat.gif***40babygirl.gif

#4 of 4 Old 03-22-2012, 08:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hehehe, I swear my DD is thinking along the same lines:  "Need to crawl so the toys will be MINE!!" :)  None of the kids in our group is really into the silly songs unless they're bouncy-game songs (like "the grand old duke of york," etc.)--then they loooooooove them.  I've noticed the frequency of bouncy-game songs has really gone up as the lady leading the group figured out that they keep the kids happy!

Mom to the wacky and wonderful Kalyani (August 2011) femalesling.GIF

Tags
Unschooling

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page