iPad or laptop? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 04-13-2012, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm wanting to get our kids their own computer but am wondering if an iPad would be a better idea? If your kids have one or the other, why do you/they prefer what you have?

My kids (aged 9,7 & 5) would use it for standard reasons like playing games, emailing, looking up info, etc. The reason the iPad piqued my interest was because of all the app possibilities but them I'm wondering if the expense would skyrocket. I know there are a lot of free ones because we have an iPod touch (on it's last leg) and DH & I have iPhones. I love Apple products but am leaning towards getting a simple laptop. 

Anyway, what do your kids use with pros & cons, please. And if you have both, what is your/their preference & why?

Thanks!

stephanie asl.gif

#2 of 5 Old 04-13-2012, 08:34 AM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 84 Post(s)

double post

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

#3 of 5 Old 04-13-2012, 08:35 AM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 84 Post(s)

I'm an iPad owner and I love my iPad, but I would recommend laptops. 

I love my iPad because I don't have a cellphone or an iPod touch or a laptop, and it sort of works as a stand-in for all those devices. My kids can play a game on it, or watch a video, or listen to music or an audiobook if they're trapped in the minivan for 8 hours or waiting while I attend a meeting or something. I can use an app to send text messages. And I can do some basic computer-type stuff on it (simple photo editing, web browsing, very basic word processing). I pair it with a small bluetooth keyboard since my middle dd and I are the secretaries of a number of organizations, so we use it for taking minutes. We've used it as a digital photo display for organizational presentations. I use it when I'm teaching violin in the basement of my home to quickly show my students musical performances that I think they should be familiar with.

But ... if I had a cellphone or an iPod touch, or if I had a laptop, the iPad would be an expensive redundancy which really wouldn't do anything as well as the other more specific devices. The lack of a keyboard is a definite drawback for basic computer tasks (unless you want to buy one, which increases the cost further and reduces the portability). The computer power and amount of storage is minimal. It doesn't have the ability to print or to share files directly (i.e. you can't plug in a thumb drive to copy files off to give to a friend or teacher, and to print you have to do a relatively complex business of exporting them in a portable format, syncing through iTunes, selecting files to share, placing them in a specific location on the syncing computer, opening them and then printing. 

My two oldest kids (18 and 15) have bought themselves laptops. My 13-year-old plans to do the same once she has enough cash. Despite being familiar with my iPad and its capabilities they definitely wanted more computing capabilities than the iPad offered. The portability hasn't been an issue that they were willing to pay more and get less computer for. 

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

#4 of 5 Old 04-14-2012, 06:15 PM

my daughter loves her iPad, I prefer my MacBook Air, my daughter loves iMacs the most, so we are looking into that, probably christmas...

Mama to DD(4) energy.gif&  DS baby.gif

#5 of 5 Old 04-16-2012, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your thoughts! I ended up getting a very inexpensive laptop and am totally happy with that decision. I was able to fix the iTouch (for the most part) and loaded it with free apps so that can be their portable "computer" when needed. I'm hoping the laptop will get them through these next few years until they're older & can make their own decision as to what technology will serve them best. 

After discussing this with DH these past few days, I fear I may have convinced him HE needs an iPad. Ha! 

stephanie asl.gif

Tags
Unschooling

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page