Unschooling with graded transcripts? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 04-26-2012, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

How do unschoolers come to terms with having to report grades for their kids?

DS is unschooling high school, working above grade level for his age in most areas. He's getting A's in the subjects that can be objectively graded, and clearly doing just as well in the less-objectively-graded subjects. 

Our umbrella school is requiring us to self-assess and submit grades this year. Documenting to show evidence of learning is easy with this kid, but it's the grade assignment that I'm uneasy about. In addition to my belief that assigning grades is irrelevant and possibly detracts from learning, how meaningful will it be, to him or to a college admissions office, for him to have a transcript with straight A's "from his mom"?

Help me wrap my brain around this!

#2 of 3 Old 04-26-2012, 05:48 PM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 43 Post(s)

My approach to this has always been to say that philosophically we use a "mastery-based approach to education." In other words, we don't consider the kids to have moved ahead in the 'curriculum' until they have reached full mastery at the current level. That's not to say that they don't jump about into more and less advanced things based on whims and interests, but I wouldn't report on that more advanced learning until there's some fairly cohesive mastery up to that level. So when middle dd was dabbling in a 9th grade math program at age 11, but clearly wasn't totally mastering it, I reported her as an A student in 7th grade math since that's where I considered her "full mastery level" to be (and she was nominally only a 6th grader at the time). 

Three of my kids are in high school for at least some of their course-work this year. Their report cards just arrived today, and they're totally in line with the straight A's I was awarding them in past years, so I feel kind of vindicated. Middle dd, now 13, is acing advanced 9th grade math for real this year, with the top mark in the class. smile.gif

Anyway, it sounds like your kiddo is similar. I think you should have no qualms about awarding him A's for above grade level work done well.

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

#3 of 3 Old 04-27-2012, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by moominmamma View Post

My approach to this has always been to say that philosophically we use a "mastery-based approach to education." In other words, we don't consider the kids to have moved ahead in the 'curriculum' until they have reached full mastery at the current level.

"Mastery-based approach" ...that's such a great description of how we're doing things. Thanks Miranda, that's wonderful!

And congrats to your kids on their successful transition to school!

Tags
Unschooling

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page