Regulations in Oregon - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-21-2012, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My daughter is only 3 right now, but I plan on unschooling.  I am curious about the laws in our state (Oregon).  Does anyone have any insight or a website to go to?  I got the website about how you have to tell the school by a certain age and there are certain years the kids are supposed to do testing.  Is that required?  What other evaluations are deemed neccesary?  TIA!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2012, 07:00 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I would do a search for Oregon homeschool yahoo groups. That seems to be the main way homeschoolers network around here. There is this one in the Portland area: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/pdx-unschoolers/

Hth!

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
Old 05-22-2012, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you!

Old 07-16-2012, 09:00 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I unschooled in Oregon for several years. Oregon requires testing at the ends of grades 3,5,8, and 10. Your local Education Service District (ESD) has a list of the standardized tests you can use and a list of testers you can use. Parents or family cannot test their own kids. Look for your city/county's ESD for more info.

We never ran into any trouble testing or so called "passing". Even if you were to fall under the like "15th" percentile score that they want you to hit (which I have never personally heard of happening) you get more chances to get there- they don't just order you back to school. You do not have to tell them you are unschooling, just home educating your children. :)

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
Old 07-20-2012, 10:22 AM

This is all helpful for me too, thanks for the thread :) We're moving out there in a month with my 4yo and 22mo and had only seen the laws summarized on the HSLDA site. 

Sarah

flowersforyou.gif   

Old 07-30-2012, 09:58 AM

I am moving out there next week and strongly considering homseschooling, though my son is still very young. 

Anyone know about joining public school programs while homeschooling? I know you can, but I'm not sure how it works. 

- Mom to Baby Mark (9/18/10) and 4 wonderful dogs!

Tags
Unschooling
User Tag List