HSing/USing- what curriculum or guides do you use??? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 07-20-2012, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

For Unschooling and Homeschooling...what are the guides and curriculums you use.  I am unsure about the curriculum part of it.  Does it have to be approved by state???

#2 of 10 Old 07-20-2012, 04:47 PM

Neither the state nor the school district has to approve the curriculum. There are state laws that must be followed regarding notification of the school district as well as the starting age of mandatory school attendance. What state are you in?
#3 of 10 Old 07-20-2012, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter

I am in GA...I have the other stuff down with age/registering/testing etc. I just didn't run into anything yet with curriculum.  I know some Mama's that have mentioned what they *might* use...but that's as far as I got...at the moment.  I may have skipped over it.  I guess I can look up the state guidelines again . :)

#4 of 10 Old 07-20-2012, 05:00 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)

In WA there are no curriculum requirements, only that parents "must cover" 11 core areas of study, with no guidelines as to how they need to do that, nor any follow up.  That is not true for online HSing through WA public school districts, which require the submission of a curriculum, and regular reviews with a liaison.  That is not a requirement in our state, however, only of individual schools.

Chances are you are not hearing about curriculums because none are required.  Purchased curriculums are very popular with HSing families.  Even unschooling kids, especially older ones, might choose a curriculum for themselves.  

I am not aware of any state that requires submitting a curriculum in advance.  I am no expert, though.

ETA: we are an unschooling family with 2 girls, 5 and 7, so we have not used any curriculum or guides and have no plans to in the immediate future.

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.
#5 of 10 Old 07-20-2012, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSilver View Post

In WA there are no curriculum requirements, only that parents "must cover" 11 core areas of study, with no guidelines as to how they need to do that, nor any follow up.  That is not true for online HSing through WA public school districts, which require the submission of a curriculum, and regular reviews with a liaison.  That is not a requirement in our state, however, only of individual schools.

Chances are you are not hearing about curriculums because none are required.  Purchased curriculums are very popular with HSing families.  Even unschooling kids, especially older ones, might choose a curriculum for themselves.  

I am not aware of any state that requires submitting a curriculum in advance.  I am no expert, though.

ETA: we are an unschooling family with 2 girls, 5 and 7, so we have not used any curriculum or guides and have no plans to in the immediate future.

Thanks SweetSilver...That could be the case.  I am reading that nothing has to really be *turned* in except for attendance, and they just changed that to yearly instead of monthly.  Even testing isn't turned in.  Mine are 5 1/2 and 3....and the oldest did 2yrs of pre K.  I was a Preschool teacher in another life...so I think that is just what I am use to.  I almost feel like I would need it...just to keep myself straight.  But maybe once I am in it...it would feel second nature.

#6 of 10 Old 07-20-2012, 06:12 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)

As far as I know, Kindy is currently not required in any state, though states like CA are trying to.  So, you might not need to do anything official for your oldest until next year.

You can still use a purchased or homemade curriculum if you find it easier.  Here on the USing forum, we tend to prefer working without them, and many regular HSers prefer that too.  Or they start off using them, then ditch them.  Or start USing and switch to a full curriculum instead.  Or.....

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.
#7 of 10 Old 07-20-2012, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

#8 of 10 Old 09-19-2012, 01:00 AM

One thing that helped me was just writing down the things we did...or ideas that I had for lessons.  Also my kids would come to me with ideas, and I would write them in a notebook.  Once you get a groove going, you will do great!

namaste.giftreehugger.gifhippie.giffamilybed2.gifphotosmile2.gifchicken3.gifsewmachine.gif Supermom to Greenleigh, Zoe, Levi & Hudson ( DH J.P.)

#9 of 10 Old 09-19-2012, 09:46 AM

Hello :)

We have been living without school for more than 12 years--the kiddos are now 17 and 19. When they were younger, I found that simply journaling or jotting down a quick list of things we've done--even just calendar notes--helped me see the amazing wonders of learning clearly happening. 

You can do it, don't make it complicated--just be fully present and enjoy the world with your kiddos. :)

~~

#10 of 10 Old 09-19-2012, 09:56 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Your state laws can be found here... http://www.hslda.org/laws/default.asp?State=GA It looks like you have no curriculum requirements beyond providing a "basic academic educational program" (#2) and also that the superintendent can not require you to prove what you are doing to meet that (#7).

Tags
Unschooling

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page