Best Unschooling Books - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 09-17-2012, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I recent read Teach Your Own and Deschooling our lives, looking for another (hopefully newer) unschooling book to read next. 

Any suggestions. 

- Mom to Baby Mark (9/18/10) and 4 wonderful dogs!
#2 of 18 Old 09-17-2012, 10:52 AM

The only one I have read is the unschooling manual, I think. I have heard good things about homeschooling or children, unschooling ourselves (I think that is what it is called) but would love to read more books about unschooling.

Jackie and Rafael (4/15/04)
DS (4/25/05) my unschooled airbending pokemon wizard 
DD (10/05/06) my spirited pixie, who weaned at 3 yrs 10 months
DD (7/27/09) my UC water baby - I mean toddler!

DS (2/21/12) UC #2! My littlest love

#3 of 18 Old 09-17-2012, 12:19 PM

LOVE Homeschooling Our Children, Unschooling Ourselves.  It was a great help to me and I suggest it all the time to anyone even thinking of homeschooling.  I also really liked The Unschooling Handbook

chrisnjeri likes this.

Nicole - )0( unschooling mama to Lilahblahblah.gif (12/21/05) and Cianwild.gif (9/21/07) as well as 3 dog2.gif 2 cat.gif,  4 rats, chicken3.gif and ducks

#4 of 18 Old 09-18-2012, 02:39 PM

Sorry, mine was the unschooling handbook, not manual:-)

Jackie and Rafael (4/15/04)
DS (4/25/05) my unschooled airbending pokemon wizard 
DD (10/05/06) my spirited pixie, who weaned at 3 yrs 10 months
DD (7/27/09) my UC water baby - I mean toddler!

DS (2/21/12) UC #2! My littlest love

#5 of 18 Old 09-20-2012, 02:50 AM

Hi Y'all :)

While it's not a book, this website is one of the best unschooling resources I have found--especially for those new to the unschooling world:  

http://joyfullyrejoycing.com

~~
Mittsy likes this.
#6 of 18 Old 09-21-2012, 01:25 PM

I loved Learning All The Time (another John Holt) and The Unschooling Handbook (a great overview, very positive and encouraging, has quotes from kids, even covers things like applying to college).  I recently read John Taylor Gatto's Weapons of Mass Instruction.  I had kind of held off on this, because I wanted to wrap my brain around unschooling as a positive entity first, before delving into it more negatively as a means of avoiding the problems of school.  I wanted to understand it for what it was, rather than what it wasn't, if that makes sense.  But it is a vital piece of the puzzle, and I'm glad I read it.  It is certainly a biased account but appears well-researched, and it's very thought-provoking.

The other book I like isn't really about unschooling - it's called Out of the Classroom, Into the World and is based on unconventional methods teachers can employ to overcome some of the negatives of school and get kids learning in a hands-on way using the world around them as inspiration.  It is more structured than unschooling (more like creative unit studies) but it does gives lots of examples of ways you can support your child's interests as they flow from one topic into another organically, and how much we can learn using our backyard and daily life as a starting point.  I found it useful for that reason.

~ Lucky wife of DH blowkiss.gifand loving mama to DS biggrinbounce.gif (04/11) ~

treehugger.gif * femalesling.GIF * ecbaby2.gif *cd.gif * familybed1.gif * bf.gif * namaste.gif *

#7 of 18 Old 09-23-2012, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks! I just read "Free-Range Kids" not an unschooling book, but still good, it wasn't the greatest read, but it was funny. 

I have weapons of mass instruction on my kindle, but haven't read it yet! 

#8 of 18 Old 09-23-2012, 10:02 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

http://www.themothermagazine.co.uk/bookshop/

Life without School: The Quiet Revolution by the Robinsons

#9 of 18 Old 09-23-2012, 01:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

There is The Unschooling Unmanual and there is another one that I read and loved but can't remember the name.  I will have to ask my friend.

It is called The Unprocessed Child.  Great book!

#10 of 18 Old 09-28-2012, 10:52 PM

Granted this is my first foray into unschooling, but I just read Rue Kream's, "Parenting a Free Child" and LOVED IT!!!

Joyfully married to my luv (6/7/09) blowkiss.gif / Early loss at 11w3d w/ Minerva (6/23/10) angel1.gif / Beautiful breech homebirth.jpg w/ Aurora Jan (5/29/11) / Due with our son in April 2014
#11 of 18 Old 09-30-2012, 11:31 PM - Thread Starter

I've now read "Teach your own", "Deschooling our lives", "Free-Range Parenting" (not unshcooling specific), "Weapons of Mass Instruction" and I'm working on "The Unschooling Manual" After that is "Deschooling Society" 

So far all are great! Also reading "Clockwork Angels" which is a new Steampunk book by Kevin Anderson, its a novel, but the themes were amazingly pro unschooling/adventure. 

#12 of 18 Old 10-01-2012, 11:36 AM

My all-time favourite is Gerald Durrell's "My Family and Other Animals". More inspiring to me than any "unschooling handbook", this gentle and hilarious memoir of Durrell's childhood in Corfu encompasses the very essence of what I've strived for in my now-fourteen-year-old son's education, from the patience shown to young Gerald's hobbies by his mother, to the willingness of his hired tutor to think outside the box to reach him, to the astonishing kindness and respect shown to him by the mentor in his life. A beautiful example of self-directed learning.

#13 of 18 Old 10-31-2012, 08:13 PM

I've just discovered Unschooling: A lifestyle of learning by Sara McGrath

: :Mama to 4 girls and Michael is here 9/11/09 We love :::
#14 of 18 Old 10-31-2012, 08:16 PM

Here a link to some of her books. They look really good!!

http://www.amazon.com/Sara-McGrath/e/B002BMHNPA/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_1

: :Mama to 4 girls and Michael is here 9/11/09 We love :::
#15 of 18 Old 11-01-2012, 10:02 PM

Location: dining at the restaurant at the end of the universe
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Summerhill, a Radical Approach to Child-Rearing, by A. S. Neill, is more about child-led learning in an alternative school environment, but is a good early (1960) philosophy of learning. Historical perspective on how we got here, Neill was a big influence on John Holt. In 1969, at the age of 12, I was on the founding board of a school loosely patterned after Summerhill. (Yes, feel free to figure out how old I am! winky.gif) Reading that book was life-changing for me.

Rhu - mother,grandmother,daughter,sister,friend-foster,adoptive,and biological;not necessarily in that order. Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way (Jimmy Buffet)

#16 of 18 Old 09-23-2013, 12:08 AM

i read "the teenage liberation handbook" when it came out (i was a junior in HS), and promptly quit school & applied to a private liberal arts college, and was not only accepted with a mere 2 1/2 yrs of formal high school, i was offered the 2nd best scholarship they offered (just shy of a full ride), and have been convinced that that learning is richer and more amazing than most any school ever makes it seem since then – even though i also thrived in the ordinary classroom environment. honestly i was often just bored and impatient so i wanted both more breadth and depth & was excited to seek that out & so glad to read ways i could realistically make that happen, with limited money or transportation (and the internet at the time was a far cry from how we know it today)!

naturally, now that i'm gearing up to become a momma, i want to give my kiddo the abundant and rich learning opportunities out there from day one, and i'm so glad there's such a wealth of books to help prepare me for the task. is not enough to believe i *should* unschool my kid – i want to feel confident that i'm able to be a favorable alternative to sending them off to school, even though being a teacher is not something i have any experience with. i want to provide them the best, and be as non-coercive as possible in all the ways i interact with them. and what if they beg to go to school? how do i honor their feelings without giving in if i truly believe they would be poorly, even terribly, miserably served by school? so much to learn aside from just *that i want to* unschool.

appreciating your book suggestions, and looking forward to reading even more parenting books (my #1 hobby right now, in between all the prep before officially TTC, like getting up to date on my vaccines, finishing a buttload of dental work, home projects: remodeling/organizing/nesting)!

just kinda saying why i'm subscribing, as well as giving my take on why you might read books on unschooling, since a PP had asked (unless that was another thread? sorry, can't check, as i'm replying from my phone). =)

will be TTC in 11/2013 w/ frozen donor sperm via at-home ICI.  queer, 32.  DW is 41.  partners.gif married 9 yrs. stillheart.gif

treehugger.gif  joy.gif sewmachine.gif   knit.gif  goorganic.jpg   notes2.gif  and soon   bftoddler.gif familybed1.gif  malesling.GIF    

#17 of 18 Old 09-23-2013, 04:30 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

One of my top choices is The Continuum Concept by Jean Liedloff.

For a recent book, I am reading Free to Learn by Peter Gray.  It is very good even though his own family experience is not with at-home unschooling but with Sudbury.

She's not an unschooler but I also liked Quinn Cummings,  My Year of Learning Dangerously. 

no longer momsling.GIF or ecbaby2.gif orfly-by-nursing1.gif ... dd is going on 10 (!) how was I to know there was a homeschool going on?

#18 of 18 Old 09-23-2013, 06:50 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I really, really like John Holt. What I like about him really is how he tried to live his own life, with as much integrity as possible. Listening to him in his own words you cannot help but be inspired, I feel. 

The single most helpful thing for me, incidentally, was unschooling/deschooling myself. Getting rid of the idea that childhood is a waiting room for adulthood and that academic stuff is the business of childhood/worth more than less academic stuff. For that the two best books for me from Holt's books was his collected letters and Never Too Late. My feeling is that the best way to create a positive unschooling environment is to live it yourself and make it possible for the kids to follow. I also really liked Escape from childhood and I like the GWS archives, which seem to move around a bit but I am guessing could be found with a google.

I also really did like the enthusiasm of the Teenage Liberation Handbook. It somehow feels as though Grace Llewellyn has dropped off the unschooling radar a bit and that's a shame because to me she feels like the most natural sucessor to Holt, in many ways.

filamentary likes this.

Raising Geek_Generation_2.0 :LET ds= 10 ; LET dd1= ds - 2; LET dd2=dd-2; IF month=0.67 THEN LET ds = ds+1; 

Tags
Unschooling

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page