What annoys you the most about what others say... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 46 Old 09-22-2012, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
...when you talk about homeschooling or unschooling?

For me, it's the doom and gloom predictions of my son's future. Now that I can see the person he is becoming, I can ignore it. When he was young, they made me worry, and I could have lived without them.

Another one is when folks who have never homeschooled talk about it as though they know all about it.

Anyone else have any to share?
dogretro likes this.
#2 of 46 Old 09-22-2012, 10:37 PM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 64 Post(s)

Mostly it's when they respond to the reality of our family's homeschooling by defending their own choice to send their kids to school. I feel like grabbing their heads, pulling their faces close and saying "My family's educational choices are not about you, okay? It's just great that you send your kids to school, if that's working for you." 

Not really. It's been a lot of years since anyone has reacted at all to our homeschooling. But I do recall a couple of times way back in the early years when I felt a bit like that.

Miranda

onatightrope likes this.

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

#3 of 46 Old 09-23-2012, 05:51 AM

hmmm. I dunno, not much bothers me really that others say. I think usually, people are either reacting to the fact that they've never known a homeschooler and its a freaky idea, or else they happen to have had a bad experience with a homeschooler. I've never had a negative comment about me and my kids, so its more about them than me really. Perhaps I've been lucky. I tend to try to see it as a way to give them a good impression of a homeschooling family. 

TBH all the really nasty comments that have stayed with me are from other homeschoolers, I think! Over the whole unschooling/structure business. That's been far more hurtful, if I am honest. I wish we were better at just accepting that we are all on a path, trying to do the best for our family. I've probably only had a handful of really judgmental comments over something like seven years of HEing, but they are harder to shake off, aren't they?

ETA: clarity

#4 of 46 Old 09-23-2012, 07:19 AM

Our pediatrician has recently started asking questions about our homeschooling that presume things like my kids aren't learning any math.  I was thrown the first couple times it happened, but I think I'm at a point where I can address the presumption instead of the question she wrapped it into and make it ok.  I can deal with most comments when they are presented in a straight forward way, but this was kind of backhanded, and it threw me.  

We live in a town with very few pediatricians, and we're trying to move, so I don't want to shop for a new ped. right now, and based on our family history, I feel like it's important to be bringing my kids in for check ups regularly.  

#5 of 46 Old 09-23-2012, 08:00 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)

My girls have very bubbly and effusive public personalities, and it seems to preempt any comments people might make about our educational path.  The literally bounce up and down and jump and talk all at once about the caterpillar they brought home, the list of horse breeds the Farm is going to have, the video about Madagascar they watched a bazillion times, and any other little factoid they can share.  I've written before about how they will just shout out "mom! 3 fives is fifiteen!"  They still do this.  This last 2 weeks it has been almost non-stop.  They leave no room for doubt that what we are doing is working for them educationally, no doubt for me or anyone else getting caught up in their gravitational field.

I also have a talent for not letting others get a word in edgewise.  When I am asked about homeschooling and unschooling, I also give the impression that this is what is working for us for *now*.  "We are just riding the wave while it lasts" is something like what I would say.  

The only time I get annoyed is when I listen to parents and kids, and it seems like a strange parallel universe.  V-tech electronic toys so the kids can "start learning".  "I don't let her go over there because she starts exploring."  "He's so destructive.  He pulled every piece of clothing out of that bag and gave me that look.  Such a boy."  These are all comments I overheard yesterday at my grand-nephew's 1st birthday party, and the kids were very little and I was catching snippets of their lives in a couple of hours, but still-- completely different paradigm from mine.

rumi likes this.

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.
#6 of 46 Old 09-24-2012, 08:27 AM

Location: dining at the restaurant at the end of the universe
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

We are sort of in the home stretch (the Dumplings are 16 & 17), so it is a little different. When someone says something derogatory, I gently slip in, "YoungSon plans to join the Marines when he's 18", or "BigGirl plans to work for women's rights in the Middle East - she is studying Arabic". Both of those paths are so far from the preconceived notions that unschooled kids would be unprepared to contribute to society that the criticisms disappear.

Years ago, people would ask questions that implied they really didn't get it - like "What curriculum are you using?" or "How do you have the time/patience/self-discipline to homeschool?" I never needed, wanted, or used any of those things. We really just got on with the business of life each morning, enjoyed being together, and somehow the kids learned. But I rarely tried to explain or defend how and why that worked for us.

In one state we lived in, the school district asked what curriculum we would be using (district requirement?). I glibly lied and said Oak Meadows. Glad no one checked into it. But I did not see that moment as a time to discuss my radical ideas on educational philosophy. Unless a friend is sincerely interested, I consider this a private issue, and avoid the whole subject.

Rhu - mother,grandmother,daughter,sister,friend-foster,adoptive,and biological;not necessarily in that order. Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way (Jimmy Buffet)

#7 of 46 Old 09-24-2012, 09:10 AM

I would get comments about my firstborn not reading at the kinder level. And that bothered me some, but I could see he was still learning, so I just let it ride. Now that people (read: family) see he taught himself to read at age 8, they are just waiting for my 6yo to start to read by that time. 

I don't get too many negative comments other than that, but it could be that I'm such a crazy mom anyway, so they don't know what to do about me. lol

(Contrary to every other sibling, I pumped fulltime for my boys, I don't vaccinate, I didn't circ, I homeschool, and am very outspoken about it all. They just aren't sure what to do with me.)  :)

Homeschooling Ama to boys (ages 10 and 6) and my SoldierGirl who is serving in the US Army, StepMom to three crazy teens. I'm married to the love of my life. 

Love is an action word. 

Words have power...use them wisely.

Who you are is just enough.

Molon Labe

#8 of 46 Old 09-24-2012, 10:03 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Not much ruffles my feathers anymore.  Kiddo is 12 and has a path going for him.  

What DOES get me going is my own family.  They keep offering to pay for 'private school tuition' but won't just give me X amount of money to spend how I want.  So say "Fancy school" is 12k a year, I just can't get a check for 12k to spend however I want.  My family can't understand why I keep walking away from 'such a good educational opportunity' for kiddo and I just can't understand why money comes with strings attached. 

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#9 of 46 Old 09-25-2012, 08:05 PM

It bothers me when I see others whose kids are floundering in school, or even asking to be homeschooled, and they refuse even to consider it because it would be too hard, or because of the dreaded "s" word (socialization). I even have one aquaintance who stopped hanging out with us when we decided not to do school because she didn't want her dd to even know that it existed as an option! Ack! 

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

#10 of 46 Old 09-30-2012, 06:19 PM

We were on vacation this past week, and the owner of the ice cream shop was very chatty with us.  I got a strange vibe from him, and then he asked my ds what grade he was in.  eyesroll.gif  I was so proud of him.  He said, "Well, I would be in 2nd grade, but we homeschool."  Ice cream man then kept asking me questions, including, "What time do you start teaching them each morning?"  I mean, I know exactly where this is coming from, but to someone who has been de-schooling for the past decade, and deeply pondering learning, and combing through what I've been told vs. what I believe is true, the question was really unnerving.  I feel like I am facing someone who really has NO IDEA what I am about and what I am after for my children.  SO many people respond with something along the lines of, "I would homeschool too if I was in your school system."  I am not interested in giving up my children to any school, no matter where.  

I usually find it easy to be evasive but truthful, but ice cream man really bothered me.  At what time do I start teaching?  That question is so disconnected from facilitating a healthy, loving, whole, and deep education for my children.  Makes me sad!  I usually feel very misunderstood whenever I field homeschooling questions from non-homechooling people.  I grateful to have several friends in my shoes, and a very supportive husband who is on the same page.

#11 of 46 Old 09-30-2012, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Fly View Post

Ice cream man then kept asking me questions, including, "What time do you start teaching them each morning?" 

"Oh, you know, when we get around to it. Like, I'm teaching my child right now how to respond politely to rude questions. It's amazing what we can learn just by living our lives. Thanks for the ice cream! Have a great day!"

LOL

Homeschooling Ama to boys (ages 10 and 6) and my SoldierGirl who is serving in the US Army, StepMom to three crazy teens. I'm married to the love of my life. 

Love is an action word. 

Words have power...use them wisely.

Who you are is just enough.

Molon Labe

#12 of 46 Old 10-01-2012, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSilver View Post  

The only time I get annoyed is when I listen to parents and kids, and it seems like a strange parallel universe.  V-tech electronic toys so the kids can "start learning".  "I don't let her go over there because she starts exploring."  "He's so destructive.  He pulled every piece of clothing out of that bag and gave me that look.  Such a boy."  These are all comments I overheard yesterday at my grand-nephew's 1st birthday party, and the kids were very little and I was catching snippets of their lives in a couple of hours, but still-- completely different paradigm from mine.

yeahthat.gif  DS is only 17 months, but this is where we are at!  Super common.  I'm proud DS is such an adventurous explorer and serious scientist.  But I get alot of "OMG I can't believe you let him do that!  How dangerous!  What a huge mess!  I would never..." (we are talking things like getting muddy while throwing rocks into puddles or pouring a box of old pasta on the floor to play with and sort or learning to feed himself yogurt with a spoon over a rug eyesroll.gif).  I often smile and reframe these activities as "experiments in gravity" or some such label which is actually quite true!  Life is learning and learning is life - it's all messy - if it's not, you're not really trying! orngbiggrin.gif

And who made v-tech the authority on brain development???  headscratch.gif  It is so strange (and frightening) who we let define, limit, and monopolize "learning."

Quote:

Originally Posted by I Fly View Post

SO many people respond with something along the lines of, "I would homeschool too if I was in your school system."  I am not interested in giving up my children to any school, no matter where.  

In the city, we get TONS of this, too - um, sooooo not the point!!!!  But honestly, if it makes some people swallow it easier, then so be it - I'll take it.

I usually find it easy to be evasive but truthful, but ice cream man really bothered me.  At what time do I start teaching?  That question is so disconnected from facilitating a healthy, loving, whole, and deep education for my children.  Makes me sad!  

I would be tempted to answer something mysteriously cryptic - like, "A quarter past always, but a half hour 'til never."  And vanish with a wave of my magical cloak, hahaha.  I'm sorry, but what he said sounds so much like a riddle to me...I'd have to respond in kind. smile.gif

I am glad you have strong support, I Fly.  I find DH is supportive most of the time, having had a hard time being bored in school, and wanting to let DS learn what he wants, how he wants, when he wants, for as long as he wants - yet sometimes when I re-explain it to him, he gets scared and decides it sounds impossible.  I gently remind him of all of DS' accomplishments to date - all things he did on his own with our support - and ask him if he really thinks that we need to change the current system??? winky.gif

~ Lucky wife of DH blowkiss.gifand loving mama to DS biggrinbounce.gif (04/11) ~

treehugger.gif * femalesling.GIF * ecbaby2.gif *cd.gif * familybed1.gif * bf.gif * namaste.gif *

#13 of 46 Old 10-01-2012, 01:31 PM

PS - I am grateful for this experienced bunch for guidance and support.  People already think we are insane to be inclined to go this route, but I'm sure it will get weirder once DS is "school age" and becomes more real for them.  TIA, I suppose!

~ Lucky wife of DH blowkiss.gifand loving mama to DS biggrinbounce.gif (04/11) ~

treehugger.gif * femalesling.GIF * ecbaby2.gif *cd.gif * familybed1.gif * bf.gif * namaste.gif *

#14 of 46 Old 10-01-2012, 01:53 PM

It bothers me when people say that they wouldn't want to spend that much time with their children.  greensad.gif

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#15 of 46 Old 10-03-2012, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeygrrl View Post

"Oh, you know, when we get around to it. Like, I'm teaching my child right now how to respond politely to rude questions. It's amazing what we can learn just by living our lives. Thanks for the ice cream! Have a great day!"

LOL

I love this! Can't stop laughing. It is too, too true!

I was thinking this morning about how my kids are critical thinking superstars. I am so proud of what they value enough to learn.

I always love to say to them, your dad and I never did our homework, and look what we got... A happy family! Lol.

Jean, happy HS mom to Peter (5), Daniel (9) and Lucie (2) and also someone new... baby.gif
#16 of 46 Old 11-18-2012, 06:38 PM

I know I'm coming late to this thread, but just the other day I heard a comment, from a friend, no less, that made me sad. My girls were at her son's birthday party, and my 8 yo walked out (they were in a gymnastic facility) half way through, and said that it was too much like being in a class. We chatted a little, I encouraged her to go back, as she was there for the birthday boy, and eventually she went back in.

Later my friend told me that my 8 yo was turning to be just like my 10 yo, "unfit" for school, and that maybe it wasn't too late to change things for her. This really hurt my feelings. My 10 yo wouldn't do well in school, that's for sure--she is too independent, her thinking processes are very a-typical, she doesn't like academics at all. She's a stereotypical somewhat awkward homeschooler, who is valued and appreciated by adults--she feels at home with adults who don't behave like bratty 10 year olds. She's always been serious and mature, an over-thinker. However I consider most of this to be wonderful, and not a deficit (except for when I'm in my panic mode and we butt heads lol). The way my friend spoke sounded like she thought my girls were deficient.  

All I know that I wouldn't have liked the birthday party in a gym either--they kids were allowed to just run and roam for the first 10 minutes, and that was fun, but they they started games, and considering the birthday boy was 5, I wasn't surprised that DD felt over-structured and bored with the games geard to little kids. I reminded her of the purpose for being there, and she went back in. 

#17 of 46 Old 11-18-2012, 10:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
and it seems like a strange parallel universe.  V-tech electronic toys so the kids can "start learning".  "I don't let her go over there because she starts exploring."  "He's so destructive.  He pulled every piece of clothing out of that bag and gave me that look.  Such a boy."  These are all comments I overheard yesterday at my grand-nephew's 1st birthday party, and the kids were very little and I was catching snippets of their lives in a couple of hours, but still-- completely different paradigm from mine.

Yeah, I have a hard time knowing how to respond when people "complain" about the things their kids do that I find quite fascinating.  I try, as casually as possible to say something positive like, she is very curious or, testing the laws of motion ... or something.  You never know how far to go though. 

One annoying comment I got was that it was okay for my daughter to do this but she couldn't take the risk because she had a son, and he would have to get a job, etc. 

no longer  or  or ... dd is going on 12 (!) how was I to know there was a homeschool going on?
#18 of 46 Old 11-19-2012, 10:30 AM

The thing that drives me the craziest is my mother! She knows we're homeschooling our boys, the eldest is 3.5 yrs, that's it. Well, because she called when I was super frustrated she was like, he's nearly 4 and SHOULD be going to preschool for structure and learning how to be with kids that I haven't approved of. I was like, huh??? That makes no sense and no way. He learns far more at home and me being frustrated due to something else has nothing to do with it. Like seriously. Plus, why would I spend $$ on pre k when it's just glorified playtime when we do that here and everywhere else for free? Like seriously!! She just doesn't get it. She keeps referring to it as a "great time for me to get a break". From what, I have no idea.

Loving wife to DH partners.gif mama to DS1 3/13/09 sleepytime.gif, DS2 4/20/11 diaper.gif and expecting baby #3 in January! 3rdtri.gif

Professional violin.gifand attempting to computergeek2.gif while cd.gif femalesling.GIF learning.gif hang.gif knit.gif

#19 of 46 Old 11-19-2012, 11:55 AM

It's not specific comments that really get to me anymore...it's the general mentality. I have trouble understanding how otherwise reasonable people, who really SEEM to love their children, could prefer to have them raised by a constantly rotating group of strangers. 

Ds has really developed a game plan for his life over the past few months, and I have to say I'm REALLY looking forward to the bragging rights of my eldest unschooler becoming a doctor. He could still decide on a different path, but I'm going to be unbearable if this sticks the way it seems like it will. Dh and I are hoping to start having more kids within the next few year (I'm almost healthy enough to start trying again!), hopefully lots of them...and they are going to benefit from the most over confident, outspoken, unschooling mom ever. lol

Affordable organics delivered from GREEN POLKADOT BOX

Wife to jammin.gif Beast 

Mama to guitar.gif Crash (14) and hippie.gifSpritely (12)

#20 of 46 Old 11-21-2012, 05:58 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by incorrigible View Post

Ds has really developed a game plan for his life over the past few months, and I have to say I'm REALLY looking forward to the bragging rights of my eldest unschooler becoming a doctor. He could still decide on a different path, but I'm going to be unbearable if this sticks the way it seems like it will. Dh and I are hoping to start having more kids within the next few year (I'm almost healthy enough to start trying again!), hopefully lots of them...and they are going to benefit from the most over confident, outspoken, unschooling mom ever. lol

I hope your Ds's plans workout for him.  Look forward to further reports and the bragging.

For me, I hate when people tell me how socially disadvantaged my kids will be because they didn't go to school.  Although deep inside of me, I really believe homeschooling/unschooling is the right choice for our family, the socialization issue always hits my vulnerable spot. A couple of weeks ago I had a conversation with a Principal where he basically said sure you can teach them at home but so much more learning happens in school than book studying and regardless of what you do, you will never be able to reproduce that at home.  And I felt... doubtful -- even though I KNEW I am providing my children enough social time.  Pretty much everyday I feel like I am providing my children a top of the line experience by allowing them to stay home and be free.  Once in a while though, someone says something about all the awkward homeschooled people they know and I fear.  I wish I didn't.  Maybe with experience I won't anymore and I look forward to that.

#21 of 46 Old 11-21-2012, 07:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoebox View Post
Later my friend told me that my 8 yo was turning to be just like my 10 yo, "unfit" for school, and that maybe it wasn't too late to change things for her. This really hurt my feelings. My 10 yo wouldn't do well in school, that's for sure--she is too independent, her thinking processes are very a-typical, she doesn't like academics at all. She's a stereotypical somewhat awkward homeschooler, who is valued and appreciated by adults--she feels at home with adults who don't behave like bratty 10 year olds. She's always been serious and mature, an over-thinker. However I consider most of this to be wonderful, and not a deficit (except for when I'm in my panic mode and we butt heads lol). The way my friend spoke sounded like she thought my girls were deficient.  

See, I take that as a compliment!  My 10yo dd would not do well in school either, she uses her own mind way too much for the masses!  But, that's why she doesn't go to school.  The only way I've ever thought of for a person to be successful in school is to do what they're told.  I want my children to use their minds & think & be curious & ask lots of questions.  School does not value those things & for that reason, I'm soooooo glad my children are "unfit for school."  

Quote:
Originally Posted by organicviolin View Post

The thing that drives me the craziest is my mother! She knows we're homeschooling our boys, the eldest is 3.5 yrs, that's it. Well, because she called when I was super frustrated she was like, he's nearly 4 and SHOULD be going to preschool for structure and learning how to be with kids that I haven't approved of. I was like, huh??? That makes no sense and no way. He learns far more at home and me being frustrated due to something else has nothing to do with it. Like seriously. Plus, why would I spend $$ on pre k when it's just glorified playtime when we do that here and everywhere else for free? Like seriously!! She just doesn't get it. She keeps referring to it as a "great time for me to get a break". From what, I have no idea.

I won't lie - it is hard on me being w/ my children 24/7.  If I had a better system of getting time to myself, it'd be good, but I don't.  I'm not good at all w/ self care & it honestly worries me some because I really would like my daughter to be better at taking care of herself.  But, the answer isn't sending them to school, that's for sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by incorrigible View Post

It's not specific comments that really get to me anymore...it's the general mentality. I have trouble understanding how otherwise reasonable people, who really SEEM to love their children, could prefer to have them raised by a constantly rotating group of strangers. 

Oh, yeah, I don't get that either.  Especially from people who were close to their kids when they're young - like who nurse, co-sleep, etc..  Why would you want to raise these wonderful people to have them go off for hours & hours to be all wonderful w/other people?  I met a woman once who said she wouldn't homeschool, my memory is a bit foggy, but something along the lines of she wouldn't keep her kids out because their smart & then all that'd be left behind wouldn't be smart?!?!  Something like that.  Weird.  School is so deeply ingrained in people.  It makes me sad for the children & for what the family is missing.  But, I don't spend much time/energy on it. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by incorrigible View Post

That would be the ultimate - told you so! not that I say that to people.  But, wow, you wouldn't have to!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emaye View Post
For me, I hate when people tell me how socially disadvantaged my kids will be because they didn't go to school.  Although deep inside of me, I really believe homeschooling/unschooling is the right choice for our family, the socialization issue always hits my vulnerable spot. A couple of weeks ago I had a conversation with a Principal where he basically said sure you can teach them at home but so much more learning happens in school than book studying and regardless of what you do, you will never be able to reproduce that at home.  And I felt... doubtful -- even though I KNEW I am providing my children enough social time.  Pretty much everyday I feel like I am providing my children a top of the line experience by allowing them to stay home and be free.  Once in a while though, someone says something about all the awkward homeschooled people they know and I fear.  I wish I didn't.  Maybe with experience I won't anymore and I look forward to that.

I think that, generally, this kind of talk is really envy.  These people envy the time children have to actually be children!  They didn't get it themselves, their children aren't getting it, they don't want other children to, etc.  This is also fear: people do not believe it is possible to learn things like how to stand in line, how to sit for a class, etc., without school.  When people talk about "socialization" what they really mean is learning to be a drone.  People are challenged by those who think & do outside the box & a lot of homeschoolers & unschoolers are not in-the-box people!

As to the OPs question, what bothers me isn't what people say to me about my family & myself; it's what people say about thier kids & what they make their kids do.  I get very bothered by parents attempting to control their children & what they learn (this is coming from school-at-homers).  I am pretty sure it's because I was controlled thorough fear as a child so it really gets my dander up when I hear about others trying and sometimes succeeding in doing it to their children.  I'm working to make it so my issues do not become my children's issues & it's sad to me when I hear of others repeating the same to their children.  

My 2 cents :-).

Sus

Baby the babies while they're babies so they don't need babying for a lifetime.
#22 of 46 Old 11-21-2012, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama24-7 View Post

See, I take that as a compliment!  My 10yo dd would not do well in school either, she uses her own mind way too much for the masses!  But, that's why she doesn't go to school.  The only way I've ever thought of for a person to be successful in school is to do what they're told.  I want my children to use their minds & think & be curious & ask lots of questions.  School does not value those things & for that reason, I'm soooooo glad my children are "unfit for school."  

When I say this myself, I say it with pride ;-). But when a friend said it, with this particular tone of voice, it hurt my feelings. 

#23 of 46 Old 11-22-2012, 08:53 AM

I'm new the label "unschooling." but my reasons for not putting DD1 (3.5 years) in preschool very much align with principles of unschooling.  I think the most annoying thing is to be constantly told mainstream sentiments, over and over and over again, as if I've never heard of "socialization."  I tend to interrogate people when they go against the grain because I assume they have thoughtful motivations, and I'm curious to learn more about what they've decided.  But when people hear that I don't want to put my 3 year old, 3!, in school, they tell me, "she needs to learn to share, and take turns, and make friends, and be prepared for kindergarten."  It so hard to respond to these didactic comments sounding pendantic myself, so I usually don't say anything, and then people think I'm just a moron who's jeopardizing my child's future.

#24 of 46 Old 11-22-2012, 10:23 AM

Maptome, it may make you feel better to know that IME, it gets better. Preschool age was THE WORST for people trying to push, manipulate, and judge. Early grade school was still frustrating, but nowhere as bad. And the older the kids have gotten, the less of an issue our choices are. With ds14, people are often confused but generally very accepting of our choices.

Wife to jammin.gif Beast 

#25 of 46 Old 11-26-2012, 12:20 AM

Usually not too many things get to me but I recently was involved in a discussion on unschooling that was immensely annoying!

I live in a country where homeschooling is still pretty controversial for the average person, and most have never ever even heard or thought of the concept of unschooling.

What annoyed me the most was that before even knowing what it was the majority of the people involved already had very strong opinions on it, and then refused to hear anything more about it but continued giving their very uninformed opinions on it!

It ultimately ended up in a place where unschoolers were called elitist because only the very rich could ever afford to unschool successfully - don't even ask how it ended up there, like I said the people involved have very little understanding on the concept eyesroll.gif

Anyway it really irritated me, that they were trying to make me feel guilty about choices I've made for my family because other people "can't afford" to make the same choices.

As it was coming from a bunch of people who mainly CHOOSE to send their children to expensive private schools, and have their babies via elective c-sections in expensive private hospitals, their opinion on elitism is pretty laughable actually ROTFLMAO.gif

#26 of 46 Old 11-26-2012, 03:25 AM - Thread Starter

I'm glad you can laugh it off! Keeping a sense of humor helps.
#27 of 46 Old 12-29-2012, 11:15 PM

When I mentioned that we were unschooling to a neighboring camper that inquired about why dd was not in school, he started pontificating about why it was cruel that I was not going to let her learn about evolution. He was really upset! Once I could get a word in edgewise I was able to clarify, but he really threw me off! We'd just been talking about some evolutionary processes that morning! Typically, however, I don't get much flack. 

#28 of 46 Old 12-30-2012, 12:22 PM

My neighbor's parents were visiting them for the holidays and came to our Christmas gathering. After hearing that the kids were homeschooling they got very sad and proceeded to tell stories about several neices/nephews/grandkids that were homeschooled...apparently every on of them ended up a meth addicted single parent by 16, and went through 3-4 marriages by age 30. O.o

Wife to jammin.gif Beast 

#29 of 46 Old 12-30-2012, 10:24 PM

I think it's also annoying when folks say that it's only rich privileged two income families who can homeschool. And what really gets me is when people say by pulling our kids out to homeschool we are depriving the other kids who can't afford to be homeschooled.  My mother kept me in public schools because she believed they were a good public service and an equalizer and all that, but I was traumatized, bullied, and my self-esteem was and still is very low due to the way that we were always told we weren't good enough in so many ways. I grew up in the South where corporal punishment was used liberally in the public schools. My mother never spanked us and was proud of that, but she never stopped to consider that I witnessed many spankings and had a real fear of adults, in particular men (who were often the principals and spanked kids in my presence). I never felt that schools were on my side. I will not do that to my kids.

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

#30 of 46 Old 12-31-2012, 07:06 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

We recently decided to pull DD out of kindergarten and homeschool. DH's family is full of public school teachers and while many of them are supportive, a few are very skeptical and even seem to feel a bit threatened that we are doing this. The constant grilling about curriculums gets old quickly. I have no interest in purchasing an expensive curriculum, we learn by living and exploring on our own. They are so worried we won't cover everything and are we really qualified to do this? (Funny thing is, I actually have a PhD, it won't help me homeschool in anyway but considering how firmly they believe in formal education, I find it amusing that they think my 8+ years of university isn't sufficient).

The socialization thing gets me too, especially since I think if the average person had ANY idea what this word actually means they would realize how deficient public school is in this area. The only socialization I learned in public school was to keep a low profile to avoid becoming a bullying target. And also that smart kids were good, and "slow" learners were a burden.

Granola-ey, crunchy, marathoning, natural living Christian mamatreehugger.gif down south with DHguitar.gif and DD1 (6)dust.gif, DD2 (2)energy.gif, and DD3 babygirl.gif.    homebirth.jpgwinner.jpgcd.giffemalesling.GIFgoorganic.jpghomeschool.gif

Tags
Unschooling

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page