Drifting towards Unschooling - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 63 Old 11-15-2012, 11:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyKidKissTrees View Post

the not wanting them to depend on me for happiness is pretty self explanatory.  same reason we don't use praise to control their behavior.  just thank you if they do something helpful. or sharing our feelings if they upset us. i hope they will really get to know themselves without constantly looking back over their shoulder for me to be clapping/smiling.  they deserve to feel intrinsically good about the things they do.  not looking for outside motivation constantly.  so the not playing fits into this.  i know a mother who is the exact opposite of me and her children are incapable of sharing.  they've had every single toy related conflict mediated by a "professional" and never learned for themselves WHY sharing is important.  now she cant even leave her kids at their friends because they melt down with out a mediator navigating their conflicts with them.  

i used praise with my first and she definitely suffers because of it.  She will only do things when she thinks someone is watching and there to tell her what great work she did.  Its very sad.  My son.  hah.  He will grab a basket ball go down to the 10 ft tall hoop and at two years old throw the ball 25x without ever looking back to see what I think.  And he will exclaim, "Happy" randomly when he's doing thing.  It's just so refreshing to see how he doesn't need my approval to feel good about what he's doing. And thats really what "playing" with kids is.  Telling them they are "doing a good job" through your actions and thats cryptonite for independence and intrinsic motivation. 

Respectfully, I don't see how "playing with your kids" means they will depend on you for happiness. And I totally disagree that "playing with kids is telling them they're "doing a good job" through your actions". If that's how you feel when you play with your kids, then maybe you're doing it wrong...?

DH and I played tons with DS when he was little. Of course, DH and I also enjoyed board games, crafts and building projects together even before we had kids, so maybe we're unusually geeky? In any case, we still enjoy lots of playing as a family to this day, and for the record DS is a happy, well-adjusted, thoughtful 14yo kid who's incredibly self-motivated and independent-minded.

My mom rarely played with my siblings and me past the toddler years, and we turned out just fine. But this doesn't make the converse true, and I wouldn't want to see new parents become fearful of playing with their kids based on unfounded generalizations like this. 

#62 of 63 Old 11-15-2012, 01:08 PM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by filteragainstfolly View Post

If that's how you feel when you play with your kids, then maybe you're doing it wrong...?

Not "doing it wrong," I don't think. It's just a case of who you are and what you enjoy. Again, as I said earlier in the thread, I think it comes down to authenticity. If you genuinely enjoy playing with your kids, then it's definitely healthy and natural to do so. If that's not who you are, if you don't take delight in connecting with them through sports or imaginary play or whatever, if you would do so only in order to consciously model for them that you value what they're doing, then you're best to find other ways to connect with your kids. 

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

#63 of 63 Old 11-17-2012, 03:29 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Yeah im not saying dont play ever if you like it.  im saying dont feel obligated to do something if you have to fake it.  But people with just one kid are living a completely different life than people with 2 or more.  its easy to play with one kid.  i will make crafts, i like that.  but if i spent the day playing, my house would be a disaster area.  there would be no healthy dinners.  maybe its just my kids.  but if i do something ONCE, they will MELT DOWN if I dont "be consistent"  and i just cant handle daily meltdowns because i am cooking or cleaning instead of playing.  I do hide and seek and dance with them.  But when they get their toy boxes out, I hit the kitchen.  and i like to stay out of their imaginary worlds.  its much more entertaining to see them create things on their own.

DD1 7 1/2 years DS1 3 1/2 years And DS2   7/18/13

Tags
Unschooling

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page