News article: Given Tablets But No Teachers, Ethiopian Kids Teach Themselves - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 10-31-2012, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Given Tablets But No Teachers, Ethiopian Kids Teach Themselves

Excerpt: 

Earlier this year, OLPC workers dropped off closed boxes containing the tablets, taped shut, with no instruction. “I thought the kids would play with the boxes. Within four minutes, one kid not only opened the box, found the on-off switch … powered it up. Within five days, they were using 47 apps per child, per day. Within two weeks, they were singing ABC songs in the village, and within five months, they had hacked Android,” Negroponte said. “Some idiot in our organization or in the Media Lab had disabled the camera, and they figured out the camera, and had hacked Android.”

Elaborating later on Negroponte’s hacking comment, Ed McNierney, OLPC’s chief technology officer, said that the kids had gotten around OLPC’s effort to freeze desktop settings. “The kids had completely customized the desktop—so every kids’ tablet looked different. We had installed software to prevent them from doing that,” McNierney said. “And the fact they worked around it was clearly the kind of creativity, the kind of inquiry, the kind of discovery that we think is essential to learning.”

“If they can learn to read, then they can read to learn.”

#2 of 4 Old 11-01-2012, 10:19 PM

Location: dining at the restaurant at the end of the universe
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I find this SO exciting! I doubt they had internet access - but what if they had? My imagination is on a roll here - this has life-changing, no, world-changing, implications.

Thank you, Lillian, for posting this.

Rhu - mother,grandmother,daughter,sister,friend-foster,adoptive,and biological;not necessarily in that order. Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way (Jimmy Buffet)

#3 of 4 Old 11-02-2012, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamarhu View Post

I find this SO exciting! I doubt they had internet access - but what if they had? My imagination is on a roll here - this has life-changing, no, world-changing, implications.

Thank you, Lillian, for posting this.

Oh! I hadn't thought of that! I hope they had/have some Internet access. But yes, it's pretty exciting either way!   Lillian

#4 of 4 Old 11-03-2012, 09:12 AM

Incredible! My hubby got me a tablet for my birthday. My kids can do things with it that I can't!

Tags
Unschooling

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page