Kids Who Want to Roam - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 11-11-2012, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

How far would you late a 6.5 year old roam?  Under what conditions?  I live in an apartment complex and he wants to be able to go out on his own and play/walk/explore.  I am not sure if I should let him.  Also, the 4.5 year old is sure gonna want to follow, which is a problem.  I have been thinking about this for a while and wanted to know what the norm is for other families.  

#2 of 5 Old 11-11-2012, 09:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

In our neighborhood there is a kid that age who is pretty immature, but it allowed to go anywhere on our block and he does fine. He know he's supposed to be home by sundown, and his mom has introduced herself to much of the nighborhood. He comes over to play with my son sometimes, and helps the nieghbors with thier chickens and goats (we do live in a city, Portland, OR, but they allow chickens and goats). 

Check out freerangekids.com that site (and book) are great for easing your fears about letting your kid be independent. 

- Mom to Baby Mark (9/18/10) and 4 wonderful dogs!
#3 of 5 Old 11-12-2012, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8boarder15 View Post

In our neighborhood there is a kid that age who is pretty immature, but it allowed to go anywhere on our block and he does fine. He know he's supposed to be home by sundown, and his mom has introduced herself to much of the nighborhood. He comes over to play with my son sometimes, and helps the nieghbors with thier chickens and goats (we do live in a city, Portland, OR, but they allow chickens and goats). 

Check out freerangekids.com that site (and book) are great for easing your fears about letting your kid be independent. 

I think if I were in a regular neighborhood, then I would probably not hesitate but I am in a city.  We live in an apartment floor high up.  So it means he gets down and out on his own and he won't be in my line of vision.  My son is pretty careful and very much a listener.  I am thinking of doing a trial run sometime this week or next week to see how it goes.  But he would have to have some sort of communication device with him just in case he or I need to get in touch.  

Totally off topic: chickens and goats in Portland?  That is pretty cool :) 

#4 of 5 Old 11-20-2012, 09:12 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I love free-range kids, but I also think it depends on the neighborhood.  

Would he be walking or on a bike?  Are there other kids to hang out in the neighbhorhood, do you know them?  Do you know other people in the neighborhood well?  Do you have their numbers, etc.? 

When I was young under 5, all the kids in the neighborhood would all hang out together almost all day long with almost no adult supervision, but it was all ages of kids and the older kids watched out for the younger kids although at the age of 3 and 4, I knew not to cross the street, go with strangers or go anywhere I didn't know and I didn't go anywhere alone really except maybe out the back door to the playground or I'd walk the sidewalk directly in front of my house.  With the group of us though we'd walk the whole block and further.

I live in an apartment complex too but I don't feel comfortable letting my 5 year old go out by herself.  Maybe if I sat on the patio and there were other kids out for her to play with I would.  

At the last place we lived I would let her outside to play in our lot(we lived in an RV park) or to go to the neighbors 1,2, and 3 doors down, but it was a very friendly, small neighborhood everyone knew each other, there was almost always someone outside and if she was out there awhile the other kids would certainly come out to play with her at some point.  I didn't leave her out by herself for very long though, she was 3.5-4 at the time.  There was also a mutual understanding that people would watch out for all the kids and we could see and hear her from inside, we often kept the door open too if the weather was nice, without watching her.  She knew not to go anywhere on her own, obviously not with strangers and she didn't cross the street.  

#5 of 5 Old 11-21-2012, 10:22 AM

I love the free range philosophy, but I'm not comfortable even with my 8 in elevators by herself. I'm not sure about my 10 year old. Maybe I just don't like elevators. lol.gif

We live in a house in a quiet neighborhood, and my mature 10 yo has been free to roam (to some extent) since she was 7.5.

Tags
Unschooling

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page