State required tracking - How do you record News watching? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 01-03-2013, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My oldest daughter loves to read the news, I think in part because it gives her things to talk about with many of the adults in her life. She does this for about a half hour a day. 

My issue as it often is with such things, is that I am not sure how to record this for her state required tracking. Do I put it down in social studies? Or Reading? 

I really loath having to nit pick tracking like this.... 

Army wife to wonder hubby. Mama to 4 and Surrogate mother x2.: Zoey Born 5/7/2010
#2 of 13 Old 01-03-2013, 02:08 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)

My flippant reply is anywhere you think it might be needed.

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.
#3 of 13 Old 01-03-2013, 05:31 PM

I agree with Sweet Silver.  It probably wouldn't fly as math, but there are probably aspects of all the rest of the subjects in it, and the tracking isn't really for anyone's benefit, anyhow.  

#4 of 13 Old 01-04-2013, 11:37 AM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Interpretation of statistics is definitely math.

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

#5 of 13 Old 01-04-2013, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter

The tracking is sadly required and so doing it well means it is beneficial to our homeschooling as it keeps others from wanting to take away our rights to do so. 

I wish I didn't find it so difficult with the less than common looking learning. Finding the right vocabulary to list things is part of the issue in my part I think. I wouldn't have thought that my daughter explaining the difference in violence in our country with 50% of the worlds guns and other parts of the world as "statistical analysis" though it is. I wish there was a website that would help label different learning situations in ways that easily lend themselves to recording for those of us that have to by law or by choice. 

Army wife to wonder hubby. Mama to 4 and Surrogate mother x2.: Zoey Born 5/7/2010
#6 of 13 Old 01-04-2013, 04:54 PM

American politics, social studies, ...?

DS arrived 3/10/10, DD arrived 3/13/13, and a third will be joining us around 5/20/14. pos.gif
#7 of 13 Old 01-04-2013, 05:25 PM

Well, in school it would be current events which would fall under social studies or global affairs or civics depending on what the school called it.  So it is certainly social studies, depending on the actual content it could be math, reading, sociology.  

#8 of 13 Old 01-04-2013, 05:41 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)

in my state we need to keep a reading log (books only, by subject), newspapers were part of current events, under social studies 

Have you check with a local HS group as per your regulations? I had to do a state evaluation each year and the evaluator knew the regulations so I was able to just ask.

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#9 of 13 Old 01-04-2013, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kontessa View Post

I wish there was a website that would help label different learning situations in ways that easily lend themselves to recording for those of us that have to by law or by choice. 

Now there's an idea!

ETA: perhaps she could keep a list of the articles that stood out for her.  Then, she could help classify the information.  You could even save some key articles for your records.  

#10 of 13 Old 01-05-2013, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kontessa View Post

I wish there was a website that would help label different learning situations in ways that easily lend themselves to recording for those of us that have to by law or by choice. 

Now there's an idea!

only as good as your state! mine can vary greatly by district, while we have very loose state requirements it is up to the local district to sign off, if you would rock the boat they could make it harder for you- local districts must approve your desire to HS and if you doing what they feel is enough-regarless that the state really does not oversea it-crazy

&

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#11 of 13 Old 01-05-2013, 08:05 AM

WA, the school districts don't sign off anything.  You declare intent with them, and that is the end of their involvement if you want it to be.  You are not asking "Can I homeschool?"  You are stating "I am homeschooling" and declaring intent is meant to show that your child is not truant.

Relevant to the OP's dilemma: Our state specifically states that you need not cover the 11 subject requirements separately, so a newspaper can be many things all at once-- social studies, history, science, and, yes, mathematics.

What is the requirement for Maryland regarding this?  Have you dealt with record-keeping before?  Or are you new to this?

#12 of 13 Old 01-11-2013, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenbat View Post

in my state we need to keep a reading log (books only, by subject), newspapers were part of current events, under social studies 

Have you check with a local HS group as per your regulations? I had to do a state evaluation each year and the evaluator knew the regulations so I was able to just ask.

As we are in an umbrella school that is mostly unschoolers, everyone tends to do their own thing. The ones who review our end of year report are unschoolers as well so I can certainly ask them. Mothering is so much bigger than the umbrella so I thought to ask here first though. The umbrella doesn't really seem to care how things are reported, just that they are, and that they look good. I am trying to make sure I make my daughters effort look good and am having a hard time with this news topic as it covers so much! 

#13 of 13 Old 01-11-2013, 10:47 AM

Quote:
The umbrella doesn't really seem to care how things are reported, just that they are, and that they look good.

if no one really cares, can you just fill in an empty section?

&

Tags
Unschooling

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page