European handwriting samples - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 01-09-2013, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)

8yo dd2 has expressed interest in tidying up her handwriting.  She writes block letters neatly now, the only "improvement" would be proportion and spacing, and adding lowercase letters.  I have always used unlined paper to de-emphasize proportion until her hand strength and control has caught up--and it has after many years of struggle.

OK, to the point...

I am looking for the kind of samples like they would use to teach children to write in, say, France, and some brief google searches didn't turn up what I wanted.

Any suggestions?

I bought that double-lined paper in a couple of sizes, created a couple of sample pages of print and script to tape up somewhere.  On one page I wrote her name in the traditional American style, both print and cursive.  Then, a couple, more natural styles of my own--my own script and my more usual, "swoopy" print, which I find the easiest and most natural.  

(Aside:  it was really, really hard to make my writing legible!!  I used to have very neat handwriting, but I can also be terribly messy as I am a fast writer and the pens nearly always slow me down, and....yeah right....that's a good one.... 2whistle.gif)

Anyhow, I like the European style of handwriting, because it has that same dynamic as my "swoopy" print.  I know there are courses for cursive-style print, but (yawn!) I want to see that ultra-cool, Euro-style writing, so I can practice it (I love calligraphy) and let dd see it.  Also, I  see a future in writing elegant, Euro-style placards for our tres fabulous market stand.  orngtongue.gif

I wanted to add that I am thrilled we have reached this point.  Most of her improvement has come from writing names of her "fairies"--paper dolls.  Her writing is small and neat--leaps and bounds from where she was when she could barely write "tuna" before she tired.  She has always, always struggled with motor skills in her fingers, and now she is writing and drawing and coloring everyday.

joy.gif

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.
#2 of 6 Old 01-09-2013, 12:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi!  We're in Catalonia and I just googled "lletra lligada fitxes" under images and it came up with loads of worksheets and samples.  Maybe this is what you're looking for?

#3 of 6 Old 01-09-2013, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)

Yes, that is a good start!

I found this:

https://plus.google.com/photos/107667365391722481376/albums/5697197350189425377?banner=pwa

Funny that I can recognize some of the shapes from writing I have seen, but I sense that adult handwriting there becomes a bit sloppier there as it does here!

Thanks!

Any other recommendations?

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.
#4 of 6 Old 01-09-2013, 01:53 PM

It does get worse and I can't count the number of times I've squinted over student essays trying to figure out what's written (I teach English to adults)! It's strange to me because this is what preschoolers start learning to write with here. It's even more fun to try and figure out what kids are writing as they apply their own, different, phonetics with squiggly, wobbly, different letters... I had to decipher several holiday cards my kids' friends wrote while the child patiently listened!

I had a moment where I wondered if I should be using this when my kids ask me to write things, but then I realized my kids' main contact with print is all in "standard" writing and I threw the idea out the window.  I figure I'll give them the information if they ask...  

I'll keep my eyes open and ask in our homeschool group if I remember

#5 of 6 Old 01-10-2013, 08:04 AM

Try looking up D'nealian handwriting. It is a more sloppy italic looking style than Zaner Bloser which is more blocky.

http://www.dnealian.com/
#6 of 6 Old 01-10-2013, 08:05 AM

Ag! Not "sloppy!" *swoopy*. Damn auto correct!!!!!!

Tags
Unschooling

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page