Textbook recommnedations - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 01-18-2013, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Hey. Future unschooling mom here. Just wondering if any of you do buy any sort of textbooks here or there if you have a company/publisher, etc. that you prefer or recommend.

TIA

belly.gif1***5****10****15****20****25****30****35heartbeat.gif***40babygirl.gif

#2 of 12 Old 01-19-2013, 01:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

We have gotten quite a few books from Scholastic.   They aren't textbooks but they relate to academic subjects - like the Murderous Maths series, Horrible Histories, etc.  

We get a lot of books in general though.   

Rik-E likes this.

no longer  or  or ... dd is going on 12 (!) how was I to know there was a homeschool going on?
#3 of 12 Old 01-19-2013, 09:01 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We don't really have "text" books. Although ds is 5 so I guess that *could* change. We get most of our books from thrift stores and the library. If there is a specific title we search amazon used first, sometimes eBay or half.com.
Rik-E likes this.
#4 of 12 Old 01-19-2013, 09:01 AM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 64 Post(s)

For us textbooks have been very child-specific and subject-specific. We tend not to go for general school subject overviews, mainstream approaches or mainstream levels, since by the time my kids have learned naturally and organically about a subject to the point that they're wanting more depth, they are well beyond the basic levels and have strong ideas about what they're looking for. We've liked Art of Problem Solving's math texts, Cambridge Latin, Grout and Burkholder for music history, Campbell for AP/college biology. Most of these are high school level and beyond. Prior to that level, as I say, a textbook approach was not wanted or needed. We used non-textbook books, experiences, conversation, projects, videos, podcasts, judicious amounts of workbook stuff, the internet, community mentors and such.

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

#5 of 12 Old 01-19-2013, 04:25 PM

We do have  afew textbooks, although they get very little use. Mainly we collect educational subject books.
EyeWitness books on specific subjects are great!  Also DK (Dorling Kindersley) reference books are a big hit.
Max Axium science books in graphic novel form too! Actually any 'school' book in graphic novel form goes over well.

#6 of 12 Old 01-19-2013, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik-E View Post

Mainly we collect educational subject books.

Yes, we enjoyed a lot of these, and I second the ones you recommended. 

Miranda

#7 of 12 Old 01-20-2013, 01:11 PM

i'm not an unschooler at all, but http://www.fun-books.com/ is really great. i discovered the website through lillianj's recommendation a few years back, and she did unschool (her son is in college now) - so i thought it was worth mentioningsmile.gif

homeschooling mama to DD 10 & DS 7 blogging.jpg

#8 of 12 Old 01-21-2013, 08:29 AM

Mine really enjoyed Teaching Textbooks math series.

And http://www.amazon.com/Anatomy-Coloring-Book-Wynn-Kapit/dp/0805350861 though it's not exactly a textbook.

I don't think they really touched on anything else in any kind of formal way until this year. They both decided to enroll in a self paced correspondence high school recently and are really enjoying the program.

Affordable organics delivered from GREEN POLKADOT BOX

Wife to jammin.gif Beast 

Mama to guitar.gif Crash (14) and hippie.gifSpritely (12)

#9 of 12 Old 01-21-2013, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by incorrigible View Post

Mine really enjoyed Teaching Textbooks math series.

And mine hated it, lol!

Just goes to show you how individual choices and preferences are with curricula.

Miranda

#10 of 12 Old 01-21-2013, 12:41 PM

It really does. I hadn't even thought about it, but I can understand why some would hate it. My kids have always had particularly academic interests. They take after me like that. Beast is not like us at all, and a child that shares his way of thinking would probably hate most of the things my kids love. Teaching textbooks was just another addictive puzzle game, around here. ;)

Affordable organics delivered from GREEN POLKADOT BOX

Wife to jammin.gif Beast 

Mama to guitar.gif Crash (14) and hippie.gifSpritely (12)

#11 of 12 Old 01-21-2013, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by incorrigible View Post

My kids have always had particularly academic interests. 

My kids too. Heck my 9-year-old is sitting in the living room dividing mixed fractions by mixed fractions as I type. But overall we just found Teaching Textbooks pedantic and repetitious, compared to the more conceptual approach to math they'd used previously. It was not very amenable to grazing and skimming through material: the only way to discover whether there was anything new and not completely self-evident in an exercise was to work through it step-wise.

I don't want to turn this into a Teaching Textbooks rant. I think the format is wonderful; if the content and pacing fit your child's needs I can see why it would be good approach. For my kids although the presentation was lovely it was just not the math diet they were looking for.

Miranda

#12 of 12 Old 01-21-2013, 05:02 PM

Another fan of the Art of Problem Solving.  They recently began a series for elementary aged kids called "Beast Academy".  The text is a cartoon/graphic novel format and they make a point of talking about what's interesting about all of the math they introduce, and will have fun games related to the topic.  We only have the first one, but I plan to get the rest as they become available-- they would be nice to have around if you had a younger kid interested in math.

My kids have enjoyed the Story of the World too.  

Tags
Unschooling

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page