5 year old playing Minecraft - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 01-23-2013, 12:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My son has started playing Minecraft the past month. I have gotten into it with him. He really enjoys it but doesn't know anyone else that plays. Does anyone have kids that play and can tell me how to enter a code to play together? I'm lost on that part!  Also, how much Minecraft is too much? haha

#2 of 10 Old 01-23-2013, 07:48 AM

We have a 6-year old son and a 4 1/2 year-old who are now obsessed with minecraft, going strong now since about christmas.

What you will need:

1)  a registered account for each player ($26.95 per account from minecraft.net).   

2)  a computer (desktop or laptop) for each player

3)  a router for your home network

To play with your kid(s) at home:

a)  start up a single player game on 'your' machine, using your registered minecraft account

b)  hit the ESCape key and select "open to LAN"

c) on your child's machine, log in to minecraft under his account and choose "multiplayer".  At this point, the machine should recognize that there is a LAN game available and you can connect to it.

The above is assuming you have the PC version, of course.   I tried to get multiple machines to connect to each other using my own account, but it didnt work.   When i bought 'gift codes' and registered unique accounts for each of my kids, it worked like a charm!   I much prefer playing on our own LAN rather than exposing my kids to the wild west of the internet at their young age.  We have a blast

#3 of 10 Old 01-24-2013, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter

I downloaded a version onto the PC. It isn't registered so I guess I cannot play from my PC with him on his?

#4 of 10 Old 01-24-2013, 05:11 PM

correct, you need to purchase an account for each player via http://minecraft.net/store to enable multiplayer.  The minecraft game file (minecraft.exe) is free, but multiplayer requires the paid version, which is account-based

#5 of 10 Old 01-27-2013, 10:02 PM

My 4-year-old likes to play with us. She can't do much yet, but she likes to sit in our lap and help us design stuff.

I've started playing with other people on an unschooler server online. Check it out" http://www.icomputerz.net/
#6 of 10 Old 02-07-2013, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Okay we got two accounts now! All paid for ;) I found a server last night and we played for a long time building a lot, and now today the server won't connect. I'm going to try to open a LAN and play that way. I applied for the unschooling whitelist server from the link about, but I am not completely sure what unschooling is. We have a lot of fun but most servers we find are hard to play and confusing and has bad behaviors.

#7 of 10 Old 02-07-2013, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by prouddad3 View Post

We have a 6-year old son and a 4 1/2 year-old who are now obsessed with minecraft, going strong now since about christmas.

What you will need:

1)  a registered account for each player ($26.95 per account from minecraft.net).   

2)  a computer (desktop or laptop) for each player

3)  a router for your home network

To play with your kid(s) at home:

a)  start up a single player game on 'your' machine, using your registered minecraft account

b)  hit the ESCape key and select "open to LAN"

c) on your child's machine, log in to minecraft under his account and choose "multiplayer".  At this point, the machine should recognize that there is a LAN game available and you can connect to it.

The above is assuming you have the PC version, of course.   I tried to get multiple machines to connect to each other using my own account, but it didnt work.   When i bought 'gift codes' and registered unique accounts for each of my kids, it worked like a charm!   I much prefer playing on our own LAN rather than exposing my kids to the wild west of the internet at their young age.  We have a blast

Okay I did exactly as you said. I went on my sons computer, yes a PC, and clicked multiplayer, it recognized my open LAN world but would not connect at all to it. I tried starting a world on his PC and opening to LAN then came to my PC but it won't even recognize an open LAN at all ;(

#8 of 10 Old 02-07-2013, 08:26 PM

My son's friend had this problem at a Minecraft playdate here a few days ago-- turned out his laptop's firewall was blocking it. Try turning off the firewall on his computer and see if that does it...

Writing, reading, unschooling. 

#9 of 10 Old 02-28-2013, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashleynicole228 View Post

Okay I did exactly as you said. I went on my sons computer, yes a PC, and clicked multiplayer, it recognized my open LAN world but would not connect at all to it. I tried starting a world on his PC and opening to LAN then came to my PC but it won't even recognize an open LAN at all ;(

ah ok, yeah Minecraft LAN can be finicky with firewalls.   The good news is since your son's computer can see your world, you are close.  (I went through similar hoops)

1)  First thing to try is:  write down the number (ie 192.168.1.251:54567 *just an example*) that you see from your son's computer after it sees the open LAN world on your computer.  Then on that same screen, choose "direct connect" option and type in that exact string of numbers that you saw.   For some reason, direct connect works 'better' that simply clicking on the open LAN world.  Hopefully, this will do the trick

If this doesn't work or if your operating system (OS) is windows 7, let me know

#10 of 10 Old 03-13-2013, 08:05 PM

sorry, I know this is an old thread but couldn't help resurrecting it! My husband just started playing Minecraft on the XBox and our daughter is enthralled. (I probably would be too but I have no time to play!) I may set up her homeschool laptop to play too. Need to check out the specs.

Michelle -- geeky homeschooling mama

Tags
Unschooling

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page