"Planet Earth" type videos for 3 year old? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 02-20-2013, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Has anyone watched the Planet Earth series with young children?  DD turned 3 the end of December and has taken an interest in animals through magazines and books. Are there other series that are good for her age?  We try to limit TV but I figure something like this once in a while would be so much better than anything else on TV nowadays. Thanks!

SAHM to DD1 shy.gif, DD2 baby.gif, and one m/c angel.gif

#2 of 17 Old 02-21-2013, 07:58 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)

Have you watched the series with her, or just interested in it?  My girls would have liked something like this, and still would.  

Right now, we have the 3-part series "Madagascar" back in the house.  Narrated by Richard Attenborough.  Simply gorgeous-- one of the best nature shows I've seen.  We didn't get it until last year (they are now 6 and 8) but I'm sure they would have loved it when they were younger.

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.
#3 of 17 Old 02-21-2013, 09:29 AM

We watch all the David Attenborough documentaries with ds. He's 5.5 now and we've been watching them since he was 4 or maybe younger. I can't recall whether or not we watched them at 3 as we didnt watch that much with him then.

He also gets the Ranger Rick Jr. magazine. And has been getting it for several years. He really likes it.
#4 of 17 Old 02-21-2013, 09:39 AM

My son used to like the EyeWitness videos at that age; lots of nature topics (Pond, Ocean, Arctic, Butterflies, Cat etc). Your library might have them. 

Writing, reading, unschooling. 

#5 of 17 Old 02-21-2013, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for all the suggestions!  We have not watched the Planet Earth series with her yet.  I was typing my original post a bit too fast and meant for it to ask if it is age appropriate haha.  Oops. I think we might just go ahead and watch it with her in segments, and just explain what is happening.  We don't want to shelter her from nature but don't want to scare her away from it either.  We will definitely look into the other ones that have been suggested as well! 

#6 of 17 Old 02-21-2013, 11:16 AM

My only complaint about Planet Earth and some recent BBC nature films, is their overuse of slow-motion.  This would never have bugged me so much--just look at the detail!-- but 3yo have no notion of slow motion and I feel some obligation to explain what was slow and full speed.  Then to use it so much-- even I find it annoying for myself.  I also find computer simulations to be problematic, too, for the same reason.  The History Channel is particularly bad with this, and they don't say "simulation", nor do they explain when video footage is taken from another similar event, like one on an otherwise good documentary on Mt. St. Helens, they showed film footage that was obviously a similar eruption in the Caribbean, but none of it was noted.  I found that annoying.

Another series I liked, that my girls have liked for years, was Triumph of Life, with 6 episodes.  

#7 of 17 Old 02-22-2013, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter

That's a really good point!  I wouldn't have thought of that.  Although, when looking at dinosaur books for DD, I did pass on one that showed dinosaurs in a city (comparing the size and amount of space they would take up) because I didn't want her to put the two together thinking dinosaurs live in cities. 

#8 of 17 Old 02-22-2013, 03:12 PM

Frozen planet might be a good tv show...the Alec Baldwin narration is funnier somehow...

You may want to also consider shows like...animal kingdom? I only know it in Spanish (which is Rieno Animal). This takes an aspect of animals and highlights them for half an hour (hooves, fur, swimming mammals, dogs, etc) using real animals in their habitat or zoos. It also has commercial break quizzes and is silly and informative.

And my son really loved the series walking with dinosaurs & walking with beasts (you can get them for free on YouTube). They are kinda gory...so you may want to avoid it.

hola.gif My life in emoticon...oh, I've said too much blahblah.gif

lactivist.gifselectivevax.giftoddler.giffamilybed2.giftrekkie.giftreehugger.gifwash.gif

#9 of 17 Old 02-23-2013, 07:50 AM

Do you mean "Animal Atlas"?  Those are fun.  Not "PLanet Earth"-type, but fun.

#10 of 17 Old 02-24-2013, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter

Lots of great ideas here!  Thank you so much!  I can't wait to see which ones our library has this week. 

#11 of 17 Old 05-03-2013, 11:50 PM

We got the old VHS series " Zoo life with Jack Hanna" and it's great.

Not animals eating each other with blood everywhere.

We love it.

Maybe you could find it online.

#12 of 17 Old 05-03-2013, 11:50 PM

Woops...didn't mean to double post...sorry

#13 of 17 Old 05-04-2013, 08:11 AM

Two narrated by David Attenborough we have loved:

Madagascar

Life in Cold Blood

#14 of 17 Old 05-04-2013, 11:19 AM
esg

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm going to write down some of these suggestions. I watch planet earth with my two year old and he enjoys it. They're pretty tame though we did have a discussion about what crocs eat and why. Good stuff though.

Single mama by choice to sonbabyf.gif 2/2011.
I love showing my little sweetheart (now a busy preschooler!) the world!

#15 of 17 Old 07-17-2013, 05:02 PM

DD has loved David Attenborough's stuff since she was about 3 as well. 

Would highly recommend the Blue Planet series. Spectacular stuff.

DD also loved Life in the Undergrowth.

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#16 of 17 Old 08-01-2013, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter

A little update: We've been getting dvds from the library and DD loves them! Her favorite right now is Discovery channel Oceanic about humpback whales. They follow a mother and baby which is right up DDs alley. She pairs off her stuffed animals with moms and babies. Thank you, everyone, for all the suggestions!!

#17 of 17 Old 08-09-2013, 02:34 AM

My husband has all of the Life series narrated by David Attenborough. DD loves it. The cinematography is just amazing.

Also, a really old documentary that is not 100% accurate but incredibly entertaining is Animals Are Beautiful People. Maybe from the 1970s or 1980s. It's a favorite around here.

Mama to a bright 5 y/o girl dust.gif and a beautiful boy born 03/10/12 fly-by-nursing1.gif Loving unschooling, 2xuc.jpgfamilybed2.gif ecbaby2.gifand natural living in Hawaii.rainbow1284.gif

Tags
Unschooling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page