Son is unattentive in PS, but is very smart... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 03-26-2013, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

IDK what to do. My son is in 1st grade in public school. His grades are good in the classes he likes, but the ones he is bored with tend to be a bit low. I want so much to homeschool/unschool him, but I'm not sure I can afford to quit my full time job. We're not used to living on 1 income, but I really do feel that my son would thrive even more in a personalized environment. Do you, as experienced unschoolers, feel that it would be better for a child in a gifted class to do unschooling? His main "issue" is his lack of attentiveness in class; he is bored so he uses his imagination to play games (by himself, not interrupting other students) and gets lost on what the teacher is discussing. Usually math. I'm welcoming ANY advice or suggestions you may have - I greatly appreciate everything you have to offer! :)

#2 of 4 Old 03-26-2013, 08:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Do you have a homeschooling family in your area that he could join for childcare while you're at work?

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#3 of 4 Old 03-26-2013, 08:40 PM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
It depends on so much. I have four gifted kids and all have thrived in an unschooling environment through the elementary and middle school years. (They've thus far chosen to attend school as teens either part- or full-time.) For us it has been amazing. They've thrived, they've loved their childhoods, they've become incredibly interesting people with amazing skills and interests.

But... unschooling fits with our life as we chose it and with our kids' desires. We chose to live in a rural, fairly remote area not near many schools, leading a simple single-income life in a tolerant, do-it-yourself kind of community that is very accepting of homeschooling and alternative choices. I wouldn't say that any of that is necessary, but it did make unschooling a natural and not difficult choice for us.

Quitting a full-time job, if you like your work and earn a decent income that you're accustomed to living on, is a big step. Pulling a kid from a gifted program, particularly if enrolment is limited and requalification may be necessary if he wants to re-enter the school system at some point, is a big step. Dramatically changing one's educational course is a big move. If you consider all the factors and decide it's worth trying, I have no doubt it could work very well indeed.

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

#4 of 4 Old 03-27-2013, 11:03 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Your son sounds like me in first grade! I loved history and and language/arts but math was not my thing. I remember daydreaming and using my imagination during class and totally tuning out my teacher. You're facing a tough desicion. Homeschooling was not an option for me. I stuck it out in public school and eventually outgrew that phase in about 3rd or 4th grade.

***Alive In Him***

Tags
Unschooling

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page