Spring edition: What has your Unschooling family been up to? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 35 Old 05-17-2013, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by moominmamma View Post

SweetSilver, the story about the birdhouse deserves to be written up as a featured article on some sort of curated unschooling website. Truly, there's so much wisdom to be gleaned from the story... and from how you told it. Brilliant!

Miranda

"Curated"?  That's sounds high falutin'!!  But seriously, I would love to get recommendations for a dedicated unschooling website, not so much for posting as reading.  But, sharing, too.  I found the Radicl Unschoolers Network, which is helpful, but slow and I'm "not really very" radical.

ETA:  I think that's the second time "high falutin'" has been used on this forum (and in a matter of minutes!)  Odd how some things work out.  Like, when I check movies out from the library one and a time, and 3 in a row will have the same actor.  Weird.

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.
#32 of 35 Old 05-17-2013, 07:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Hey I thought maybe you were echoing me when you used the word high-falutin' esp with the same spelling (apostrophe) .... 

these days i am reading homeschoolers.in

not a dedicated unschooler site but pretty interesting things.   It is from India. 

no longer  or  or ... dd is going on 12 (!) how was I to know there was a homeschool going on?
#33 of 35 Old 05-17-2013, 08:39 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We have been at the beach on Corpus Christi since Tuesday.  It has been amazing, with DD finally old enough to really enjoy the ocean and sand.  Last time around was in Sept, when she was still eating sand.  DS and DH took the tour of the USS Lexington today, so they got a big history lesson with lots of extra learning in there.  Lots of physics and architectural learning has taken place on the beach making sand castles and a huge vol-cave-o (it was a mountainous structure with a hollow middle and a tunnel running through one side.  :)  I can't take any credit there, as I still get less beach time since DD nurses to nap and tires quickly of the blustery wind and crashing waves.  Maybe next year I'll endure the sunburn with DS while DH takes a little siesta.  :)

Spring has been pretty much going on for a couple of months now, but April/May are the ideal times for our abundant wild flowers and much-needed rain.  We have visited our local botanical gardens twice, and discovered that a regional metalworkers guild sets up shop in the little old-time blacksmith workshop on the property.  We had no idea this was an actual working forge, so it was great to stand around chatting with a few of the workers during our visit.  We learned a good bit from them, then moved on to the rose garden, which was in full bloom.  Stopped and smelled those wildly fragrant things before heading to the huge koi pond, where we discovered a couple of large diamondback water snakes (non-venomous) lounging in the reeds.  

We've been participating in a local homeschool soccer game that happens twice a week in the large open field at a local park.  It's wonderful for people like us who are active, yet very un-sporty.  DS could really care less about the rules of games at his age, but the group is of diverse ages, and I can set up a little picnic for me and DD to enjoy while he RUNS AND RUNS AND RUNS!  Much needed activity, and I'm sure he's absorbing at least a little of the foundations of soccer.  Most importantly, he's making some new pals to supplement for our huge loss of weekday playmates as his buddies all start kindergarden this year.  

We bought the annual season family pass to all the municipal pools, which include two non-chlorinated spring-fed pools.  We have already enjoyed a few trips, and expect to really use those passes through the better part of October.  DS is already a really capable swimmer at nearly 5 years old, and DD is doing her best to "catch up" in that department.  Boy, do I have some water babies.  Lucky me, since there's no place I'd rather be in our long hot drought season than a cold, chem-free, zero depth pool (the kind that slopes from sidewalk to water without a lip or edge.  PERFECT!!!  Unfortunately, I'll probably be spending a bit more on food, as my kids eat everything I can carry within minutes of our arrival to any outing.  sigh.

Happy SPRING everyone!  Now I'll read up on all of your responses for some inspiration and delight.  :)

#34 of 35 Old 05-22-2013, 01:32 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are riding bikes, all the time.
Ds 2.5 is looking for hills to jump and racing on the dirt track. We are looking for a better BMX bike for him, he needs bigger wheels but a shorter frame (he is short for his age), and hope to find one for his 3rd birthday, late summer. He is so cute in all his gear, but it's still scary to see him flying down big hills. DD1 just hangs out in my bike trailer, her Ergo, or climbs the bleachers at the track.

Other than that, we are meeting other US and HSers in town, there are a huge amount of them. we are fortunate to live where we do.
#35 of 35 Old 06-03-2013, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)

Wow!  Some really gorgeous fabulous weather to slide us through the last weeks of spring.  Nothing better than the PNW in the mid-70's to make life sooooo nice!

Came home from a trip to Seattle for the weekend.  Today we visited the science center.  Always fun, but.... canned and noisy and no time for immersion. Still, it was the first trip for the girls.  The show was a silly demonstration using magic tricks to teach about the scientific process.  Nice to hear they use "prediction" instead of "hypothesis", and hm... something else for "theory... forgot....anyway, those words are so overused and misused in everyday language it's just time to ditch them.  The girls giggled and guessed how everything was done and had a grand time.

If only I could find a pretzel.  Huh?  The Seattle co-op has a really delicious German-style pretzel-- nothing like chewy-gluey ballpark pretzels.  DD2 begged me for a pretzel.  Didn't expect one at 8:30pm Sunday night, but surely in the morning.... right?  Maybe not Monday morning, though!  No pretzels!  Tears.  Well, surely the Seattle Center has pretzels.  Saw a pretzel warmer but wanted to eat in the Center House (now the "Armory"), surely some there.  Nope.  Tears.  Ran back 5 miles to snack shop to get a pretzel from the warmer.  No pretzels.  Gah!  Ran 20 miles back to Armory.  More tears.  Crap.  My kingdom for a pretzel!

Science center, butterflies, cool contraptions, it all wiped the pretzel out of her mind until we started for home.  Our first pretzel-free visit to Seattle since she was 2.  

Back home, back to slower, mellower exploration.  Went in search of roly-polies and learning Science Through Balrog (our cat-- bringer of all things dead and gory).  Today we discover a dismembered baby bunny (yay!! puke.gif) plus a headless vole riddled with maggots.  We practiced our Scientific Method figuring out how it got part way down a whole without it's head.  Hmmmm.... better avoid that hole at night...MWAAHAHAHAHA!!!  Of course we dutifully explained why the maggots were there, etc. etc.  

They've been asking some great questions, I need to write them down just to look back on them and say "Wow!"  I wish they would come at other times besides bedtime-- I am always such a grump and ready for sleep.

Speaking of.... the light in the sky belies how late it is.  Looking forward to approaching this Solstice with clear skies and balmy temperatures for a change!

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.

Tags
Unschooling

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page