Tracking - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 06-11-2013, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I'm sure this has been asked a million times, but what do you guys use for tracking stuff your kid does?  My objective is to satisfy attendance requirements, and also to have some idea of what my kid is doing from year to year.  And if we end up going all through high school, to have a portfolio of sorts or transcript for colleges.  My oldest would be starting K next year, and I'd like to get myself in the habit of keeping a journal  or something like that.  Ideally it would be software that I can download to my laptop or better yet download to a server and maintain myself.  I'd like to be able to add in pictures/videos to journal entries.  But at this point I haven't figured out how much I want to track.  We're mostly going to do unschooling/relaxed schooling (where I may suggest doing a lapbook and print stuff out for ds if he's interested), so I won't be able to rely on having lots of worksheets to show as "proof" of studies.  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 06-11-2013, 07:03 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
You might get a bigger response in the main homeschooling forum... More homeschoolers there do more record keeping.

I do have to turn in attendance to my school district but I literally just give them a page with 180 squares with checks in them.

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01
#3 of 4 Old 06-11-2013, 09:07 PM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 95 Post(s)

We've had to various types of tracking and reporting as unschoolers to maintain the benefits of our publicly-funded homeschool umbrella program. I've used a blog, set to private. I invite our over-seeing teacher to be a subscriber, and also the grandparents. I can include photos, audio file links, videos, organize things by date, subject etc. etc. As time has gone on my kids have been co-authors of their learning blogs. It has worked brilliantly for us. I started out with Blogger and still keep the public, family blog there. For school records I now use a WordPress installation on my own website. Both worked fine. 

For attendance, our umbrella program provided us with an on-line calendar. We just filled that in -- a virtual checkmark for each day we considered to include our "educational program" -- which was, duh, pretty much every day. I would do the same with a bargain-bin wall calendar if I had to keep my own records. Or use iCal or Google Calendar, embedding it as a blog widget.

Miranda

Idan Melamed likes this.

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

#4 of 4 Old 06-12-2013, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Thanks!  WordPress sounds like a good option at this point, especially since I can install it on a server, and I'm going to guess that I can export everything to a PDF at some point, if I need to.  I can see that it would be great for the kids to take over at the right age.  

4evermom, the reason I didn't post in the general hs forum was that I am not interested in setting up lesson plans or giving grades.  I've looked at a few hs trackers online and it seemed they were geared more for the "school at home" type of hs.  What we're doing is just set up "some" opportunities (meaning have lots of supplies/books for the kids and then see what they do ...  I still would like to keep track of what they've done - at least the major things; I don't have time to follow them around and note every little scribble or doodle.  I think it would be nice to note the growth from year to year, but that's a little different from assigning them an "A" in the tracker.  I was thinking to use one tool for attendance requirements & my own tracking, but I think what you're doing for attendance is a good idea...just using something simple for the attendance requirement.  

Tags
Unschooling

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page