sewing resources for a 6 year old - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 06-14-2013, 04:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

My daughter is almost 7- and very interested in her dolls, stuffed animals - dressing them - now trying to make clothes for them.  I'm wondering if there are any good websites or resources to teach her to do VERY simple patterns.  I could do a pillow with her or something like that but it's not really what she's interested in.  I'd also be interested in very simple weaving or anything related to BEGINNER sewing (but not for a 3 y/o).  She can thread the needle and tie a knot - she can sew a simple straight line and cut the fabric (not evenly but good enough).  This was happening yesterday and was a bit frustrating b/c she made her own design and it really did not fit the bear at all - she ended up cutting off the straps and I ended up doing most of the sewing.  But she REALLY loved the final result (which was really quite horrible - but because we made it ourselves -and together- she likes it).

I do not have access to a sewing machine or to stores that sell boxed crafts or patterns (I live on a small Caribbean island with no department stores and very little choice).  I can get yarn and needles and thread and fabric though.  Just looking for resources as I'm sure she'll want to sew more today.

Thanks

#2 of 5 Old 06-14-2013, 05:44 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Two favorite crafty places of mine are the purl bee and the crafty crow. The purl bee has lots of projects, though fewer basic beginner types, but what I do find among it is very good - there's a really nice homemade pincushion for example. The crafty crow features lots of kid-made projects and categorizes them, and I've found some great sewing projects there for my dd too.

As for doll-like clothes, I'd browse Pinterest. There are a lot of folks with boards just for doll clothes or toys, and I think you'd have good luck finding something that will fit what she wants. And usually, if you can get one good simple pattern, you can vary it just a little and make a lot. I'll try to get back with a few links to projects that I've saved that might be ideal later.
#3 of 5 Old 06-14-2013, 08:04 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)

An old book that is occasionally put back into print (and available online) is the Mary Frances sewing book.  It is a story book of sorts which introduces girls to handstitching, and it includes vintage patterns for doll cloths.  You begin by sewing a clothing bag, then a cap, then an apron, etc.  The story is over-the-top Edwardian, very Oz-ish in intent, but possibly very fun for a girl (actually I loved the book and it's on my "must purchase" list.

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.
#4 of 5 Old 06-15-2013, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

OK thank you both!  That should be enough resources for about a lifetime!  Just a few links and a book... leads to the unlimited. 

Funny enough we made a (gorgeous!) little purse and a heart shaped pillow just based on browsing for a minute or two but not even doing anything we found online yet and she keeps saying, "I'm getting the hang of this" - a new phrase for her that I guess I must say a lot (-;  I also just looked at Sweet Silver's message above about the Mary Frances sewing book starting with a clothing bag... and I mentioned it and dd was all over it (the bag not the book as I have no access to a bookstore here either).  We are tearing through this lovely vintage fabric that is (was!) probably worth a small fortune - It must be from the 1950's and came from my grandfather's photography studio.  Wasn't planning on using it for beginner doll clothes - but plans can and do change... just going with it.  

#5 of 5 Old 06-16-2013, 07:26 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)

That book can be purchased through Amazon, and most are around 20.00-36.00.  Some are insanely priced, either thinking because the book was momentarily out of print or because they had a vintage copy.  I couldn't figure out how to tell which ones included the pattern pages intact on the recent printings.  The cloak and other period clothes for the doll are simply gorgeous.  

The best trick in the book was actually a sewing "bird"--a tool, often shaped like a little bird, that fell out of use with the popularization of the sewing machine and was used to make long, straight seams.  It's essentially a clamp, and the ones shaped like a bird held the fabric in the "beak", and attached to a table with its "feet".  You can find these antique tools online as well for not a lot, or modern, boring, clamp-looking ones for even less.

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.

Tags
Unschooling

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page