What websites/resources do your 9/10 ish year olds really like? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 07-18-2013, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

What I'm seeing with my son right now (10 at end of August) is that he is starting to look for a little more focus, starting to want to work on his interests with input and ideas from outside. I'm seeing something similar with several of his friends which makes me think it might possibly be an age thing. He's really starting to be very into stuff he can do alone. I'm comfortable with him spending fairly long periods on the computer (with breaks) because in his life that's well balanced with a lot of activity and social opportunities.

I had some amazing ideas from the electronics resources thread and I'm wondering more generally what sites your kids loved at this age. My son actually is into most things if his interest is there, so although his big interests are anything sciency, anything mathsy, anything computers or electronics, and fantasy / sci fi fiction, he also loves clay and claymation, photography, quite likes knitting, and loves debate.

Oh we have an ipad too so any interesting apps would be appreciated.

I'm a bit clueless about this stuff, so any ideas really welcome. 

My contribution here-though I'm guessing you all know these!- would be http://makezine.com   khan academy (the robotics/electronics stuff is really great) and https://diy.org/  .  

Raising Geek_Generation_2.0 :LET ds= 10 ; LET dd1= ds - 2; LET dd2=dd-2; IF month=0.67 THEN LET ds = ds+1; 
#2 of 13 Old 07-18-2013, 12:21 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ohhh, Good thread! I was swooping in to suggest diy.org but you have that covered smile.gif The Spangler Effect channel on YouTube is pretty good also -- tons of ideas to work with.

I will be taking notes here.
#3 of 13 Old 07-18-2013, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter

:-) thanks Emaye will check it out! 

Raising Geek_Generation_2.0 :LET ds= 10 ; LET dd1= ds - 2; LET dd2=dd-2; IF month=0.67 THEN LET ds = ds+1; 
#4 of 13 Old 07-18-2013, 07:45 PM

Have you seen http://www.codecademy.com/ ? It's got kid-friendly programming lessons. It's not flashy/cartoony kind of thing, it just walks you through how to program.

And, of course, there's minecraft. I think Minecraft is more educational than an awful lot of officially educational software. We just discovered mcreate-- it's a free download that lets you easily design your own minecraft mods.

HTH!
#5 of 13 Old 07-19-2013, 08:51 AM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 78 Post(s)

My 10-year-old is the younger sibling of three teens, and her internet tastes run old as a result, so I don't think I really have any appropriate suggestions. She tends to browse, read blogs, watch vlogs, rifle through reddit, watch TV shows with her siblings, spend time on Facebook and follow little threads of curiosity through wikipedia and other links. Typical is what she's done this morning: watch her brother play a game on-line, read through news sites after googling "zimmerman acquittal," check in on Facebook, and spend some time figuring out how to vectorize a jpeg into an .svg file, and why someone (i.e. her brother and her mom) would need to do that.

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

#6 of 13 Old 07-19-2013, 09:40 PM

Just realized that when I posted this earlier, I posted it in the wrong thread. Oops- I have a cat needing eye drops every two hours and I don't do well with sleep deprivation! Anyway, here are a few computer-based resources and programs that my 9 year old son has played around with: 

If he is interested in computer game design, check out these (all free, though you can buy full version of GameMaker if you like the lite version and want more): Scratch, Kodu, GameMaker 

If he likes Stop Motion animation: SAM animation software (again, basic version free)

If he like digital animation: Mine-i-mator (fairly simple Minecraft character animation) or Blender (complex 3D digital animation- there are good tutorials on YouTube)

Also- there are some very cool fractal generators online, free-- math and art and computer programs all in one, so how can you go wrong?

Writing, reading, unschooling. 

#7 of 13 Old 07-26-2013, 07:24 AM

Another one: www.alice.org
#8 of 13 Old 07-27-2013, 02:40 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys for all the suggestions, some great ideas! Have looked at Alice and it looks pretty good actually. Will go through the other websites when I have some decent bandwidth (we are spending most of the summer away from home and I'm mainly using the computer in cafes, which means any site with fancy graphics or plugins or whatever just won't load).  :-) 

#9 of 13 Old 07-27-2013, 08:26 AM

I would add:

Gamestar Mechanic - https://gamestarmechanic.com/ Animated story that steps you through designing a game.  You can pay to get more, but the free version is enough to get him started and see if he's interested enough to do more.

Youngzine - http://www.youngzine.org/  A great online magazine for kids.  Has articles on current events, science, earth, arts, etc.

TedEd - http://ed.ted.com/ Has animations explaining all kinds of things.  And, of course, TED talks are all fascinating.

Wonderopolis - http://wonderopolis.org/  A great site for learning random, fascinating things.  They have a new question every day, with a video and information.

Those are just off the top of my head.  I have more listed on my blog, http://www.plethorahomeschool.com/.

Lori the Unflappable
Big Guy (14), history, Dr. Who and gaming
Little Buddy (10), science, Minecraft and Heeleys 

Plethorahomeschool.com, my attempt to organize the web's resources for homeschooling.

#10 of 13 Old 07-27-2013, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

lurk.gif

thanks! More stuff to check out, I need to get me to a place with bandwidth!

#11 of 13 Old 07-28-2013, 05:56 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)

subbing- this is great!

#12 of 13 Old 07-31-2013, 03:45 PM

Here are a BUNCH of iPad apps we have, or have tried, that are not pre-schooly.
Many of them my 9.5 year old loves. Some are educational, some are not.

3D Brain
WordsPyramid
Wipeout Wall
Wheel of Fortune
Voicy +
uTeachMe
Virtuoso Piano
Tiny Countries
TinkerBox HD
Theoreme de Pythagore
Tesla Game
Tayasui Sketches
StorySmith: Medieval Kingdom
Steam Gears
Stack the States
Stack the Countries
Shuttle Mission Math
Scribblenauts
Run Kitty Run
Roots to Words
Presidents vs Aliens
Powers of Minus ten - Bone
PHLIP
The Opposites
Nano Maze
Musical Squares
Molecule Rush
Mitosis
Monster Physics
Minecraft - Pocket Edition
Little Alchemy
Lobster Diver
LEGO Super Heroes Movie Maker
KidScience
Jr High Algebra
iWitness Biblical Archaeology
Introduction to Plant Biology
iHatch - Chickens
Human-Bio
HudsenAlpha iCell
History: Maps of the World
HarmonoArt
Gravity Byte Pro
Get the Germs: Addictive Physics Puzzle Game
Geoboard, by The Math Learning Center
Galaxy Creator
Feed That Dragon
Falling Notes
Expedition Mars: Space Adventure
Exoplanet
Essential Skeleton
eReading: The Time Machine
Emotinary by Me.Mu
Dumb Ways to Die
Doodle Bowling
Color Uncovered
Chromovores
Chicken Coop Fractions
Chemistry Memory
Chekked
Cato's Hike: A Programming & Logic Odyssey
Cartwheel
BuzzMath Middle School
Buy Train for iPad
Beam
Bad Piggies
Astronomy A-Z HD
ASL Dictionary for iPad
Anodia
Animal Origami
Angry Birds (so many options, all show physics)
Alaska Native Heritage Center

#13 of 13 Old 08-03-2013, 09:18 AM

Just adding one more:

http://moneyville.ie

Thanks for sharing everyone!

Tags
Unschooling

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page