Do I "count" extracurricular activities for school? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-09-2013, 03:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We are unschooling and my daughter just started her kindergarten year. We are registered at the local school and I'm required to turn in a report at the end of the year showing what she has done daily. I think they expect me to just send them an actual curriculum, but I'm doing it more journal-style at the end of each day since we don't use a curriculum.

So I was wondering if they usually accept extracurricular activities as part of our lesson plan. Anyone know? Have you done that? For example, my daughter is really bugging me to let her take ballet classes. Do I put the classes down as part of her schooling? I'm guessing they would consider that PE.

Mama to a bright 5 y/o girl dust.gif and a beautiful boy born 03/10/12 fly-by-nursing1.gif Loving unschooling, 2xuc.jpgfamilybed2.gif ecbaby2.gifand natural living in Hawaii.rainbow1284.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2013, 09:41 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)

As far as I have ever heard, ballet and other extracurricular activities do count in states that keep track of that stuff, but each state is different.  There is usually someone on this board that comes up with all the links for different states.

But first, I would find out what subjects are required, and record activities based on that.  PE might not be required.  Things like penmanship, that kind of stuff.  I know your question was a general one, though.

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
Old 08-24-2013, 06:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Yes, in my state (Pennsylvania) we'd consider ballet or karate to be PE (which is required in my state.) Music lessons are music, etc. Homeschooling doesn't mean that you, personally, have to teach everything to your child. Signing her up for fun stuff that falls into various subject categories is the same as hiring a tutor for a certain class. It's part of your child's curriculum:-)

Mom to unschooling 4everboy since 8/01

Tags
Unschooling
User Tag List