science .... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 09-29-2013, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

dd, now 10, has read the Magic School bus series and then the Horrible Science series. 

Now she watches various science videos but I would also like more books.  We haven't found a good text-book so far, but I would like to find out what some of you are using. 

no longer  or  or ... dd is going on 12 (!) how was I to know there was a homeschool going on?
#2 of 9 Old 09-29-2013, 12:16 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Do I remember you saying she's up to reading quite adult stuff?

What interests her? 

My ten year old has liked two books recently that I can think of. One was Stephen Hawkings book, George and the Universe (or something). The other-which I think he might have listened to, actually, to be fair, can't remember-was Bill Bryson's A Short History of Nearly Everything (or whatever its called).

rumi likes this.

Raising Geek_Generation_2.0 :LET ds= 10 ; LET dd1= ds - 2; LET dd2=dd-2; IF month=0.67 THEN LET ds = ds+1; 
#3 of 9 Old 09-29-2013, 03:19 PM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 64 Post(s)

Hmmm, I know I'm getting a bit repetitive here, but here are some my 10yo has enjoyed:

Bill Bryson "A Short History...." Overview of science.

Jay Hosler. Graphic novels biology/evolution.

Joy Hakim "The Story of Science." History of science.

Stephen Jay Gould. Natural history / evolution. This one is a good introduction.

Oliver Sacks. Neurology, psychology.

Theodore Grey's "The Elements."

"The Mystery of the Periodic Table" by Benjamin Wiker.

"Napoleon's Buttons" by LeCouteur and Burreson

Wiker, Hakim and Hosler are writing for middle-schoolers, the rest are writing for anyone, probably thinking more of adults.

Miranda

rumi likes this.

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

#4 of 9 Old 09-29-2013, 08:58 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

If she liked George and the Universe, she would probably also like The Number Devil by Hans Magnus Enzensberger. Sorry, it's math, not science, but it's a great book!

Is she interested in conducting experiments too? That could be another way to go with her interest in science. 

rumi and Fillyjonk like this.
#5 of 9 Old 09-29-2013, 09:21 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Uncle Albert series by Russell Stannard

Horten's series by Lissa Evans

Stephen and Lucy Hawkins have 3 kids books

The Genuis Files by Dan Gutman (not really science but DS loved the series)

rumi likes this.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#6 of 9 Old 09-30-2013, 05:26 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the suggestions.  

We do like doing experiments but I am feeling like we also need to get better grounding in  the theory.   Also I am kind of running out of experiments to do.  We've tried some of the online sites for ideas but somehow she feels that they tell you too much and there is not enough sense of discovery or inquiry in setting up and carrying out the experiment. 

no longer  or  or ... dd is going on 12 (!) how was I to know there was a homeschool going on?
#7 of 9 Old 09-30-2013, 05:30 AM - Thread Starter

After writing the above, I decided to search for the old toothpick bridge which I remember making in school.  I came across this site:  http://www.mrg-online.com/projects.htm

I think some of these might work for us. 

Still, I would like better grounding in the theory, so I would love to hear more titles of things you and your kids use, even if they are textbooks.  I am in an exploring mode. 

#8 of 9 Old 09-30-2013, 06:30 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My kids love the eyewitness series on the science topics that appeal to them. Any non-fiction, really, that they find in the library is usually a hit. 

Twin boys (2/05) and little sister (10/07)
#9 of 9 Old 10-01-2013, 10:18 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)

What a 10yo might be interested in in science is beyond my experience, but personally (as an adult) I have always loved Star Trek and talking about what is possible.  The Physics of Star Trek was a fun book that complemented these kinds of mental explorations.  (One memorable comment--once a chapter heading, I believe-- was something like "Hands and Butts are more solid", referring to those episodes where a character suddenly had no.... whatever it took to make them solid..... and they could walk through walls, but somehow didn't fall through floors or chairs).

I do have one recommendation with my girls, now I think about it..  We recently started watching entire seasons of Mythbusters, and the whole family watches and talks about what we thought they missed.  I like that they follow the scientific method fairly well (at least they are predicting, setting up controls, etc.) and we have fun with the fact that before a myth is busted, they attempt to find out what it takes to do X.  A recent example, catching a bullet in the teeth.  Not content just to bust the myth, they tried to build a mouth-like contraption to catch a bullet (they did, and the bullet exploded into pieces.)  I like that Mythbusters, excepting the "don't try this at home" parts, still gives kids a sense of what experiments look like, in a nutshell.  And a whole lot of motivation, too.

I think I like the fun conversations that get going from all this better than reading straight theory however cleverly arranged.  Those books do offer a bit of that "aha!" of connection after a lot of wondering about something.

rumi likes this.

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.

Tags
Unschooling

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page