New to unschooling - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 11-14-2013, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Well, I'm kind of new to it. I have been homeschooling for 18 years and one of the first books I read was John Holt's Teach You Own and I've applied many of the things I learned in that book and other unschooling books. But I always went back to my schoolish ways of teaching my kids-and I felt pressured from others. This year has been different though. Durring the summer I planned my curriculum, but when it was time to start I decided to let my younger 2 kids learn what they wanted to instead-except for math and some spelling with my daughter. I've been reading a lot about radical unschooling and I'm not sure that I want to go that far (not sure). I have seen many changes in me during this time, but I'm still having a hard time with letting my 13 play video games all day if he wants to. Anyway, I'm going to be meeting with a potential new evaluator soon, and she has lots of questions so I want to be ready. Nice to "meet" you all!

#2 of 4 Old 11-14-2013, 03:58 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)

I find that I kind of started somewhere, and then found as time went on that I was actually far more radical than I ever expected, though I don't adhere to it as a philosophy.  Once you get some positive results from unschooling here and over there, it seems natural to extend it just a bit over there and some more over there.  Often you don't even realize you are doing it!   That's been my experience somewhat.  I think I started in a place of more confidence than others to extend unschooling across academic subjects and well into family life.  But as my confidence increased further, I have found myself trusting my kids even more, saying "yes" even more, just letting my days roll along as they will.  I still don't quite fit neatly into a straightforward philosophy, and I've also become comfortable with that, as well.  

Anyway, welcome!  

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.
#3 of 4 Old 11-14-2013, 07:43 PM

Welcome! It's definitely a journey and like all things you pick what you like and what works and forget about the rest! I know when I first started researching unschooling it seemed sort of like a group of things you had to do to "qualify" but now more and more I just feel like... why the labels and the qualifications? Just do what works for your family! How old are your younger kids you are going to be trying this with- is the 13 year old one of those? Be sure and look into what "Deschooling" is too on that transition from homeschooling to a schedule. He will definitely be at the video games for awhile but it should fall into more of a balance as he gets comfortable with his time management skills. 

DS: Logan 6/14/10 nocirc.gif

#4 of 4 Old 11-17-2013, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

I had posted a long reply, but I guess I accidentally erased it. Thank you both for your replies. That's good advice to do what works for our family. My children that I am unschooling are ages 13 and 8.

Tags
Unschooling

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page