Preaching to the choir: sometimes I need it--Peter Gray article about play - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 01-27-2014, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/give-childhood-back-to-children-if-we-want-our-offspring-to-have-happy-productive-and-moral-lives-we-must-allow-more-time-for-play-not-less-are-you-listening-gove-9054433.html

(Ooh, that's a doozy.)

I know this isn't about unschooling, but I like when articles like this pop up.

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.
#2 of 3 Old 01-31-2014, 06:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Thanks for posting this.  I liked his book too.  For one thing it reassured me that it was OK that dd was not in a sports team, and that the 1-2 hours she spent playing random made up games, including 15-30  minutes involved in deciding various things including what game to play, how to do it etc were all OK as well - maybe even better than being on a sports team.  So even if it is not unschooling, maybe it is unsporting.  

I liked his description of school in the 50s. Even in the late 70s I remember having 3 recesses, (including the 1 hour lunch).  I almost started to doubt my own memory because it seems like such a lot of recess but I see he had the same experience. 

It's nice to hear about the Chinese government report on reducing school hours - I hope India picks up something from this as India is constantly "competing with China" - of course what you hear in India is how hardworking the Chinese are. 

no longer momsling.GIF or ecbaby2.gif orfly-by-nursing1.gif ... dd is going on 10 (!) how was I to know there was a homeschool going on?

#3 of 3 Old 01-31-2014, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)

I'm going to have to read that one, but I'm finally getting a stream of reserved books from the library--Game of Thrones, House of Hades, Hild-- and I barely have time for those.  I like reading short articles that are inspiring but essentially what I already am on board with, but books?  I read Radical Homemaker, 1.5 chapters worth, and thought "Yay.  This is what I've been wanting to do for decades."  Skimmed through the remaining gazillion chapters in a blizzard of pages and finished the rest in 5 minutes.  Sometimes the choir gets bored.  :p

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.

Tags
Unschooling

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page