An important video: "This Mother Tore Off Labels And Nurtured Her Son’s Hidden Genius" - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-23-2014, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

A lot of you may be familiar with her book, but I wasn't - I just saw this, and it's one of the most amazing things I've ever seen. It's not that it's all new - many of us toss around these ideas, but here's someone who got an idea and ran with it, carrying her son through what could have been a catastrophic time. I think it's important information for any parent or person relating with children:

"A breakthrough of monumental proportions" the interviewer said. Well said. She was told her autistic son would never talk again, but Instead of focusing on Jacob’s limitations, Kristine nurtured his interests, but now at that age of 15, he's on track to win a Nobel Prize for his work in theoretical physics. 

She had been told to just give up and look into who might take care of him as an adult - but she wasn't buying it. She saw that encouraging and supporting what interested him instead of bombarding him with things was what lit him up and brought him back into communication.  She's done the same with her other children. He's exceptionally articulate for anyone his age, and seems like a delightful person to spend time with. Please pass this around if it moves you the way it did me - this is important stuff to get out there.  :)  Lillian

http://themotherlist.com/mother-tore-label-nurtured-sons-hidden-genius/

#2 of 6 Old 03-23-2014, 12:13 PM

Thank you so much for sharing that! I was completely unaware of it, and I'm just in awe! Amazing!!!

This mother is my hero! This story brought tears to my eyes.

Lillian J likes this.
#3 of 6 Old 03-23-2014, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewink View Post

Thank you so much for sharing that! I was completely unaware of it, and I'm just in awe! Amazing!!!

This mother is my hero! This story brought tears to my eyes.

Yes! Awe is the word for it. I sure hope this goes viral - this could mean so much to so many people's lives. What a lucky child he was to have a mother who could think beyond the box and open the door to the kind of life he's living now. And to realize what a difference it could also make in just an ordinary child's life is so inspiring. Even schools have a lot to learn here about the possibilities!

- Lillian

#4 of 6 Old 03-23-2014, 01:03 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)

Thank you for sharing.  It was nice to hear from the boy as well as the mom.

ETA: a timely post.

Lillian J likes this.

Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.
#5 of 6 Old 04-13-2014, 10:34 AM

Thanks for sharing!

#6 of 6 Old 04-13-2014, 03:51 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

So great to see that video!! I just finished reading the book a couple days ago, and absolutely loved it!  I think every parent/teacher/caregiver should read it. So so inspirational. Thanks for posting!

Former Nanny Extraordinaire, looking forward to being a Mama! treehugger.gif I love Organizing & being a Health & Wellness Coach eat.gif & I'm crunchy granola as long as it's organic and certified gluten free. GF since March '08 yummy.gif. Willoughby Nov '11  cat.gif TTC #1-still, again, some more, & seriously pondering adoption. 

Tags
Unschooling

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page