April Unschooling Thread - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-14-2014, 04:13 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)

Ah, trial and error.  Pouring Cheerios from a wide container to a narrow yogurt container involves caution, not dumping.  Shaking it without secure the lid makes a mess.  Closing the door across the pile redistributes the pile.  Mommy won't help unless it involves a broom and dustpan.  

Sigh.

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2014, 05:59 PM

Enjoying the motivation my girls are showing.  We are still trying recipes from her book, today peanut butter bears, last week tamari glazed drumsticks.  I can roll up my sleeves and really use my experience to help out and guide where necessary, but mostly I'm just asking them questions: do we have what we need?  What can help with?

But the other interest is not so easy.  I took the girls to a fish-in sponsored by Fish and Wildlife, the parks department and Cabella's.  We got fishing rods and a sack of information to get us started.  (All for $5 each--awesome deal!)  It was windy and pouring rain, so we didn't stick it out, but the girls are already planning their next trip.  DD9 is making notes of all the fish species in the youth fishing handbook.  I'm looking at the knots for tying hooks etc. and the instructions on cleaning fish and what basic supplies we need for a fishing.  I have very, very little experience fishing and mentors are busy with their own lives so far.  (DD9 just exclaimed that rainbow trout love marshmallows.)  This is a totally different experience from the cooking or hiking and wild plants where I can actually offer some experience.  Onward!

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
Old 04-19-2014, 10:08 PM - Thread Starter

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)

I loved fishing as a child and young adult. On the water at dawn and dusk, quietly casting or trolling with a parent and a sibling or two nearby. It was meditative, relationship-building, granting us time to notice things about the natural world and experience the passage of time. Catching fish was beside the point, but always plenty of fun.

Sadly three of my kids have an intense dislike for the taste of freshwater fish, so we don't fish. I'm planning a summer that involves more time on and in the lake. Perhaps I'll get my fishing license this year and dh and I can eat anything I catch. The kids can cook their own food now. Thanks for making me ponder this!

Fiona is doing really well on her violin. She's had two lessons since finishing her several-month-long hiatus and is super motivated. She's playing well, and is practicing over an hour a day Amazing!

She's started the next math course. She got so excited by math in the process of reviewing for the final exam for the previous course  that she wanted to dive into something new. She tried out the on-line version of the course curriculum, but it was deadly ... slow-paced, tedious and with "lectures" that were so horrid they sounded like parodies of lectures. So she and I are working together on a couple of things, and she's going to get a "worktext" from the school next week and use that instead.

She's been babysitting a 4-year-old a half day once or twice a week. She got her babysitter certificate via a 3-day course back in February. There's no legal age for babysitting here, though the recommended age is 12 and they don't let kids take the course until 11. But this mom has been hiring her occasionally as a "mother's helper" (to play with her daughter while she works as home) for the better part of a year already, and now she's beginning to hire her as a proper babysitter. She's making $25-40 a week, which is just a bonus because she loves the work and the sense of responsibility. 

Sadly after a great start I don't think she's getting the kind of dance experience she needs and wants anymore. She's outgrown her current class, but there's only a month to go until the end-of-year performances, and then that's it until the fall. The woman who lives in our little village who used to be a professional ballet teacher is having to cancel her classes and summer intensive program for health and family reasons. So that's likely it ... there will be nothing for 4 months. She was just getting started! Ah well, we'll keep asking around. She loves it soooo much, even though she's frustrated by the behaviour and lack of challenge in her current class. Her teacher has suggested we move her up two levels in the fall, but Fiona is still disappointed by how far away that is ... more than twice as long as she's been doing ballet! So she keeps up her stretching and conditioning and practicing her form and positions.

But ... even though it's considerably cooler than average, the weather is getting more spring-like up the mountain a bit at our place. The snow is all gone from the lawn. I planted a tree today, and the trampoline saw some use. 

Miranda

Mountain mama to two great kids and two great grown-ups
Old 04-20-2014, 09:14 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I've just finished reading through this thread so far and thought I would say hello, rather than just lurking.

I've got two boys who are not yet "school-aged" (2.5 and 6 months). I've been reading John Holt and various blogs and MDC threads about unschooling, and it gets me so excited, for myself and for my boys.

In my readings I've realized that while I was always "good" at school, I wasn't necessarily learning much. What I was always "good" at was figuring out what teachers wanted to see and hear. I was "good" at picking up on cues that something would be important come test time, I was "good" at highlighting relevant passages in texts and I was "good" at taking tests. I think I started to realize all of this once I got to university. I'm a university drop-out. Since my schooling ended, though, I've learned to identify wild plants where I now live (northern Yukon), and I'm learning about using them as medicine. I'm learning about aromatherapy. I've taught myself to use my DSLR in manual mode and continue to learn about photography. I'm about to begin a self-study course to become a breastfeeding counsellor. I've learned to drive standard, to cook from scratch, to grow food (still learning that one!). I'm learning about parenting and child development, too!

This thread is thought-provoking and inspiring. Thank you all for sharing your unschooling journey here!

Tara
Old 04-20-2014, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BushMama83 View Post

where I now live (northern Yukon)..... 

[learning] to grow food (still learning that one!).

Welcome to the unschooling forum, Tara! Great to have you here. I have to laugh about learning to grow food in the Yukon: now that's got to be a big challenge! To think that I bemoan the short length of our growing season, where the last frost date is usually towards the end of May. I'm guessing for you ... mid-June? 

Miranda

Mountain mama to two great kids and two great grown-ups
Old 04-20-2014, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BushMama83 View Post

I've just finished reading through this thread so far and thought I would say hello, rather than just lurking.

In my readings I've realized that while I was always "good" at school, I wasn't necessarily learning much. What I was always "good" at was figuring out what teachers wanted to see and hear. I was "good" at picking up on cues that something would be important come test time, I was "good" at highlighting relevant passages in texts and I was "good" at taking tests. I think I started to realize all of this once I got to university. 

Those are all good skills to learn, but not what we believe is the most important, isn't it?  I'm glad to "meet" you and look forward to hearing not just about your boys but your continuing efforts to unschool yourself.  The Yukon-- WOW!  That seems so exotic to this "southerner"!  There was a time mid-20's that I would have liked nothing more than to move myself up there.  But I like my gentle seasons and I have developed a comfortable layer of moss under my arms and chin, and the length of our 47th parallel solstice-time days already leaves me exhausted and looking forward to the sultry darkness of August.

Old 04-20-2014, 01:26 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Miranda, I think our last frost is sometime in the first week of June! It is a short and intense growing season for sure.

SweetSilver, I can see the deschooling process being ongoing for sure! So much to learn, and to unlearn.

The extremes of our seasons are definitely exhausting. I've been here 9 years now, and I do miss warm, dark nights! The opposite end of the year, arouond the winter solstice, is gruelling in its own way...sunrise at 10 am, and sun set around 3:30-4 pm! I'm not sure for how much longer I want to endure those extremes....but that's another thread entirely!

Tags
Unschooling
User Tag List