What are your plans for this coming school year? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

#1 of 23 Old 06-09-2014, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
What are your plans for this coming school year?

We will begin our new school year on June 30th. I will have 8th and 10th graders.

This is our curriculum for this coming year:

Language arts/spelling/grammar: Total Language Plus

Daily Silent Reading: Age appropriate books of their choice

Math: Teaching textbooks Algebra for both kids. The oldest will move to Geometry after Xmas.

Science: Apologia Physical Science

Typing: Free on line program

ASL for 8th grader: Free on line program

German for 10th grader: Rosetta Stone

American History (our own curriculum): We will be reading the following books this year, and doing assignments/projects based on these books.......
•George Washington: True Patriot
•Thomas Jefferson for Kids
•Thomas Jefferson Biography
•The Journals of Lewis and Clark
•Women’s Diaries of Westward Expansion
•Haunted Virginia: Legends, Myths, & True Tales
•A Kid’s Guide to Washington D.C.
•Uncle Tom’s Cabin
•Stonewall Jackson’s Battle of Harpers Ferry
•Abraham Lincoln Biography
•The Red Badge of Courage
•Harriet Tubman
•Stories in Uniform

Have any of you read any of these books?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 23 Old 06-09-2014, 04:35 PM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Plans for my soon-to-be-8th-grader:

Gymnastics class
Dance class
Youth choir
Violin lessons

She has already been working on the next level in a math curriculum she enjoys and would like to continue with that. It's called Foundations and PreCalculus 10, by Pearson, for what that's worth -- a decent Canadian school curriculum.

Her summer will be filled with outdoor summer fun (swimming, hiking, camping, mountain biking, trail-running, kayaking) and two week-long camps, one in dance and one in violin. She's always reading and asking questions and absorbing information and learning from experiences. We don't feel a need to plan that out.

In August we'll sit down and write a Learning Plan for the umbrella program we're part of, but as usual it will be vague, open-ended and editable.

I've read a couple of the books on your list, but I don't think my dd has read any. We're in Canada, though, so American history isn't really high on our radar.

ETA: what on-line program are you using for ASL?

Miranda

Mountain mama to two great kids and two great grown-ups

Last edited by moominmamma; 06-09-2014 at 04:37 PM. Reason: Adding a ?
#3 of 23 Old 06-09-2014, 08:42 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Ummmm.....

Hm...

No idea.

Get through Wednesday. Alive and breathing. That's where I'm at with plans for now.

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
#4 of 23 Old 06-10-2014, 11:45 AM

We've had a good time recently using Mythbusters, chickens, cooking, board games and origami to cover just about everything we need. Library videos and nature/science books. Some mysteries.

ETA: Planning more camping this summer. Next fall continue with Girl Scouts, gymnastics, riding and 4-H.

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."

Last edited by SweetSilver; 06-10-2014 at 12:51 PM.
#5 of 23 Old 06-10-2014, 02:41 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Our plan is to register DS(6) as a non-curriculum following home schooler because we are required to do so by law (as far as I know). Other than that, we take it day by day.
#6 of 23 Old 06-10-2014, 05:09 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
KIDS-

summer reading club @ Library.
looking into a Lego club?
cooking
playing outside
Sesame Place- Sesame St theme park
Swimming
NJ Shore

Going to a few concerts - Soundgarden
#7 of 23 Old 06-12-2014, 08:20 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
We're doing Rosetta Stone German, too, though so far only dd12 has actually started. She loves it so far, has been working on it during most of her downtime. I still need to figure out the voice only settings for dd6, my nonreader. I'm still having a hard time getting dd12 into math without drudgery; we'll be starting Math and the Cosmos to see if that will spark anything. High hopes, she's been into astronomy lately.

I need to order our state required "year end testing", bleck! Dd got a kick out of it at first but now it's just a chore, so it'll probably take all summer to actually get them done.

Dd12 has been involved with Belegarth-style medieval combat for awhile and is thrilled that there will be battles and social stuff five days a week now, so that will take up some time. Great for me- it's only a few blocks away, fun crowd with all ages engaged together, dd6 can bop in and out of the action or climb trees with the other littles while I dig into my birthday books. Dd12 is taking a break from music lessons in favor of a music theory workshop series.

Dd6 will start martial arts this month; she's been waiting a long time and is really excited about that.

Last edited by stormborn; 06-12-2014 at 09:00 PM.
#8 of 23 Old 06-13-2014, 06:15 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazamet View Post
Our plan is to register DS(6) as a non-curriculum following home schooler because we are required to do so by law (as far as I know). Other than that, we take it day by day.
reply to Mazamet

Sure wish we could register as non-curriculum following! Would relieve me of all the effort that goes into translating what dd does into language our county reviewer can understand WHILE at the same time not interfering with dd's flow and freedom. Though I must say I have become quite good at it!

no longer  or  or ... dd is going on 12 (!) how was I to know there was a homeschool going on?
#9 of 23 Old 06-13-2014, 08:51 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I believe that we would receive more funds from the government if we would register as distance learners. So, I did a test run for about a month trying to translate DS's activities into ministry speak. I found it difficult and certainly a bit strange to compartmentalize his activities/knowledge. So, given that we can choose to opt out of curriculum, we have chosen to go this route for now.
#10 of 23 Old 06-13-2014, 09:29 AM

Mazamet are you in BC? It is possible to use no curriculum and enrol with a DL school for the funding. As I wrote above, even at the Grade 7 level we use only a math curriculum, and with the right program and the right teacher it's fine. Yesterday we spent 20 minutes in our year end review meeting. It was nice and low-key, mostly chatting about gymnastics and staffing changes. I had written a two-page overview, subject by subject, and sent him that last week. It took me about an hour and was more than sufficient. I agree that it is more difficult and awkward to go through that process in the KG and Grade 1 years. By the time we got to Grade 2 or 3, though, the stuff my kids were naturally doing was much easier to slot into those subject areas. It didn't always fit perfectly, but there was enough stuff that did that reporting got much easier. So I wouldn't necessarily discount that option for the future. The funding and other perks can be nice.

Miranda

#11 of 23 Old 06-13-2014, 05:13 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Oh wow, you get funding to homeschool! Never dared ask for that. I am sure there is none; even the schools barely scrape by - the teachers here haven't gotten a raise in 5 years.

no longer  or  or ... dd is going on 12 (!) how was I to know there was a homeschool going on?
#12 of 23 Old 06-17-2014, 10:15 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We plan to continue to do what we are doing currently:

- Art and taekowndo classes at the community center.
- Singapore maths for the 8 year old.
- Reading alone, reading out loud, listening to audio books (maybe even same ones over and over as it has been here since December lol)
- They have recently gotten into board games so I expect more of that next year.
- I think my Dd who is 6 will probably learn to read. I have seen a marked increase in interest and we have been putting some light effort towards that.
- More cooking. I really want to increase their role in the kitchen and stop being to possessive about the space!
- Some piano fun.

This summer, for the first time in years, we are not traveling. It should be interesting to see how that pans out! With kids out of school, there should be plenty of playmates but not sure if other parents are up to it.
#13 of 23 Old 06-18-2014, 07:42 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I am finding as I travel further along our homeschooling journey that we veer more towards the unschooling end of the spectrum. By the spring we had ditched most curriculum except math and some grammar and now that has been put aside as well. For our upcoming year I think our learning may revolve around a new homeschool coop some friends and I are starting. We are going to get together once a week and do a subject together, probably rotating science, history, art and field trips. We will spend some time preparing for the coop each week and I have some math stuff we can peruse at our leisure. We will also have some dance classes, gymnastics and soccer. We camp a lot and garden. DD3 will be starting to walk soon so that alone will keep us busy! Both DD1 and DD2 surprise me all the time with things they have taught themselves without any help from me so I am excited to see what happens as I allow them to take charge of their learning more and more.
#14 of 23 Old 06-19-2014, 02:06 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
We're doing a little Charlotte Mason style this year. The kids helped pick out some of the curriculum and are really excited about all the new types of things they'll be studying. We're using Math U See for math still since it's working so well and they love it. We will also start learning a little Spanish this year. Still working out all the details and we're officially starting in a few weeks. DD will still be doing soccer and will likely start tennis this year. DS I believe is changing to football. I want to sign them up for Spiral Scouts this year as well. Little dd is not going to technically be doing homeschool yet since she's still pretty toddler stage but she'll be doing some very loose preschool learning activities for play while we work and she's uber into being read to right now so I think she's going to enjoy listening along to all the literature based stuff this year.
#15 of 23 Old 06-20-2014, 01:56 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, I give up. Why is this thread in the unschooling subforum?

Unschooling mama to DD1, 11/2001
and DD2, 11/2004
#16 of 23 Old 06-20-2014, 08:33 AM

The elephant in the room!

When I read the first post I had the same reaction, but since we do have plans I chose to share them instead of calling it out.

I didn't think that maybe the OP wanted more than the generally unschooly responses she got, and she might repost in the Learning at Home forum.

#17 of 23 Old 06-20-2014, 08:50 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
On the new mobile version it's hard to figure out what forum you're in, probably meant to go in the general Learning at Home.
#18 of 23 Old 06-20-2014, 10:52 AM

For what it's worth, I think it's a legitimate unschooling question. It's just that a few of the answers, including the original one, seem pretty school-at-home-ish. So yes, I expect it's a thread that was intended to be posted in LAHB.

To put more of an unschooling spin on it, though ... to what extent do you plan what you're doing ahead of time? To a greater or a lesser degree I think most of us probably need to plan out-of-home activities and classes, but I'm wondering about the rest. Do you ever set learning-related goals? Think ahead of time about how you want to allocate resources, energy and time?

I never did any of that until my eldest was 8 or 9, when I was introduced to the Self-Design Learning Plan through the unschooling-oriented umbrella school we then joined for a few years. The first year I bristled against the Learning Plan requirement, but by the second year I was sold. What it did was open up discussion about my kids' dreams, ambitions and goals, their latent areas of curiosity, their perceptions of their own evolving learning styles, their desire for structure or to avoid structure, and so on. It was particularly valuable for us since we're a family that tends to get busy with something or other and not notice that days or weeks or months have passed without us doing something else that we had really wanted to spend some of our time at.

So we do actually plan ahead. Not in the sense of "The following things must be done," but in the sense of saying "These are the things I would like to do in the upcoming few months, and I'm writing them down so that I can remind myself of them from time to time." I think of our learning plan as a light-house, something that will illuminate some specific terrain, but which we are free to wander away from, knowing it will still be in view if we want to find our way back to it. Also, we tend to move the lighthouse around a bit as the year progresses, adding and deleting things from the learning plan as interests change. Which begs the question "why have it in the first place if you just change it all the time?" but the thing is that I'm continually surprised by how often the kids say "Oh, I forgot I wanted to keep doing that. I didn't feel like it in the fall, but I am interested. Yes, let's get back to it!" Often it's not that they've lost interest, but that the idea has just fallen off their radar for a while. Having the learning plan brings them back to the things they want to do.

The Learning Plan has become a part of how we live and learn. We no longer enrol with the umbrella program that demanded it in the first place, but we've kept the practice because it was so helpful to us. We usually do it in late August, as we're gearing up for fall activities, and revisit it about every 3 months, more often as needed.

Miranda

#19 of 23 Old 06-21-2014, 05:01 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Miranda, As always I learn so much from your experiences and willingness to share them so thoughtfully. I too was finding this whole thread a bit amusing given the forum it was in. My initial thought was a bit like mazamet's - we "take it day by day." However, we have a lot of changes happening in our family life right now and it might be a very good idea for all of us to "Think ahead of time about how we want to allocate resources, energy and time." I just did a quick search for Self Design Learning Plan and my interest is piqued. I doubt I would actually do the full program and get a learning consultant but could see myself using it as a base from which to work. Are there any questions/ideas you have learned from your time doing it that you feel are the most important to address. If you have a few minutes to share in a bit more detail what you do I would love to learn a bit more.

My answer currently would be that we plan to:

get the toddler to stop pulling the 6 year old's hair
spend lots of time outdoors, at the beach, and kayaking
grow, harvest, and store as much food as we can
get way more creative as our budget shrinks due to a change to self employment
spend lots of time as a family getting our business off the ground
hanging out in the woods with grandma and grandpa
spending time playing with our friends from our Learning Without Boundaries unschooling/homeschooling group
maybe 6 year old learning to ski this coming winter??
utilizing the microscope, metal detector, and action camera we bought before our budget shrunk!
listening to and reading lots of stories
#20 of 23 Old 06-21-2014, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthy momma View Post
If you have a few minutes to share in a bit more detail what you do I would love to learn a bit more.
Thinking back to when my kids were younger and their interests were less specific and defined, what I did was for a month or two I would add things to a list. I did lists on the fridge door; nowadays I would use an app I considered this to be an informal Inventory of Interests; at SelfDesign they call it a MindMap and draw it out graphically. I've seen some pretty effective MindMaps, but that format never really appealed to my kids so we stuck with a list. Anything that came up in the course of life that my child either expressed an overt desire to explore, or showed with his behaviour and curiosity that he had a strong affinity for, I would jot that down. The list would be full of wide-ranging things like paragliding, multiplication, baby farm animals, pencil crayons, clay, hiking, parties, motorcycles, Ancient Greece, food preparation, rock climbing ... all sorts of things. I made no effort to sort or prune the list down. It all went there.

Then, after I had amassed a pretty big collection of possible interests, we'd go out for a one-on-one café date to talk about what and how my child wanted to learn, how we might go about investigating possibilities and how it would make sense to allocate our time and money in support of those interests and goals. Some of the interests on my list would get discarded immediately, for instance if my kid said "Huh? No, I'm not interested in that, how did you get that idea?" or if we both agreed that, say, motorcycle racing would be best pursued when the child was older. Some new ideas might be added that I wasn't aware of. But having the list helped us have a starting point; otherwise my kids would likely say "I dunno" when asked what they wanted to explore ... it's far too open-ended a question for most kids.

Some interests would have obvious paths open for pursuing them. "I want to sign up for fall soccer" or "Every day after lunch you should read Harry Potter to me" would be straightforward to implement. Other ideas might take a bit of further research, or some phone calls, or a visit to a program, or ordering or looking over some materials to see if they appeal. We'd plan to do that over the next week or so and then have a follow-up Learning Plan meeting. At that point we'd revise our actual approach to some of the things that weren't so straightforward, and we might talk a little more in depth about whether any structure was wanted ... a schedule, parental reminders, parental assistance in some way, or none of these.

At that point I'd write down what we were collaboratively envisioning. And then we'd plan to get together and look over the plan again in two or three months to discuss what changes we wanted to make. In our case the written version of the plan got "spun" a little into a form that our umbrella DL programs appreciated. Meaning, we organized it all around a school-like model and made mention any time we had academic-type resources "available." The phrase "will continue to explore ___ according to interests and inclinations" pops up fairly frequently in the Learning Plan documents I submit and pretty much means "we're unschooling and we prefer not to make any plans in this area."

Here's a link to a learning plan for Fiona in her KG year, all organized and polished up in edu-speak for our umbrella program. And here's her plan five years later.

Miranda

#21 of 23 Old 06-22-2014, 01:16 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I find this thread interesting to peek at because it is in the unschooling forum. After all, as an adult, I make lots of plans for the upcoming year, including many things I want to learn/do/focus on... My 3 and 5 year olds? So far, "plans" are pretty much limited to scheduled community activities, and aren't really their plans at all. So I'm very interested to hear the ways that evolves as kids get older.
#22 of 23 Old 06-23-2014, 08:05 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by my3legacies View Post
We will begin our new school year on June 30th. I will have 8th and 10th graders.

This is our curriculum for this coming year:

Language arts/spelling/grammar: Total Language Plus

Daily Silent Reading: Age appropriate books of their choice

Math: Teaching textbooks Algebra for both kids. The oldest will move to Geometry after Xmas.

Science: Apologia Physical Science

Typing: Free on line program

ASL for 8th grader: Free on line program

German for 10th grader: Rosetta Stone

American History (our own curriculum): We will be reading the following books this year, and doing assignments/projects based on these books.......
•George Washington: True Patriot
•Thomas Jefferson for Kids
•Thomas Jefferson Biography
•The Journals of Lewis and Clark
•Women’s Diaries of Westward Expansion
•Haunted Virginia: Legends, Myths, & True Tales
•A Kid’s Guide to Washington D.C.
•Uncle Tom’s Cabin
•Stonewall Jackson’s Battle of Harpers Ferry
•Abraham Lincoln Biography
•The Red Badge of Courage
•Harriet Tubman
•Stories in Uniform

Have any of you read any of these books?
we just started hsing last year in 6th grade. we had to do it through a charter school so that her father would agree to hsing.

we had to do 5 hours of 'work' everyday 5 days a week. we were given a curriculum.

we kinda stuck to the curriculum the first few months. and then started exploring.

and discovered if we showed enough work for school, it didnt matter what dd did.

i think the initial structure for hsing was good for dd. it gave her an idea of how much to do.

then we started looking at alternative curriculum. rather following dd's interest. she was so into Sherlock - which lead to london during sherlock times, which lead to diseases which lead to the plague. her teacher was happy as long as we were doing the subjects. i kept dd on track with certain aspects, because i wanted her to learn them. like ancient history. if i found her the right materials she enjoyed learning about them and what it means today.

school is out. summer is here and yet we are still hsing.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#23 of 23 Old 06-27-2014, 01:21 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Swim Club
Art Club
Library
and 2 classes he chose at the local cc for 'fun' one is photoshoppe and one is math.

there will be a summer vacation this year and probably a fall trip somewhere as well.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page