August 2014 Unschooling Thread - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 14Likes

#31 of 69 Old 08-22-2014, 12:47 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
We love love love the Beatles around here!!! And the Violent Femmes too. LOL

5yr- writing the letter Mm. He has wanted to write it every night this week. Asking me to spell words with the letter M. I love seeing this. He wants to do this all on his own.

We are all "reading" Cinderella (as if you didn't already know the Story) by Barbara Ensor
We are baking like crazy.
Enjoying the end of Aug.
rightkindofme likes this.
#32 of 69 Old 08-22-2014, 01:48 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
I can relate to both you and your husband mckittre.
#33 of 69 Old 08-22-2014, 11:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Erin ... I find it really interesting and a bit unsettling to all of a sudden have people inquire/challenge/defend in earnest now that we're 'officially' not going to school. The same people who've known our intention for years, and in some cases, even before we had kids, because this was always my intention.
These last few months have been awash with people asking about our plans, even though they well know them. As if I'd been playing at the idea, which I now understand is very common, as we see so many of our supposedly homeschool friends flee for the nearest brick-and-mortar school.
Finding out who our true allies will be on this journey, even though -- in my mind, anyway -- we've been on this journey since the kids were born.
Why is there so much surprise at something we made clear YEARS ago? It's not as if I go around saying one thing and doing another. Yeesh.
Hold fast, mama. K is getting more of an education than pretty much anyone I know.
xo

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#34 of 69 Old 08-22-2014, 11:10 PM

As for us, we met up with our homeschool buddies at the park today; bus travel, money math (bus fare), swimming, playing, card games, snack making- & sharing, baby-loving, hammock-lazing, sand castles, playground, following the garbage collector around (he let the interested ones pull the lever on his mini garbage truck!), reading, running, wasp research, sharing, talking, singing.
You know, "sitting at home in our pyjamas every day doing nothing," according to one recent homeschool naysayer.

We're off to a Not Back To School campout with about a dozen families on Labour Day for a few nights, with plans to explore a hidden lake nearby the park that we hope to adopt as our new swimming hole.

Then off to Ottawa for to visit family there, go to my in-laws cabin in Quebec, and a little road trip to Vermont, with a return via Montreal to see an old auntie there.

And one last camping hurrah for the fall, another unschool mama friend and I are planning a trip to Mt. St. Helens at the end of September , to indulge in our two five-year-old daughters' heavy interest in volcanology.

Here's to eking out the last of the season!

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#35 of 69 Old 08-23-2014, 01:11 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Does it count as sitting around in their pjs if I just forgot to make them take off their grubby clothes before bed and then they head outside the next day in the exact same mud-and-berry-colored fairy dresses? But if I listened to naysayers I'd never have done the most interesting half of my life (starting with walking to Alaska--didn't get a lot of optimistic predictions for that one).

Starling--it is so funny how people react differently once kindergarten has actually started! Luckily most of my kids' friends families are allies (not homeschoolers--just nice folks). I think a lot of the problem here is that some people take it so personally. Like I am hurting their beloved school and eroding the entire community. Which I am just a little, since enrollment does drive funding. But there are many ways to contribute to community (that I do do!) that don't require me sacrificing a huge portion of my kids' time. Somehow, I get the feeling that people don't think kids' time counts.

My littlest is sick, but I enjoyed taking an epic rock-scrambling beach hike with just the 5yo today, with many great sightings of marmots and weasels, making pinch pots from beach clay, and discussing the principles of density and mass as we hopped between the boulders. We had many long discussions about things like nuclear fusion, and what would happen if bike wheels were made of titanium, and how the sound waves come from a different spot when you whistle vs. talk (while trying to copy marmot whistles)... How on earth wouldn't this count as education?
#36 of 69 Old 08-23-2014, 08:42 AM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
So there's a teachers' strike going on here. We had rotating strikes for a few weeks in May and early June, and then a full-scale strike started June 14th or so. (School doesn't end here until the end of June.) It looks like there's no resolution in sight yet, so school won't be starting for a while.

And I don't know whether that's a factor, but yesterday I went to town with Fiona to look around the donation store for kitchen-ware for our departing teenagers and I heard about two and possibly three new homeschoolers. One is a fifth-grader who homeschooled in first grade. Another is a fourth-grader who is dyslexic and whose mom has been toying with homeschooling for a year or so to address his reading issues. And another is a fourth-grader (hearsay on this one). These families are having trouble stomaching the thought of their kids being in "that class," the Grade 4/5/6 class that is full of behaviour problems and other special needs. This is the class Fiona would have been in for the past while if she's ever considered school... which she didn't, that issue playing a large role in her decision.

Anyway, it means when I'm out and about in this community I'm fielding lots of questions about homeschooling. Not people questioning my choice, but people curious about what the options are, and which way the wind is blowing on various factors like staffing and funding and networking. Yesterday conversations sprang up at the donation store, the grocery store and the community market. For the past few years (since my older kids started attending school) this stuff had quietened down for me. Now it's back.

McKittre, like you we have an exceedingly small school suffering with fears of underfunding due to declining enrolment. But in our case (voluntarily) enrolling with the Distributed Learning program which is umbrella'd by the public school district and administered out of the same school preserves funding in our community. I feel it's important to make that clear to people who are homeschooling naysayers: that if there are a dozen kids homeschooling through the DL program that does not mean we are a dozen kids closer to having the school closed. In fact it means there are two types of education being served by the school and funded for it: a home-and-community-based stream and a bricks-and-mortar stream. Once people understand that my DL kid is generating full per-capita funding and helping employ a teacher at our local school, they warm up to phrases like "student-centred learning that is community based" and "self-directed learning for the twenty-first century" and "innovative forms of learning that aren't tied to a fixed location and a fixed curriculum."

So I guess there's still a bit of the homeschooling advocate and apologist left in me after all these years.

Miranda
rightkindofme likes this.

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

#37 of 69 Old 08-23-2014, 09:02 PM

Miranda -- I wish our district's homeschooling program worked that way! Best as I understand, if I were to sign up, some amount of money could be used to reimburse me for stuff, but the rest would end up pooling at the district level. Given a district of 9000 students and a school of 40 or so, the percentage that would end up at the local school seems miniscule. And our local homeschool bashers don't seem to like folks who use that program either.

I must say, the "you're hurting our school, our kids who attend there, and the people who have worked there and work so hard to make it a great place." attitude makes me exceedingly unlikely to want to have anything to do with the school! I'd love to see if there were some way to work with them to help increase the outdoor programs or offer science expertise. I'm willing to volunteer some of my time--if not all of my kids' time. But not if they hate me, you know?
#38 of 69 Old 08-24-2014, 09:55 PM

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Schools here start on Wednesday. I'm feeling kind of bummed about it. I'm not worried about ds missing kindergarten, I'm just bummed that all the parks will be empty, and that the water park is closing (even though we've got a few weeks of hot weather left) and so many of ds's friends will not be around to play during the day. I need to connect more with other homeschoolers around here.

I haven't gotten too much weirdness about not sending him to school yet. But I'm not sure if everyone has realized that's the plan. When anyone asks ds if he's starting school soon, he tells them that he finished going to school when we lived in Utah 2 years ago (he went to the campus daycare while I finished my bachelors degree, in his mind we both graduated ).

We live in Washington now. The schools in our district are suffering from over-crowding issues. My town is fairly small, and in a rural area, but the schools haven't been keeping up with the growth in the last few years. It's likely they will be switching to a year-round schedule to cope with the number of students. To make matters worse, they just switched all the kindergartens from half day to full day last year. One of my friends' kindergartner started off in a class with 35 other 5 year olds last year! I think they eventually got another teacher and siphoned some of the kids off to a new class, but it was still way bigger than I think any kindergarten class should be.

Mommy to DS1 July '09 and DS2 Oct '12 and someone new in May '15

#39 of 69 Old 08-24-2014, 10:18 PM

My kids were never big on crowds, so we always greeted the beginning of school as the time when we could reclaim our rightful domination over public spaces and attractions. Campgrounds, beaches, trails and parks would belong to us again! It was the best time of year to travel to the city to museums, zoos or science centres, because the schools would still be in the acclimating-kids-to-classroom-expectation phase and wouldn't be doing school trips to these places yet. Maybe you could enjoy something like that.

I love that your ds figures he graduated from school when he was 2. Cool!

Miranda
rumi and starling&diesel like this.

#40 of 69 Old 08-24-2014, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckittre View Post
Given a district of 9000 students and a school of 40 or so, the percentage that would end up at the local school seems miniscule.
Wow, that's a big district to be covering such a small school in such a rural area! Our school has about 90 kids K-12, but the district has fewer than 500 kids. The administrative part of our home-based learning funding stays at the district level, but there's a 0.4 FTE added to one of the local teachers' contracts -- and that keeps him working 0.6 FTE in the classroom where otherwise he might not be able to make a living -- and this year there are supposed to be some funds coming to the local level to pay for upkeep on an office/classroom area within our local school for the DL program.

Miranda

#41 of 69 Old 08-25-2014, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelorum View Post
Schools here start on Wednesday. I'm feeling kind of bummed about it. I'm not worried about ds missing kindergarten, I'm just bummed that all the parks will be empty, and that the water park is closing (even though we've got a few weeks of hot weather left) and so many of ds's friends will not be around to play during the day. I need to connect more with other homeschoolers around here.
Is there a regular park date, or a co-op of some sort? Do you have homeschooling friends already? If so, what about a Not Back To School picnic?

I can't wait for the school kids to go back, which won't be anytime soon if the teacher strike here drags on.
We live in the city, and everything gets SO BUSY in the summer.
I don't like crowds, and I more specifically don't like crowds of children, so we don't go to Science World, the aquarium, the pools, or the city beaches at all in the summer.
We're very excited to return to the pools in particular.
I know my kids miss the older children being in the park (they have heaps of neighbourhood friends), so in the fall we go to the park after 3pm when the nearby school lets out.
Oh, and we can snag a camping spot at the most popular campgrounds!
And we travel in September too ... cheaper tickets, touristy spots are quiet (see above), and it's a pace that I can handle.

I'm quietly biding our time until the city starts to quiet down. Can't wait!

#42 of 69 Old 08-25-2014, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
I love back to school for the same reasons. September is almost always glorious, weatherwise, and that gives us plenty of chances to get up to Mt Rainier or the coast and enjoy the quietness. Unfortunately, our activities are M-W and I work Friday and Sunday. Boo. I wish their riding instructor could change to Thursdays, but we have a homeschooling slot at 2:30 with no one behind it, and that gives some more spaciousness to the lesson, so we scheduled gymnastics up against that. I could have had a Friday lesson and have M-T-Wed morning free, but I've had those squeezed-in slots and I don't like it as much. That's going to make camping difficult during the year, and actually makes me want to ditch gymnastics for an extra month next summer, and take July-August-September off. The girls won't be thrilled, but I'm a bit disappointed in the schedule this year. The Sunday job, if it works out, is really necessary--full day every week, year-round and just in our little town 2.5 miles away.

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
#43 of 69 Old 08-25-2014, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter

I am poised to have to have dd9 step down from Fit & Show next year, when dd7 will be up at the table and competing directly. They both cry "noooo" but I see this issue simmering on how dd7 will "never" be able to qualify for Round Robin against her sister (I would have to agree, but silently). This arrangement would require one to step down for 1 year out of 3, a not-unreasonable idea. I'm afraid I'm going to have to do this. DD9 is going to be bitter, but it's her sister that will have to step down the following year, and then both get to show the next as different levels.

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
#44 of 69 Old 08-25-2014, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSilver View Post
I am poised to have to have dd9 step down from Fit & Show next year
Fit & Show?

m

#45 of 69 Old 08-25-2014, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter

I'm still unclear where the term "fitting" comes into showmanship, but "Fitting and Showing" is the term for the (headslap here--sorry for being so obvious) *showing* competition. The entrants are at a table with their birds and field questions about their birds and about poultry in general. While having a clean bird is necessary, the competition is entirely about how well the entrants handle their birds and field questions.

This girl has a nice video on showing the bird, but she doesn't include putting the birds into and out of the cage, or checking for mites and lice on the body, which is perhaps a regional preference and she is showing the physical characteristics of the bird. Watching the video, it was nice to see her showing the head and the body. Our judges usually ask about parasites and have the kids demonstrate those searches. Every judge is different, and ours for the first time didn't ask them to place them in cages.

Fitting and Showing is a category for all animals. I'm wondering whether the term didn't come from the placing of halters, etc. on the animal? My research has turned up no reason for the term. We shorten it to Fit and Show (or fit'nshow, really).

My girls are asking about showing ducks so as not to be at the same table. It looks like they are mulling over how they can work it now that I've put pressure on them to not be competing directly against each other.

#46 of 69 Old 08-25-2014, 06:55 PM

Thanks, got it! I wasn't sure whether it was gymnastics or riding or 4H or something altogether else.

Miranda

#47 of 69 Old 08-25-2014, 09:00 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I am not sure we are quite as unschoolish as others on here but definitely more unschoolish than most other families in our area (deep south US). This thread is so great though and very encouraging and inspirational to me, particularly when I start feeling like maybe we are too lax and carefree with "school" compared to other families in our area.

DD1 (7 yo) has been really interested in history. Last year we tagged along with a homeschool history group once a week for fun and since then she has been enjoying it a lot. She asks me to read some of the chapters in Story of the World about Mary Queen of Scotts with no prompting at all. I got her a book about Queen Elizabeth (not the current one but Henry VIII's daughter) and she devoured it in one sitting. I think she is really enjoying some of these strong female real-life characters that are much deeper and more complicated than her beloved Disney princesses. It's been interesting to watch her interests change and mature a little over the past year.

We are also doing a homeschool group with some friends of ours once a week. We sometimes do science, history, art or a field trip. DD1 has loved the art and has been reading about famous artists on her own as well. She is so empathetic too about their lives, wondering why Van Gogh would be so sad. It has been good for my kids to make friends and be exposed to some new ideas and concepts.

We are so relaxed on everything compared to the other families in the group. They stress a lot about not covering enough math curriculum or picking the right spelling curriculum. We just read a lot and DD seems to pick up new words just fine, I didn't even know there were homeschool grammar and spelling curriculums. That's all well and good for them I guess but they seem amazed that my kids are "so smart" when we don't do a much formal curriculum at all. I am just glad I have learned (finally!) to just let her explore her own interests, then she is a total sponge. She may not know her multiplication tables but I don't know many second graders who know about Monet, Picasso, Jackson Pollack, Van Gogh, Mary Queen of Scots, King James, or Queen Elizabeth either so I guess we are doing ok.

And in all of this, DD2 (4) and DD3 (1) come along for the ride and learn as they go too! DD3 is almost walking though which is a scary thought...I have a feeling she might be a runner given the chance (gulp!)

I wish we could spend more time outdoors but it is dangerously hot here in the South. It is 100 degrees plus and very humid. Heat advisories in effect all over and it just isn't pleasant at all. Hopefully the in the fall we can resume our nature hikes and camping. I am not sure which is worse, being stick inside during the cold wet winter or stuck inside during the miserably hot August of the South. Blech. Growing up in NY and having lived in CO this is totally not my thing...I desperately want to move back out west.

Granola-ey, crunchy, marathoning, natural living Christian mamatreehugger.gif down south with DHguitar.gif and DD1 (6)dust.gif, DD2 (2)energy.gif, and DD3 babygirl.gif.    homebirth.jpgwinner.jpgcd.giffemalesling.GIFgoorganic.jpghomeschool.gif
#48 of 69 Old 08-26-2014, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moominmamma View Post
Wow, that's a big district to be covering such a small school in such a rural area!
Yes, I think the district itself complains about it--the borough boundaries include both quite urban and very remote areas (ours is not their smallest school), and some of their high schools are bigger than many of their towns!

As might be obvious from my previous school-size comment, we really don't need things to "empty out" here, since there's really nowhere to go that might be full in the first place (except for a very few spots you might run into a bunch of tourists). So seeing school start up is just being sad about those kids who aren't around anymore to hike with us, and won't be able to ski with us come winter, etc... More sad this year since one of my best mom friends with kids my kids' age is in Hawaii until spring, so I kind of feel like we're losing everyone.

Of course, this August is very rainy, and my kid who was sick is now mostly just grumpy, and they drove me nuts for a good part of the day. I'll likely be in a better mood about it all tomorrow.

On the learning front, I almost wonder if the kids have decided they need to prove something to me, since they've both been decidedly schoolish lately. The 3yo is working very hard to try and sound out words, and the 5yo is trying to lecture everyone about neutrons and dark energy and atomic bombs and black holes and gamma rays. He even did a few math problems and a kenken puzzle, and a bunch of the "dragon box" game.

The 5yo and my husband just did a wilderness-skills camp out with some visiting instructors, learning different ways of fire making, stalking, etc... He apparently had a great time.
#49 of 69 Old 08-26-2014, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchymama19 View Post

I am not sure which is worse, being stick inside during the cold wet winter or stuck inside during the miserably hot August of the South. Blech. Growing up in NY and having lived in CO this is totally not my thing...I desperately want to move back out west.
Summer is far, far worse getting stuck indoors, shut against the heat. Fall and winter rains are cozy. Gentle enough I am even persuaded to go on walks outside and there are usually puddles to stomp through, and umbrellas to get out. When we lived in town, we could practically be in a puddle for the 6 blocks to the library--riding our bikes through them of sloshing through. Summer indoors is sitting half comatose in front of the fan and trying not to watch TV all day. Constantly checking indoor and outdoor temps to see when you can open up the doors and get some air (though that might be a western indulgence-- cooler evenings in general, though I notice it's regional as Seattle stays hotter at night than my rural home, both because we are rural and because we are "open" to the Pacific ocean air, which Seattle is not.)

#50 of 69 Old 08-26-2014, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter

I think we have a little bear lurking. Something raided our little crabapple tree, and this morning I heard some very undignified and un-deerlike crashing in the underbrush where I couldn't see. I watched from the backyard until-- CRASH CRASH gruntgruntgrunt CRASH -- I made a quick retreat to the door and called the girls up to watch from the house. A few more rustlings and it died down. Pulled the (stray) cat food in, which I needed to anyway or else my ancient cat would go around and eat the kibbles and throw them up (he's off kibbles forever, much to his discontent).

Funny, 17 years of owning this property, lots of bear signs and bear damage and never once have I seen a live bear before. I still didn't see out little one today, but I'm confident that's what it was.

However..... for those of you with more black bear experience, how little can they be to remain that unseen and be away from the company of their mothers? Did I have a monster grunting porcupine back there instead? Do they make that crazy noise (surely they are big enough to do so much crashing, they can be as big as a pig here!) If they can grunt just like a little bear, chances are it was a family of porcupines, and I still did not see a bear. I bet the little ones could even get into the crabapple tree.

ETA: OK, a little research and I think, despite how big and low the sound was, that it was a porcupine. I would never have guessed they sound this way! Someone in a another forum though it was a pig. I was thinking "bear", so I didn't think "pig" right away, but it was just like that. Cool.

#51 of 69 Old 08-26-2014, 01:19 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
My children must be studying hard on conflict resolution. Lots of fighting. Over everything. Lol. We went to an apple orchard sat and the library before that. The kiddos built habitats for lego animals. Ive been making apple sauce the past couple days and they like to inspect the cores and seeds. Dd watched Johnny Appleseed. We rented a dvd at the library about sight words and they have become enamored. They have probably watched it ten us times.
#52 of 69 Old 08-26-2014, 02:03 PM

Speaking of bears and porcupines and fruit trees .... we are in the process of installing temporary electric fencing around our fall-bearing fruit trees for the first time, in an effort to keep the bears from eating everything and breaking the trees. I did a workshop earlier this summer and have a pretty good idea of how to do this, but I expect that once we pick up our order, Fiona and I will muddle through together and learn a lot. Today we were hack-sawing some left-over rebar into 5-foot lengths and it occurred to me to suggest she collect the iron filings. She used large rare-earth magnets to collect them from the ground, and then spent quite a while playing with them on a plastic yogurt lid with various types and shapes of magnet, video'ing the dance the filings did.

Ds17 left for college this morning. Dd20 will be leaving this afternoon, entailing an overnight trip to a city with a proper airport. Dd15 will be moving in a week or so, but more gradually. Transitions!

miranda
SweetSilver likes this.

#53 of 69 Old 08-26-2014, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter

I had an emotional but much more minor transition-- putting some much-worn clothing up for sale at our yard sale and at the thrift store. Didn't realize until afterward how much it impacted me to be giving away some of these things! DD7 still wanted her squirrel patterns leggings, but even as slim as she is, 5T is way too tight. Imagining packing the kids off to various cities is too much for me to contemplate.

I'm having a lazy day and keep getting back on this contraption. Get off get off get off. If I post again before 6:30, smack me or something.

#54 of 69 Old 08-26-2014, 06:11 PM

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by starling&diesel View Post
Is there a regular park date, or a co-op of some sort? Do you have homeschooling friends already? If so, what about a Not Back To School picnic?

I know a few homeschoolers in the area. There is a local group, but I haven't met up with them yet. They don't seem to have a park day, but there is a Not Back To School picnic planned for next week. I'm hoping to make it to that. There is a gymnastics school that I think is going to be having a homeschool open gym hour, which should be a big help in the winter. I'm really hoping it's well enough attended to keep going, there are no other indoor play places in town, unless you count McDonald's :P

Mommy to DS1 July '09 and DS2 Oct '12 and someone new in May '15

Last edited by Angelorum; 08-26-2014 at 06:32 PM.
#55 of 69 Old 08-26-2014, 06:19 PM

DS6 is constantly asking when it is going to snow and I am desperately trying to enjoy every minute of summer. Fall is lurking around the corner as pools will be closing next week, kids will be going back to school, and leaves will begin to fall. But for now, we are swimming every day. DS has learned to dive into the deep end of the pool and I am so very relieved that he can somewhat swim. We have been picking and processing fruit. We have an amazing tomato crop this year and DS comes in every day with the ripened ones. A few doors down is a house that has been empty for a few years. The apple tree is full of apples, so we have plenty apple sauce made already. We had our yard sale; cleaned around the house and around the yard. I'm hoping to go on a small vacation with DS come September.
#56 of 69 Old 08-27-2014, 06:52 AM

SweetSilver, I don't know about your area, but in the south wild hogs are a nuisance and dangerous. They are very big, aggressive and destructive to the point where it is open season on them all the time. So if it is one of those be careful!
Taking a trip to the city (Memphis) this afternoon. There is a tremendous international market there with foods from all over the world that you would never find anywhere else. Most things are written in another language and few people speak English in the store. It's always a fun trip but DH and I have to plan carefully before we go there so we know what we're looking for.
We got a big trampoline now which will hopefully help the kids burn off energy when it isn't too stinking hot outside. I wish we lived in a more rural and wooded area for them to play but we have to work with what we have right now in Suburbia.

Granola-ey, crunchy, marathoning, natural living Christian mamatreehugger.gif down south with DHguitar.gif and DD1 (6)dust.gif, DD2 (2)energy.gif, and DD3 babygirl.gif.    homebirth.jpgwinner.jpgcd.giffemalesling.GIFgoorganic.jpghomeschool.gif
#57 of 69 Old 08-27-2014, 08:04 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Haven't been writing as much as I would like to but I thought it worth noting that dd continues to work on Distributed Proofreaders very regularly and really likes it. So often we start things and leave them after a while so I thought I would note that this is an interest that she has really taken on. I have never reminded her about it, rather she often encourages me to do it just because she likes it so much.

She also has me on a schedule to read one Harry P book every month so that I can catch up to her by the end of the year. We are on the third one right now. She is waiting for me to catch up before she reads the seventh one, the idea being that we will read it together.

<contented sigh>

no longer  or  or ... dd is going on 12 (!) how was I to know there was a homeschool going on?
#58 of 69 Old 08-27-2014, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchymama19 View Post
SweetSilver, I don't know about your area, but in the south wild hogs are a nuisance and dangerous. They are very big, aggressive and destructive to the point where it is open season on them all the time. So if it is one of those be careful!
No worries about wild hogs here, but I understand your caution. I spent about a month camping 2 years in a row in the Ocala National Forest in Florida along with the Rainbow Family folks, and it was an eyeopener that made me heartily appreciate the relative safety of the Pacific Northwest wilderness! I remember walking back through the woods one night and hearing a grunting that I was sure was a hog at the time and it made my heart race. Now, having heard a porcupine, it might have been one of those but I'm not sure that's any better!

Florida was gorgeous and wonderful, but the scorpions, the alligators, the spiders and snakes and wild hogs, the ticks day in and day out...... I really had to learn to coexist with these things or else I wouldn't have been able to move anywhere out of fear. "Respect" was the operating word (massive, unceasing respect), and I had some close encounters that are good memories instead of frightening. It was wonderful to have the chance to learn about these dangerous creatures more intimately, on a realistic level.

#59 of 69 Old 08-27-2014, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter

rumi, enjoy your Harry Potter journey. While there were chapters that were interminable (namely in Order of the Phoenix, which also has some of the best chapters in the series and why I found the book so frustrating) she keeps the momentum going until the end, and the seventh book is as great as the third. Well. Not quite. I do love Prisoner of Azkaban best of all. And even Order of the Phoenix, which alternately irritates and fascinates me, is a great read. Enjoy! Your reading the series for the first time? I envy you. I can read the books again, but never again for the first time!

#60 of 69 Old 08-27-2014, 11:37 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSilver View Post
rumi, enjoy your Harry Potter journey. While there were chapters that were interminable (namely in Order of the Phoenix, which also has some of the best chapters in the series and why I found the book so frustrating) she keeps the momentum going until the end, and the seventh book is as great as the third. Well. Not quite. I do love Prisoner of Azkaban best of all. And even Order of the Phoenix, which alternately irritates and fascinates me, is a great read. Enjoy! Your reading the series for the first time? I envy you. I can read the books again, but never again for the first time!
Indeed I am reading them for the first time! Hardly imagined that I would read them but dd is so keen I can't say no. She has read the first six, most (all?) more than once.

Right now we are actually listening to the audiobook because the library was out of copies of Book3.

no longer  or  or ... dd is going on 12 (!) how was I to know there was a homeschool going on?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page