August 2014 Unschooling Thread - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 14Likes

#61 of 69 Old 08-30-2014, 08:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
We had our weekly homeschool group yesterday and had a great time. One of the mom's talked a little bit about Picasso, showed some of his work and let the kids explore their own painting and they had a blast. The mom who was leading wanted to make sure it was OK if she didn't give much instruction and hoped we weren't disappointed and I assured her that the way she did it was great! The kids really got into it, did their own thing, and then ran around and played for 2 hours while the mom's chatted.
This weekend will be rainy but I think my kids could use some downtime anyway. They have been going full speed all week and it came out yesterday afternoon as whining and crying and fighting so I think it's time for a rest. Hopefully the rain will bring some more reasonable temperatures so we can do a hike next week without melting.
DD1 has asked me to read more history stuff, so we did Christopher Columbus yesterday. It is fun having DH around when I do that as he has read a lot of "revisionist" history about who really discovered America including theories about the Vikings and China making it here long before Columbus. So he gave DD3 lots to think about. We are also reading Chronicles of Narnia (starting with The Magicians Nephew), so I hope they want to read more today. Mommy is in suspense about what happens next!

SweetSilver, your time in Florida sounds so interesting! Louisiana is pretty wild too. Although I still feel a bit safer in the woods here in the deep south than I did in Colorado - we had mountain lions and rattlesnakes there...gosh I miss it!

Granola-ey, crunchy, marathoning, natural living Christian mamatreehugger.gif down south with DHguitar.gif and DD1 (6)dust.gif, DD2 (2)energy.gif, and DD3 babygirl.gif.    homebirth.jpgwinner.jpgcd.giffemalesling.GIFgoorganic.jpghomeschool.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 69 Old 08-31-2014, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
We have 27 chickens. I've had the most recent batch of 17 bantams since April. I just learned that we have one named "Sunshine". I have done all the mental accounting I could. And, indeed, I have a blank space in my head where that name should be. How did I miss this?

Chalk it up to the girls knowing more than I do at this point. I started giving them .50 per dozeneggs we seel. They are priced to cover feed, otherwise I'd give them more. I gave them this because of all their hard work, but I did say I'd like to see some more regular help with feed and water, otherwise it doesn't make economic sense to keep doing giving it to them regularly.

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
#63 of 69 Old 08-31-2014, 09:07 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Hello everyone, it is lovely to read about how things are going for you. I miss MDC so I may show up a bit more often again.

This year we get to file the private school affidavit for the first time. The beginning of first grade. We are real, actual home schoolers as of October 1st. Up to now I have considered us "eventual" home schoolers.

Our days are so busy. I feel blessed and burdened by where we live. We could be out of the house seven days a week for twelve hours a day going from event to event. I have to really consciously pull back and say, "We are staying home for two whole days this week. We need rest."

We live in the bay area and there are probably a dozen home schooling groups with a combined total of a few thousand home schoolers within maybe a 100 mile diameter of our house. We have wonderful resources available. Sometimes that feels more like a curse than a blessing.

We can pick between homeschool classes for parkour, or any other martial art, any music class, choir, gymnastics, swimming, languages... it goes on and on. We have so many fabulous resources that I really want to hide in my house with my wonderful library and play ground in the back yard. Can't we be home bodies!! Apparently not.

I have finally found a local baby sitter (a home schooled teenager just a few doors away!) so that I'm not the only one responsible for my kids ALL DAY EVERY DAY. (She has been coming once a week for four hours and now she is going to start coming twice a week for four hours. I AM SO EXCITED.) That feels so awesome. The babysitter is at a stage where she is totally happy to sit down and do four hours of dedicated crafting with the kids. I am super sucky at crafting. I'm not a sit-very-still-to-be-creative person. I like building with wood and painting big things and writing books. I am not what you call "crafty" but I am a maker. Different. I'm really happy they have a substitute big sister nearby who *loves* crafting with them. And we are funding her growing independence. It's a mutually satisfying system.

I wake up between 3:30 and 5am. I get my quiet time before other people wake up. That's when I write my books and watch my wonderful reruns of The West Wing. (I have nearly memorized the whole series. Love it.) At 6:30 I "come on shift" and I make the tea to go with the breakfast my husband is already making. Youngest daughter (4) sets the table as we all go through our "Good morning, so good to see you again! I hope you slept well." We sound... so Victorian in how we start our day. It's kind of funny and effusive that we keep it up year after year.

After breakfast my husband runs off to work and the kids and I smile at each other and announce, "Chore time!" Then we get up and start tidying up. We spend about an hour. We are generally done with all the tidying by 8 am, often earlier if it wasn't that messy of a day yesterday.

Then it varies dramatically by the day. The babysitter is going to be arriving 8-12 on Mondays and Wednesdays. (I'm so excited I can barely sit still. Now I will have an easier time sending my books out to be rejected by many publishers. W00t!) Tuesdays are park days with the home school group. Thursdays we go hiking with the home school families who live within 3 miles of us. (In the bay people are spread out like mad. Most/many of our friends live a 45+ drive away.) Fridays I flop on the floor and try not to cry. The kids play all day and we generally go into the weekend with a truly fantastic mess.

Life is a lot of fun. We get through so many neat projects. My kids are getting better and better at painting. It helps that they've been working on permanent installation murals since they were in diapers. Their talent by far exceeds mine. I am so proud of them. I'm glad I get to give them the time and space to get good at this.

I love unschooling.

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

#64 of 69 Old 08-31-2014, 11:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Lovely to see you here, rightkindofme!

I've been very interested in getting a homeschooled teen to come be a mother's helper while I do some work in actual daylight hours. Can I ask how much you pay her?

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#65 of 69 Old 08-31-2014, 06:11 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by starling&diesel View Post
Lovely to see you here, rightkindofme!

I've been very interested in getting a homeschooled teen to come be a mother's helper while I do some work in actual daylight hours. Can I ask how much you pay her?
She charges $10/ hour.

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

#66 of 69 Old 09-02-2014, 02:04 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
we went off on vacation this labor day weekend. we saw an aquarium and legoland in kansas city mo and visited trex cafe in kansas city ks. lots of fun. lots of educational opportunities, and lots of running around. so today Im just working on getting back into the swing of things with chores and cooking. kiddos are doing some creative play and maybe later we will read some books about sea life to follow up.
#67 of 69 Old 09-03-2014, 07:11 PM

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
We went to the local not-back-to-school picnic yesterday. We all had fun, met some nice people, and came home and crashed afterwards. I could not even keep my eyes open, me and the little guy slept for a couple of hours afterwards!

Otherwise, we are enjoying beautiful mild weather, and trying to keep up with all the produce coming in from the garden. DS1 is on a money-earning kick, so he's been doing lots of extra chores lately. I'm actually having a hard time coming up for things for him to do! Not that there isn't plenty of housework that needs doing, but not so many things that he's adept enough to do without a lot of work and supervision on my part, that I don't always have time to give.

Mommy to DS1 July '09 and DS2 Oct '12 and someone new in May '15

#68 of 69 Old 09-04-2014, 06:21 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Been a lot of creative, independant play. Currently enjoying Harry and the Hendersons. Not a lot of "bookwork" other than some computer games. Logically I know its all okay but there is a part of me feeling like a slacker/bad homeschooler.
#69 of 69 Old 09-05-2014, 03:49 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Come on over to Sept.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page