September Unschooling Thread - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 26Likes

#1 of 74 Old 09-02-2014, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
September 2014 Unschooling Thread

Everyone's favorite thread, back again for another month. Anything goes-- day in the life, week-in-review, musings, chat, photos, whatever.

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."

Last edited by SweetSilver; 10-08-2014 at 01:12 PM.
#2 of 74 Old 09-02-2014, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter

Today we are....

NOT GOING TO SCHOOL!!!!

The weather is glorious, kids in a good mood, getting some chores done and planning nothing for the rest of the day. Going nowhere, doing whatever. They even "let" me play (without whine or complaint) some of my old dance music from my days growing up in the 80's so I could groove my way through my work.

That just about sums it up.

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
#3 of 74 Old 09-02-2014, 01:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Oh was today the first day? I think here it was last week. Anyway we didn't go then and we didn't go now. It's been kind of a quiet day so far. I am trying to write something and dd is reading as usual. Ground up some dosa batter, which is now fermenting and I also started a batch of yogurt, a bowl of chickpea sprouts and am soaking flour to make bread, so we've got all kinds of bacteria working for us. Will check them out just before dinner time and do the next steps.

Our hs co-op is having a picnic on friday. It is a small co-op and though we would like to grow, we are limited in how we can publicize because we want to keep it secular.

dd just read the Westing Game which was one of my childhood favorites. I am almost finished with HP3, will have to wrap it up asap so that I don't fall behind with HP4. dd lost a tooth the other day and as usual I had no idea what to give her but made up a little certificate entitling her to one-hour extension on one of her favorite night time games (the extension is for me to play it with her, generally i declare myself unavailable for any games after 9:30 pm) and she was thrilled.
rightkindofme likes this.

no longer  or  or ... dd is going on 12 (!) how was I to know there was a homeschool going on?
#4 of 74 Old 09-02-2014, 01:54 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
This is our first year of filing with the state as a private school. I feel like I have finally arrived and I can call myself a for-real home schooling parent. We live directly across from an elementary school so it is loud again. I'm really looking forward to this year. This whole school year will be spent in preparation for a road trip next year. We are going across the country and spending over five months in our van. Just me and the kids. I'm scared but excited.

We've been spending a lot of time looking at maps already.

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

#5 of 74 Old 09-02-2014, 10:48 PM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Today was our Not Back To School day, but we were joined by all the other public schoolchildren in the province of BC, since the teachers here are on strike.

It was a busy day for us. We made a trip to town to move the first load of furniture and housewares into the apartment we've rented there, and bought a bunch of staples and basics, and reassembled a bunch of furniture, and dealt with the nitty-gritty of the lease and utility accounts. Didn't stay overnight. No need, since activities for my unschooler don't start until next week and school for my 15-year-old won't start until the strike is over. Plus my 15-year-old is still working shifts during the week at her summer job in our community: they're delighted that she's still available, and it'll help pay for some perks as she lives semi-independently this year.

Fiona has been reading her way through Scott Westerfeld's "Uglies" series. She's discovered that she can purchase ebooks without needing me to enter my CC number and is thrilled. She pays me back, so I'm cool with that. But I can't wait until we get our first utility bill at the apartment, at which point we'll be able to go to the library in town and get borrowing privileges! Then she can start borrowing books.

Her big accomplishment today was assembling a couple of somewhat complicated IKEA items from the schematics.

The teachers are back picketing the school. Since I won't cross their picket-line, that means it's going to be a while before there's any resolution to the odd signals I got from the new principal of our umbrella program (as I mentioned in my "So this could be interesting" thread).

Fiona's interest in modern architecture continues. She's been planning a dream trip to Europe and the UK to see the buildings of some of her favourite architects. She planned it all out on some travel planner web app, marking in all the landmarks and working out a sensible travel route. "I'll go there during my gap year," she says. Whatever that means in the context of unschooling.

Tomorrow I aim to install the electric fencing around the fruit trees.

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

#6 of 74 Old 09-03-2014, 03:36 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
I don't know when the kids go back to school. LOL Don't really care.

My 5yr is writing his letters. Number are popping up.

We had the hottest day of the year yesterday. So we stayed in the water.
#7 of 74 Old 09-03-2014, 07:45 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi everyone,

I don't think I've ever posted in this particular forum before. My kids are nearly 5 and 7, and this was our second year filing with the state that we're homeschooling dd.

We're moving out of state this month, so everything is in upheaval and I feel like I'm treading water and barely staying afloat. I can't wait until we're in our new home and things settle down a bit.

So I guess the kids are learning a lot about what it takes to move right now, and I look forward to exploring our new community with them, finding new parks and exploring our new library, and finding new favorite places and activities.

We're moving from Wisconsin, which doesn't require reporting beyond enrollment, to Iowa, which requires either testing or supervision by a licensed teacher. I'd love to hear any advise from Iowa home schoolers. I'll post that in the general home schooling thread as well.
#8 of 74 Old 09-04-2014, 11:15 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
We went to a homeschool meet-up. It was packed!!! Nice to see.
#9 of 74 Old 09-04-2014, 07:01 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Life continues as it has for the last months and years. I have noticed the bus going by numerous times a day but that is the biggest change for us since school started. Just had a really fun bike ride in town with my kiddos, grandma, and my sisters and their kids. My 6 year old is the oldest and is just so much fun to be with. Tomorrow we will spend the whole day in the outdoor kitchen canning tomatoes with many extra hands around. So much life to live. Love it!
#10 of 74 Old 09-04-2014, 07:19 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I am pregnant with our fourth child and due at the end of this month, Sept 28th. My brother is getting married Oct 3rd. My children are in the wedding. It's a 2.5 hour drive to the ceremony location, so not too far. I am just trying to not stress and see how this all plays out.

The first day of school we were at the park for an annual Not Going Back To School Picnic. It rained, for the third year in a row, but it doesn't deter very many as there were many there. There is a pavillion we hang under but the kids play in the rain!

Today my daughter had her computer science class, we hung out at the park with friends. When we picked her up we went back to the park to play.

Tomorrow we are gong to friends house to make garden stepping stones with cement and rhubarb leaves, if it doesn't rain If it does rain we are going to meet up at the Children's Museum.

My friend invited us out to her house in the country next week, for lunch and I am to "sit and relax while the kids play". They have chickens so we are excited to see them and how much they've grown since the last fall.

I am always grateful for our homeschooling community and so grateful for some good friends who are making this last bit of pregnancy more bearable. It's nice to keep the kids busy and happy even when I'm slowly waddling every where and can't keep up.

Our homeschool group is having a carnival next Tuesday to kick off the year. The same mom organized a carnival last year and it was lots of fun, looking forward to it.

Gymnastics starts on the 17th, at 9:30 in the morning, which is early for us. We are on summer hours which means my two oldest couldb e up until at least midnight and dad puts them to bed, they get to they wake up on their own in the morning. My toddler and I go to bed earlier. I'm not sure if I'll be trying to get everyone up earlier now in preparation for the "school year" when activities start earlier or just go cold turkey and drag everyone out of bed on the 17th.

Sadly we are skipping some activities that our group has organized this month because I think I just can't do it. The kids don't seem to mind though.

My daughters helped me go through the baby clothes, to wash and put away for baby, we had fun...lots of "oh this is so cute!"

My youngest daughter (3) really likes to keep busy so I have been gathering some activities that are readily easy to grab to keep her entertained, in preparation of the new baby. My oldest was playing "play school" with her the other day and it was easy because different activities were easy to grab, and easy to put away. Yay me for being a little more organized
rumi likes this.
#11 of 74 Old 09-04-2014, 07:59 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Just got back from a Not Back To School camp-out with about a dozen families or so.
Home today and tomorrow for laundry, then off to Ottawa for a ten-day trip to visit family and hang out at their cottage in Quebec. Then I go to Lethbridge for work, then the kids and I are aiming for a trip to Mt. St. Helen's (my kids are big into volcanoes these days) at the end of the month.
Too busy for my liking, but all fun stuff!

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#12 of 74 Old 09-05-2014, 11:16 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Just had a glorious 3 day backpacking trip up to a prominent local ridge with another mom and her 5yo, as well as my two kids. I like having three days for these short trips--it takes a whole day to get the 3.5yo up or down the mountain, and it allows a whole other explore/play day in the alpine as well. Both the up-high days were awesome. Then we hiked/paddled/biked home in the pouring rain yesterday. Which made me realize that my not-schooled kids actually get plenty of practice at doing things they don't like, as reality tends to impose its own limits. (If you feel grumpy about the steep muddy trail and the rain and say you want to go home, it really isn't possible without walking down said steep muddy trail. It is usually possible to take breaks, unless darkness is an issue. But reality is fairly clear about such things, and the kids usually stop complaining and get back into fun zone within a minute or two of grumping--especially the five year old). Then I woke up to realize it was Friday, and hence we had to get all the barely-dry raingear out for our regular weekly hike. Which I can't skip because I'm the leader, but we all ended up having so much fun anyway (a mellow hike with lots of play time) that I'm glad there was no option. Watching kids play outside, when there's nothing else I could be getting done anyway, is actually one of the most relaxing things I do. Not quite so glad to bike home up the hill with both kids on the bike and a load of mushrooms I couldn't help picking. I'm doing good on exercise, at least.

And now my wild woods child is in bed, supposed to be sleeping, discussing with his dad why leftover energy turns to heat and why our eyes can't detect gamma rays and why some things block sound waves. I'm not sure why he supposedly needs to be spending his entire day in academic pursuits inside a school, when we're already turning to wikipedia frequently to keep up with his questions.
rumi and healthy momma like this.
#13 of 74 Old 09-07-2014, 04:53 AM

McKittre, do I understand that you guide people on hikes? Just thinking …. maybe someday ….

Agree with you that demands of life require that we adjust to various things that we wouldn't have chosen left to ourselves, but I have seen families that go to extraordinary lengths to minimize that. Though it has little to do with unschooling. Anyway …

been trying to take up sewing. Started with mending. dd wants to sew. FUnny thing is I did sew quite a bit as a child / early teen. Mostly during summer vacation. Since we don't have summer vacation, I seem to have forgotten how to set aside a few days for a sewing project. Or even set aside the floor for spreading out all the cloth and cutting a pattern, as I used to do.

So anyway we have been mending away which is great because dd never likes to admit her clothes are no longer wearable and now she gets to extend their life. I also have a favorite nightdress that got torn and now I like it even better with this bit T-shaped patch of cloth on it.

We got the Art of Problem Solving, Book 1 and it seems promising. Definitely not too easy, though it is called "The Basics." dd hasn't started it but I am reading it and weaving some of the points into our conversations so that when she starts it it will be familiar to her.

She has started making little videos and likes both filming and editing. Fortunately she is a much quicker editor than I could ever be, so when we film little events she will actually convert them to movies and upload them for our relatives to see, whereas left to me they would remain on the disk for ever.

no longer  or  or ... dd is going on 12 (!) how was I to know there was a homeschool going on?
#14 of 74 Old 09-07-2014, 04:57 AM

Oh and by the way I finished HP 3 two days ago and started HP4 last night. The beginning was quite gripping. Even though I will have to read more than one chapter / day I think I will finish on time this month :-)

#15 of 74 Old 09-07-2014, 05:53 AM

I feel like September is our decompression month from summer. Summer is so busy here. We get season passes to the local water park (it's only 3 miles from our house) so we are there many days a week for swimming practice.

This summer we were hiking, swimming, or biking every day of the week. Many days we did "multiple sports". I have never ever in my life been this active before. I feel like I'm about to die. The kids begged though and I really didn't want to say no. I want them to be a kind of physically fit I aspire to but don't currently have. That means I have to say yes.

It's been funny how doing a bunch of sports at once flatlines my progress in each sport. I'm not getting faster at anything. But I can tell I'm building muscle. I'm just too sore to go fast.

Before I had kids I hadn't been swimming in years and I didn't own a bike and I hadn't ridden once since high school and I didn't run. Things can change so dramatically if you want them to badly enough.

So September we are cutting back to my normal running schedule (10k in 3 weeks, 1/2 marathon in 9 weeks, marathon in 6 months) plus hiking once a week plus biking three days a week. It seems more like a load I can carry and do other things. My house has lots of piles of detritus all over and I'm trying to deal with them. (I keep the floor tidy, but the tops of bookshelves and dressers and cabinets can become problem areas.)

My birthday is this week. I'm looking forward to this year more than any other birthday of my entire life. I am going camping by myself. I will spend the day in solitude and silence. I am really excited. I will have no expectations of anyone else. I will have no room for disappointment. (My birthdays have a long and varied history of being terrible in ways you could make bad movies about.)

We are hosting a few home school events this month. Painting. I'm having our local homeschool group slowly paint my whole back yard over the years. It is ridiculously fun. We do a section of fence every year. This month we are painting planter boxes.

After the painting day we are having another tea party. I call my house Wonderland and Tea Parties are kind of our "thing". We host one every other month or so. I read a different tea related story, talk about etiquette, why it is worth practicing once in a while, and I supply Tons Of Sugar. It's a lot of fun. The moms tell me that restaurant manners are improving.

We aren't enrolled in any classes this month. Partially I'm trying to pay the budget back. The summer was a bit more expensive than it really should have been. I'll feel flush enough in the kid section of the budget to start classes again in October. This month is going to be busy enough.

And we are getting ready to start a bathroom remodel. (Necessary. Black mold in the flooring and walls.) Life is going to be stressful for a while.

A milestone happened yesterday. My four year old announced that she wished I wasn't her mother. I cried. I know that isn't the "best" response but I didn't start the day off well. I left the room to do my crying. She came to me after a bit and said, "Mom. You have to know that I'm not serious when I say things like that. I was just mad. Of course I want you. I'm sorry I hurt your feelings."

I told her that would always be very hard for me to hear because lots of people haven't wanted me. My whole family chose rapists over me. My kids don't understand that and they won't for decades. But this is going to be a really hard one for me. Which means she will say it again when she wants a rise out of me.

Lots of hugs afterwards. Being a mom is hard.

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

#16 of 74 Old 09-07-2014, 06:50 AM

OMG

I haven't had the kind of trauma that I hear you describing but can still relate to the incident you mention. dd has said things that hurt my feelings and later said that she didn't mean it and often had to say unreasonable / extreme things to get her anger out.

I personally don't get angry / don't express anger (not sure which) and so I don't know how it feels to say things I don't mean "because I am angry." I am not saying that there is anything great about the fact that I don't get angry maybe I am completely repressed and missing out on a healthy human emotion. I really don't know. But while I continue to encourage dd to learn to deal with / control her anger and try to see things from other perspectives, I try not to expect her to be anger-less just because I seem to be.

#17 of 74 Old 09-07-2014, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter

DD9 let me read Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats, as few poems each night. It has always been one of my favorites. We only had one left last night, and she asked be about the book I had (Collected Works by TS Eliot) and so I read her The Love Song of J. Alfred Proofrock. It was an unexpected indulgence. The poem was one of my English teacher's favorites. She was passionate about poetry, both what she loved and hated. I had her for 2 years and laughed when she introduced the Romantics. She introduced them with this line from Shelley: "I fall upon the thorns of life!/ I die! I faint! I fail!" ("I hate the Romantics!" she would never fail to add.) I have no idea what that poem was from, but those lines stuck with me for the rest of my life. She adored the Realists especially-- Eliot, Yeats, which I agreed with her on, not so sure I shared her tastes in prose.

I'm not a big poetry reader. I do love it sometimes. But it is often too self-conscious for me to enjoy, too "poignant". So I like when these poems surprise me in a way, suck me in, set a scene, a tone and Proofrock does just that. I asked dd what she thought of this character, someone who has "measured out [his] life in coffeespoons". I didn't need to explain about the women in the poem, thankfully :/ (Come to think of it, it's a pretty seedy poem dressed appropriately in a high collar and tie.)

Anyway, good times. Though it's a hard transition from kids' stuff to adult sometimes

#18 of 74 Old 09-07-2014, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightkindofme View Post
So September we are cutting back to my normal running schedule (10k in 3 weeks, 1/2 marathon in 9 weeks, marathon in 6 months) plus hiking once a week plus biking three days a week. It seems more like a load I can carry and do other things.
I'm trying to remember exactly how old your kids are, but I'm sure they're not even pre-teens yet, so I'm amazed that they are able and wanting to do so much physical activity! The idea that you need cut them back and yet even with that are still doing enough to train for a marathon blows my mind! I know a few really exceptional kids like this thanks to being involved in our area's "Sufferfest" trail running and mountain biking festival for the past few years, and I often wondered what it was that propelled them to such high levels of activity. I've done my best to encourage that in my kids, because I got *nothing* of the sort as a kid and wish it had been otherwise, but they're at most three-days-a-week kids when it comes to outdoor aerobic fitness stuff like trail-running, biking and hiking (yoga, dance and gymnastics fitting in around the edges of that).

I'm also impressed that you're able to carve out the time for a marathon training schedule at this point in your kids' lives. I had to wait until my kids were older. I suppose if they're running *with* you at least some of the time that helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumi View Post
We got the Art of Problem Solving, Book 1 and it seems promising. Definitely not too easy, though it is called "The Basics." dd hasn't started it but I am reading it and weaving some of the points into our convers
I'll be interested to hear more about your experience with this as it's definitely a book on our wish list. I'm teetering on the brink of ordering it (though it'll probably cost us the better part of a hundred bucks by the time I pay shipping to Canada plus taxes and brokerage). Fiona likes her current math program, but it's a standard Canadian school curriculum and I feel like especially since she's so far ahead it would be nice to continue encouraging her to do some lateral enrichment rather than just heading straight through. We used the Challenge Math book when she was younger, and it distracted her -- in a good way -- for the better part of a year. So do post back about AoPS Basics!

Last weekend we volunteered with Sufferfest. I normally choose a race or two to register for but because I expected to be moving middle dd to school that weekend, I didn't register or train. So I jumped in as a volunteer at the last minute. The running races went right below our property, and I was doing some marshalling and medic'ing at various aid stations nearby, as well as manning the cable-car bucket-crossing (pulled about a hundred transits of that thing... gosh my chest and shoulders were sore the next day!) with access via trails only. It was about a 13 hour day on the mountain for me, but Fiona came and hung out for the middle five hours, which was lovely especially since she showed up with fresh-baked cookies and a thermos of coffee! She had to use a map to find the right trail junction (about half an hour's walk from home) and did so without difficulty, which was awesome. I should say that normally I wouldn't have her navigating places by map on her own, but since the trails were being used by runners and occasional race marshals, I was pretty sure if she ran into trouble she could get help. But she did fine, and it was great to have her help. And her cookies.

We attended a lovely event this weekend. We went to the filmography showcase of a local couple. He grew up in the cohort of kids just older than my eldest dd, so is maybe 24, and so to Fiona he is categorized sort of like an older cousin. His partner is Hungarian, a lovely girl who has volunteered at many of the same community events as our family over the past couple of summers. So they feel like ordinary young people bridging the divide into self-sufficient adulthood. They're film school graduates, freelancing here during the summers and in Budapest during the winters. They will take almost any job, and they've done a fair bit of community-service filming, just trying to build their portfolio. They showed all their Canadian work from this summer on Friday night -- mostly 5-minute promotional or commemorative shorts (real estate, weddings, advertising etc.). They talked about the context in which they had been asked to make the films, the connections they had made, the purposes of the projects, and some of the interesting parts of bringing it all to fruition. Because we know so many of the locations, characters and events portrayed in the films, it was amazing to see how the films had captured so eloquently what we knew about them, and communicated the essence of what we understood with such artistic professionalism. Here's an example of one of the artisan videos: https://vimeo.com/97805097 ... I think it just perfectly captures the raw, ordinary yet extraordinary life and character of the subject. It was so inspiring for us to get a window into the process whereby the film-makers create art out of the ordinary.

Today is the Garlic Festival. Our village of 600 swells to about 6000+. Naturally we're volunteering, but we'll also take a couple of hours out to enjoy the vendors, artisans and entertainers. This next week dance classes start, and we'll take our first foray into "living in two places," spending two of our overnights at the house in Nelson. Dd15 hasn't started school yet, and there's no sign of the strike ending, so she's getting frustrated by having the beginning of her big adventure in semi-independent living set back. She's working occasional café shifts, babysitting on the side, practicing violin and helping out around the house, but would rather be elsewhere.

Miranda

#19 of 74 Old 09-07-2014, 10:50 AM

Miranda--that sounds like a fun running event. My kids are 4 and 6. They do not train with me for the long races. We walk 3 miles to the farmers market every Sunday and they tend to do one day a week of running laps around the parking lot with me (I do 3-4 miles and they do 1-2 miles). The two days of long running practice I go alone. My 6 year old can do 4-6 mile hikes as long as I'm willing to go at her speed. My 4 year old just lacks stamina and it is fascinating to see. My oldest could walk 3 miles without stopping by 3. My youngest *cannot* walk 3 miles by 4. Not at all. She has to be carried at least a mile.

I started running after I had kids because I'm trying to keep up with them. They wear me out.

The biking is new for all of us this summer. We've been practicing in our neighborhood. We can go 4ish miles with each of us on our own bikes and I got a trailer so we can do in-town errands and we are up to about 8 miles on it. Lots of new learning. We've been going out 1-2 days a week.

Swimming is usually a once a week 30 minute activity. This summer was overwhelming.

So I suppose that in the "off season" my kids are used to exercising with me 2-3 days a week, 1 day of swimming, and 1 day of running hard at the park with friends. This summer was hard for all of us. We are worn out. But we learned a lot of skills!

rumi--I deeply admire people who have a handle on their anger. I have a lot of issues managing my ambient anger. I'm not the best example ever. I try to do my best to very consciously model the right way to handle losing your temper... every time I do it. I apologize. I clarify which parts of my anger were probably justified and which parts I was over reacting to. "It truly isn't ok to scream right in my face. I'm sorry I pushed you away from me. It was an unconscious reaction and I didn't mean to hurt you. I'm sorry. Next time can we try _____."

On one hand I feel pathetic because we have so many issues to work through together. On the other hand, what else would we do with our time. Ha.

SweetSilver--oh man. I always avoided Eliot when I was teaching English. He's not a favorite of mine. I'm more of a Sexton or a Rich fan. I like the Romantics. But I'm all emo and $h!t.

I loved teaching poetry units. I always did it right after a grammar unit on purpose. I would bust out the Bukowski and my FAVORITE local poet Daphne Gottlieb.
I always started with Watch Your Tense and Case (because grammar). People would start groaning and whining the minute I used the word poetry and I said, "Seriously... give it a chance. Like this lovely little poem..." The mouths would drop in shock. Then all of a sudden we had an intense and wonderful poetry section because they discovered not all poetry is pastoral or old or boring. I loved using Tupac. He was a powerful writer.

I interviewed Ms. Gottlieb up in San Francisco and brought it in for my kids to watch. They were always surprised that poetry isn't dead and in fact neat weirdos with dreadlocks are writing lots of it *right now*.

I seriously miss teaching. My kids are going to have the weirdest education.
Nazsmum likes this.

#20 of 74 Old 09-07-2014, 07:31 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
LOVE Daphne Gottlieb's work! "Why Things Burn" was a book that shook me to my core.
How cool that you interviewed her!

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#21 of 74 Old 09-08-2014, 05:15 AM

Wow, hadn't heard of Diane Gottlieb till now. She sure packs a punch in her poetry.

Garlic Festival???? wow! Sounds like something I should be attending. (But, like the Rainbow Festival, it is likely to remain indefinitely on my wish list)

Quote:
I'll be interested to hear more about your experience with this as it's definitely a book on our wish list. I'm teetering on the brink of ordering it (though it'll probably cost us the better part of a hundred bucks by the time I pay shipping to Canada plus taxes and brokerage).
I have had this same problem with things I wanted to order from Canada. Unfortunately I am nowhere near Canada or I'd just try to find a friend across the border, order everything at once and collect in person. Moominmamma - If your travels bring you close to Maryland in the next couple of months, I could help you out.

#22 of 74 Old 09-08-2014, 07:05 AM

Well... I happen to be planning a cross country road trip next year. I am probably going to hit parts of southern Canada and we will definitely drive through Maryland. We are going to visit home schooling friends who moved from California to New Hampshire. If I can hook a mama up, I'm totally up for that.

We live near Gilroy California, which has a huge garlic festival every year. You can smell it many miles away.

#23 of 74 Old 09-08-2014, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightkindofme View Post
Well... I happen to be planning a cross country road trip next year.
Got it figured: I wait until next year, order the Art of Problem Solving book to be delivered to Rumi in Maryland, and then you visit her, pick up the book, and drive west again, completing your cross-country trip with a diversion into the mountains in BC, Canada, delivering the book to me before driving four days south again.

Seriously, though, sounds like an awesome experience, travelling with the kids across the country. We haven't done any serious road trips in more than a decade, but we did a trip to the Yukon around summer solstice when my older three were 2, 4 and 7, and it was magical.

Miranda

#24 of 74 Old 09-08-2014, 08:47 AM

Yeah, it would have to be shipped to me first. We are going through BC. Storm Bride (who I don't think hangs out on MDC any more) is in Vancouver and I really want to see her. We are thinking possibly a stop in Kamloops then Glacier National Park. Mid-July.

I'm nervous about the trip but we want to go for a full year when the kids are a bit older. This is kind of a test run.

#25 of 74 Old 09-08-2014, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter

That sounds cheaper than paying shipping!

I drove through Gilroy in August one year. Such a delicious smell wafting everywhere. Rolled down the car window and inhaled it all. Much like I did driving through the old orange groves east of Ventura. Funny that garlic would cause the same sensual reaction that orange blossoms do!

#26 of 74 Old 09-08-2014, 12:56 PM

This calls for a Rainbow Gathering … Maryland 2015?
SweetSilver likes this.

#27 of 74 Old 09-08-2014, 01:36 PM

We will be going through Maryland in late August. After the Michigan Womyns Music Festival.

#28 of 74 Old 09-08-2014, 02:09 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Im still here. DS is not much of an 'unschooler' these days as he is in his second semester of community college and still claims to be 'bored'. We do hang out with the homeschool group for art club and a few field trips. DS turned 14 last week and got a new gaming system and a few games to go with it.
Summer is still hanging around, probably for the next 6-8 weeks. We had one heck of a monsoon storm last night. Summer was spent with swim team, OT for writing and our last session is this week and staying cool here. We had a short vacation up north for the weekend.

No grand plans for the 'fall' as its still hot here and really summer like until halloween or later. Swim team continues year round.
Kiddo is in the highest level of art club and loves that too.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#29 of 74 Old 09-08-2014, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra15 View Post
Im still here. DS is not much of an 'unschooler' these days as he is in his second semester of community college and still claims to be 'bored'.
That's too bad. Is he in CC full-time? Is there any chance of taking placement tests and testing up a level, at least in the subjects that would give him more appropriate academic challenge? I thought community colleges were usually better about appropriately placing advanced kids than high schools.

That's nice that he's able to keep up his social connections in the homeschool community.

We've never owned a gaming system, but ds17 just started university and his college library has a gaming room attached, just full of gaming systems and games. The purpose isn't entertainment: it's research. His major spans arts and technology, and his campus has a huge faculty that straddles digital design and communications ... with areas of study covering game design and all the rest ... so the gaming room actually serves a legitimate research purpose. Blows my mind!

Miranda

#30 of 74 Old 09-10-2014, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moominmamma View Post
Got it figured: I wait until next year, order the Art of Problem Solving book to be delivered to Rumi in Maryland, and then you visit her, pick up the book, and drive west again, completing your cross-country trip with a diversion into the mountains in BC, Canada, delivering the book to me before driving four days south again.
Yay! I found the book on Amazon marketplace, so we won't have to go this route after all . It should sneak into the country with a declared value under the cutoff value for tax and brokerage, so it'll be less than half the price it would have cost from the manufacturer.

Miranda

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page