What should I do - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 1 Old 09-04-2014, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What should I do

OK. Well here's my story

15 yrs old, I live in Canada. I'm Maltese and i'm homesick for my little island in the med. I hate Canada and its cold winters, grey and generally cool summers (basically like Maltese winters!) , and worst of all, I hate school and all it stands for. Any kids I have will be unschooled without an ounce of doubt. I wish I was unschooled.

Anyway. I don't know what to do. I'm faced with near constant academic pressure from my parents, checking my notes every day, making me study, when I don't care about any of it. I'd rather just sit back and smoke weed for the next 3 years til I can get on a plane home.

I can't even opt out of the time i'm forced to spend on "learning" when i'm away from the "learning" aka torture environment. Because if I don't do the homework, I don't get the bloody checkmark, and then if I miss 3 checkmarks I get a call home. I'm basically being threatened with retribution if I don't do the work. Which is entirely against unschooling and peaceful parenting.

And don't start me on the standardised testing! Every single day so far this school year, in all of my classes there has been a mention of the big ontario secondary school literacy test coming up in April, and we've had to do some sort of preparation exercise. You need to pass this test to graduate high school in Ontario. Its a standardised test used by the government to perpetuate how good Ontario's schools are, when in reality they are a pile of shit. So of no benefit to me, only benefit to the "teachers" and the government.

So, what do I do? I'd love to go through university and become an I.T. professional, but that would involve proving the system right and going through it properly. If I was unschooled, I could go to community college, then be in uni before any of my "educated" peers even graduate. The school system is just so stupid to me. 14 years of my life i will never ever get back

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page