torn about unschooling - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 32 Old 05-31-2004, 10:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Happiness despite misery is a great victory, I think...

caffix.gifSingle coffee loving and making mom to fencing.gifds, age 12, hamster.jpg dd, age 10, dog2.gif dd, age 7, flowerkitty.giftigress, cat.gifquinn, hyena.gifblack cat, and wool.gif beatrice the spider. Yeeehawww!!!

#2 of 32 Old 06-02-2004, 02:11 AM

WHAT!!!! tell us!
#3 of 32 Old 06-02-2004, 03:32 AM

inquiring minds (who can't spell) want to know :
#4 of 32 Old 06-02-2004, 04:44 PM

wow, 108 looks LOL, what a curious bunch we are

(((HUG))) ask away hazeldust, there are several unschooling mamas here that would be happy to help answer any fears or worries
#5 of 32 Old 06-05-2004, 12:37 AM

: C'mon, don't leave us hangin!

Amy - Blessed wife to Jesse (the best dad in the world), mother of 10 on earth plus 8 in heaven.   PROUD to be a Catholic! : winner.jpg familybed2.gifhomeschool.gif

#6 of 32 Old 06-05-2004, 01:03 AM

Maybe someone else should post something regarding unschooling that they feel torn about. It might answer the OP's question, and satisfy everyone's curiosity! :LOL
#7 of 32 Old 06-05-2004, 01:07 AM

OK, I'm torn b/c I love buying curriculum and I'm a control freak. Sometimes I feel like I want to unschool and other times I feel like I want desks lined up and a big chalkboard at the front of the room.

Amy - Blessed wife to Jesse (the best dad in the world), mother of 10 on earth plus 8 in heaven.   PROUD to be a Catholic! : winner.jpg familybed2.gifhomeschool.gif

#8 of 32 Old 06-05-2004, 02:21 AM
mse

Ok what is "unschooling" does it refer to a specific school of thought or tech. like home schooling?

tried to spike babies hair into mohawk today.....
what else should I do while breastfeeding?

feeling random
mse
#9 of 32 Old 06-05-2004, 04:29 PM

unschooling.com

Check out John Holt

dd wants to add: : :bf : :bf :girlpin :binky
#10 of 32 Old 06-05-2004, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekblad7
OK, I'm torn b/c I love buying curriculum and I'm a control freak. Sometimes I feel like I want to unschool and other times I feel like I want desks lined up and a big chalkboard at the front of the room.
:LOL Me too! I have so many workbooks...
#11 of 32 Old 06-05-2004, 06:11 PM

229 looks and gaining in momentum
#12 of 32 Old 06-05-2004, 07:36 PM

about 10 of those looks are mine--I keep checking back, thinking the op has asked her question, but it's just all you nosey people. :LOL

Single Mom to 3 (12, 17 & 21)  luxlove.gif and dog2.gif.

#13 of 32 Old 06-05-2004, 07:52 PM

Some of those looks are mine because I don't remember having seen the thread before, so I look and then say, "Oh, THAT one!"

A couple of months ago I posted that I was somewhat upset about unschooling vs curriculum, but I feel much better (*not* torn) now.

Several things happened: Life went on and I got more comfortable and found we could use the materials I had gotten and still be unschoolish in our style.

Also very important to me, HEM (Home Education Magazine) in all its email lists has stopped differentiating between homeschooling and unschooling, as a way to promote the reunification of the homeschooling community which has become very fractured. Some unschoolers were feeling they were a culture unto themselves and not part of the homeschooling community. This in turn has allowed more diversity on the lists, and support for people simply not schooling.

:-) Diane
#14 of 32 Old 06-05-2004, 10:29 PM
mse

Thanks for the education..
Mse
#15 of 32 Old 06-05-2004, 10:39 PM

Ok, I'm torn about unschool cuz I'm afraid that my son won't know what he *needs* to know. Math mostly.

What would you advise to counter this fear?
#16 of 32 Old 06-05-2004, 10:40 PM

oops
#17 of 32 Old 06-06-2004, 01:05 AM

We have several ages of unschooler's here in our co-housing community - did you have specific questions?

We homeschool, but I can ask for you

Maya
#18 of 32 Old 06-06-2004, 01:07 AM

I wanna know what she's torn about,lol.

~Rose~ 

Homeschooling Mom to Two Boys, 13 & 9. rainbow1284.gif Baby Girl Arriving April 2013!

#19 of 32 Old 06-06-2004, 01:19 AM
Dar

Quote:
Originally Posted by K&JsMaMa
Ok, I'm torn about unschool cuz I'm afraid that my son won't know what he *needs* to know. Math mostly.

What would you advise to counter this fear?
You can read "Summerhil"... Neill has a whole bit about a group of maybe 10-14 year old kids who had never studied math and came to him asking for a course. He agreed, on condition that they attend regularly, not goof off, and do the assigned homework, otherwise he wasn't going to waste his time. AIR, it took 6 weeks for them all to master K-8 mathematics, going to class twice a week.

Dar

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

#20 of 32 Old 06-06-2004, 01:25 AM

me too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane in KY
Some of those looks are mine because I don't remember having seen the thread before, so I look and then say, "Oh, THAT one!"
#21 of 32 Old 06-06-2004, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dar
You can read "Summerhil"... Neill has a whole bit about a group of maybe 10-14 year old kids who had never studied math and came to him asking for a course. He agreed, on condition that they attend regularly, not goof off, and do the assigned homework, otherwise he wasn't going to waste his time. AIR, it took 6 weeks for them all to master K-8 mathematics, going to class twice a week.

Dar

Yeah, this is what my gut tells me. When they are ready to learn the stuff, they learn it in a snap.
#22 of 32 Old 06-06-2004, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Yeah, this is what my gut tells me. When they are ready to learn the stuff, they learn it in a snap.
Yep, they do. I've seen it play out too many times in my own kids, despite tossing workbooks at them. Besides, how else to explain all the things they know that I *didn't* teach them?
#23 of 32 Old 06-06-2004, 03:45 PM

This reminds me of the opera experience from heck! I took my kids to see "The Magic Flute" it was a stressful experience and we left before it was over. I cried thinking they would hate opera and never want to go again. So, a few days later they found our Magic Flute CD and started "playing" it. Even the boys! They play Magic Flute almost everyday now. I guess it doesn't have to be perfect. They just have to be exposed to it!

#24 of 32 Old 06-06-2004, 05:17 PM

As for the math question - It really depends whose definition of unschooling you are following (one of the major problems with the term). For some you would wait until the child approached you as the previous person wrote, for some you work with the child in life - and there is math everywhere - trust me - from groceries to laying tile, for some they introduce topics and see where their child takes it from their. Others who call themselves unschoolers even follow a curriculum (which based on my understanding of the term would be outside the relm of unschooling but if it is what works for them then that is great NOT the definition of it).

What ever works is the right way - I think
#25 of 32 Old 06-06-2004, 06:43 PM
Dar

I think it's a misunderstanding of unschooling to think that unschoolers have to wait until their children specifically ask to be taught something. I don't know any unschoolers IRL who work like that, anyway. Deciding that my child is at an age when she should be learning about fractions so I'l start pointing out fractions in our everyday life isn't within my definition of unschooling, either. I think one of the most important things about unschooling, often overlooked, is that it's often a give and take, an interaction.

I point out patterns that interest me, games or mathematical oddities, or quicker ways to do calculations that Rain is working on - things that catch my interest or that I think might interest her. Sometimes she's interested, sometimes she isn't. If she is, we might go further, pull out paper and pencil, or just talk. If not, that's okay, too. The point isn't to introduce her to fractions, it's to share a piece of the world that I found interesting or useful.

Dar

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

#26 of 32 Old 06-06-2004, 10:00 PM

Dar - Can you homeschool my kids for me?

#27 of 32 Old 06-06-2004, 11:39 PM
Dar

Oh, man. Today I was ready to send mine to anyone who would take her, including our local public school...

I don't deal well with snotty. I'm hoping it's a short-term thing. Cross your fingers for me...

Dar

#28 of 32 Old 06-07-2004, 12:05 AM

how old is s/he Dar? What did the darling say?
#29 of 32 Old 06-07-2004, 04:32 PM
Dar

She's 11. And it's not so much what she says, it's the way she says it - the "fine!" or "Well I wish you had told me that before!"... and I'm feeling a bit put-upon with all of her on-stage obligations lately, and would like a little appreciation and consideration... and I don't feel like I'm getting any.

I'm sure it will blow over... well, almost sure.

Dar

#30 of 32 Old 06-07-2004, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter

i dont really have a specific question, i guess im just scared that i wont do a good job. i have a lot of trouble having faith in my abilities which is weird because i think of my self as an optimist, though i am learning that things are not always what they seem, just because i think of something one way doesnt mean that is the waay it is...but back to the issue at hand... basically, we were going to send gaby to the montessi charter school, but i am so much more drawn to waldorf style of schooling. i mean ideally, that is what i want for my kids, so the registration for montessori has come and gone and we are decided. the problem that i see with waldorf is that my kids have already been exposed to so much that is not waldorf(tv for instance, pop culture) that im not really sure how to bring into our lives
i just feel like our life right now is not very child centered, we do not have a routine , not one that we are satisfied with, and i dont know what to do next. plus their father and i are separated which could make things so complicated. (right now i only work one day a week outside of the home, but i will need something more before long) sometimes there is a great gap between what i want to do and i feel i am capable of. so maybe i just need some encouragement or some advice as to where to start when it comes to beginning to unschool. i have read john holt and love his books. oh and i really need some patience, anybody know where i could find some?

Happiness despite misery is a great victory, I think...

caffix.gifSingle coffee loving and making mom to fencing.gifds, age 12, hamster.jpg dd, age 10, dog2.gif dd, age 7, flowerkitty.giftigress, cat.gifquinn, hyena.gifblack cat, and wool.gif beatrice the spider. Yeeehawww!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page