January 2017 Unschooling Thread - Mothering Forums

10Likes

#1 of 48 Old 01-01-2017, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
January 2017 Unschooling Thread

It's a new month and a new year. What's new for you and yours? What's old? What's changing? What's staying the same?

Anything goes! Post it here.

Miranda

Mountain mama to one great kid and three great grown-ups
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 48 Old 01-01-2017, 11:10 AM

Mentioned: 143 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
This year is going to be about Harry Potter. We are in the middle of the first book. We are loving it.

I am hoping for a break in the next week. I have been running around so much.
#3 of 48 Old 01-01-2017, 11:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Have fun with Harry Potter, Nazmum!

dd has been immersed in Greek mythology lately. Sparked by the Percy Jackson series. We moved so much in my childhood that I never studied Greek mythology in school and I told her this. So she has been telling me the stories one by one. When she tells me at night I tend to fall asleep. So she tells me again and again - she doesn't mind.

She is making up stories with the characters as well - fan fiction, I guess that is called.

as for me, I am on a quest to popularize the biographies that I am finding in the picture book section of the library. SO many of my friends with little ones say that they don't know what to give them to read once they have finished everything at their age-level and want to avoid the mature content of whatever is the next level that they consider too mature - I know because I went through exactly the same thing. But just today dd and I read The Boy Who Loved Math - the Improbably Life of Paul Erdos and there is so much there for all ages. We got at least a dozen more and we are going through them.
Nazsmum likes this.

#4 of 48 Old 01-01-2017, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter

Having spent time with my three older kids over the holidays, I'm feeling really good about where they're at. They are really happy with their post-secondary programs, they are feeling optimistic and comfortable with their career options, they have friends and are happy with their living arrangements, are challenged and also excelling with their educational programs. It's exciting to have all three of them in good places.

Fiona is doing well but not surprisingly is experiencing more growing pains. She's growing and changing more than the older kids since she is only 13, and experiencing the biggest lifestyle change of all of them I think, even more so than Sophie who has moved away and started college this year. Going from unschooling to a challenging bunch of Grade 11 courses at a mainstream high school, whilst living away from her dad and our home-sweet-home-in-the-forest most of the time, things which are very comforting and grounding for her, it has all been a huge shift.

I've mentioned the insomnia she has been coping with. I have never been troubled by insomnia so although I have a fair bit of clinical knowledge about healthy sleep hygiene, it is hard for me to really get into her head psychologically. What feeds her insomnia is anxiety about not having enough time left for restorative sleep... if she spends half an hour in bed and isn't feeling sleepy, if it's the night before school she will start to get panicky about not being able to get enough sleep before her alarm goes off, which of course makes her wider and wider awake. Me, my attitude to not feeling sleepy is "whatever ... I can deal with all-nighters, so no matter what happens, I'll manage." I wish I could get Fiona to that place, but it's probably more a matter of temperament than knowledge.

In the next couple of weeks we'll be moving her into the new almost-completed bedroom at the HouseInTown, and I think we'll take that opportunity to address a couple of issues in the sleep hygiene department. For instance, her evening use of bright lighting and her tendency to use her bed not only for sleep but for other stuff (doing homework, watching Netflix, etc.). We can do some creative things to make dim lighting work in the new space, and hopefully we can establish a separate area, or at least a nook of some sort, where she can do homework and be on her computer. I think she'll be on board with this, especially if it's part of a new-bedroom-design project. Once we have the common part of the house free of renovation mess and the daytime intrusion of contractors (i.e. soon!) we can work on making that area more welcoming and better organized for non-sleep activities as well.

Today is our last day at home. Tomorrow we head to the HouseInTown, which is the jumping-off point for getting Sophie and Noah and Sophie's Guy off to the airport for their flight back to the coast. Fiona starts school the next day, and the day after that I run Erin to the Spokane airport for her return to Boston (and make a three-hour side-trip to pick up some extra bathroom tiles since we're two short ).

So I guess it's time to un-decorate the Christmas tree and hopefully squeeze in a last 15 km ski on my favourite trail that starts in the ghost town near us.

Happy New Year, all!

Miranda

#5 of 48 Old 01-01-2017, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazsmum View Post
This year is going to be about Harry Potter. We are in the middle of the first book. We are loving it.
That was the second novel that my eldest read independently (after Little House on the Prairie). Only the first two in the series had been released (Prisoner of Azkaban came out in hardcover just before we were ready for it). From that point forth, our family life was anchored around Harry Potter releases, as much as other families might anchor significant memories around particular vacations or birthdays. It was the fifth book we were reading when Erin broke her arm. Remember when lightning struck the utility pole next to our house and blew the transformer? Yeah, we were reading the end of Chamber of Secrets at the time, so it must have been the spring of 1999. Remember when we got the sixth book and even though we'd promised the first read would be a communal readaloud, Erin and Noah kept sneaking out into the forest with it to read ahead... Do you remember what year Rumi was here as an exchange student? Well, we took her to see the fourth Harry Potter movie at the theatre so it must have been 2005.

So many memories!

Enjoy!

Miranda
divani, Nazsmum, katelove and 1 others like this.

#6 of 48 Old 01-02-2017, 12:37 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
I get Lela today because her school hasn't started yet and all of the grownups are working. But I win because I'm working the least, maybe three hours. She has been entertaining herself: cleaning the floor, playing with dogs, eating chocolate.

Yana is still in Maine for a few days; she caught up with me this morning for an ipod chat at a coffee shop. Her tracfone disappeared on the plane or the bus on the last part of her journey there. Her sister is trying to make her do all kinds of stuff, go for walks, see the sights, but all she wants to do is sleep and go out for coffee and chill out. (This seems reasonable to me, especially from the point of view of someone (me) whose vacations usually include some significant amount of work!)

Son is trying to expand his work options with freelancing. Zela will graduate in the spring and plans to spend a summer being a Friends Camp counselor again, and wants Lela to go to one of the sessions. Yana is tentatively planning on music (voice & possibly piano) and a dog obedience certification course (I think). Husband will be taking a project management course, in order to keep his options open because of the sociopathic superintendent. (He was offered a motion control gig in Germany for a biggish telescope but although it's an enticing prospect, we are rooted here, and will be until the day we look out the window and see a drilling rig in the valley, I guess.) I'm very gradually expanding my violin studio (3 more students to start this month) and hope to do more Music with Friends type stuff this year. And to dust off my bow rehearing project, if only to be able to play with bows that haven't been rehaired in a decade or more!

Deborah

below: Zela & Yana nestled together on Yana's first night in Maine after the radiators were turned off for the night, and Yana at coffee shot. Zela's hair isn't really that color (usually); it's lit by the computer screen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-12-25 at 8.54.31 PM.png
Views:	165
Size:	434.1 KB
ID:	48234  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-01-02 at 12.21.44 PM.png
Views:	159
Size:	383.3 KB
ID:	48242  

#7 of 48 Old 01-02-2017, 02:08 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Spend more time with the kids
Move house
Gardening

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DS,DS,DD,DD,DD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
,DD,DS

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
#8 of 48 Old 01-02-2017, 02:34 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Enjoying a little quiet after a day and a half of straight kid parties. My youngest turned 6 on New Year's day. We had kid ski day, a sleepover party for her that involved going to the town fireworks show, and then all the kids progressed to the party of the other New Year's birthday boy up the street who just turned 7.

And when all that was over she picked up one of her birthday present books, curled up happily on the couch, and read it to herself! Granted, it was a super easy comic book, but it's the first time either one of my kids has done such a thing, and it made me happy to see it. She is now officially a better reader than her almost 8yo brother.

New in the coming year: International Travel! I've done lots of wilderness expeditions, but haven't left the country since the kids were born other than driving through Canada once (sorry Canadians, but we don't always count that, since it's kind of on the way to the rest of the country). We're going to Mexico for a month in February with my mother, then to S. America in the fall, probably Bolivia and Peru, and hoping to stay for 9 months or so.
#9 of 48 Old 01-02-2017, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckittre View Post
We're going to Mexico for a month in February with my mother, then to S. America in the fall, probably Bolivia and Peru, and hoping to stay for 9 months or so.
Very exciting! I hope you'll be able to check in once in a while and keep us updated! The kids are at great ages for this sort of trip.

Miranda

#10 of 48 Old 01-02-2017, 05:23 PM

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Tomorrow begins Winter quarter. This quarter I'm leaving the girls home. I have two classes on campus rather than one (the other is online) but I leave earlier than I did last quarter. Since xh is a gardener and leaving later in the morning, we can finagle our timing so the girls are only home alone for two hours. Wednesdays is a long day for me (lab and all) so he's staying home on that day rather than the usual Tuesday. Unfortunately, unless he also takes the girls to gym that day, I have no evenings alone this quarter. Hm. Well, I'm not feeling as desperate for them, either.

We'll see how it goes. The girls need to do 1. a chore (keeping it small to start) and 2. "school"work. They can define that, but it can't be gymnastics, and it can't be fair-related stuff they do all the time. Otherwise, I'm open. We'll see if they don't kill each other. I think they do better without me, to be honest.

Excited for my Chemistry class. I also have statistics and environmental science. HAPPY to be heading back to school. I still have a 4.0, but we'll see. A friend says I need to get a 3.7 and just get it over with, and I think she's right.

XH and I are still chugging along coparenting in the same house, but it's closing in on time for me to move. There is a nice yurt on our little road that I've spoken with the owner about renting, and it sounds promising. Logistically, it would be perfect, and I would get to stay on this hill, with my fabulous walks and the forest. I'll be ready to leave eventually, but for now this is home. By the end of the year, I'm hoping to be moved out or have a firm date.

Happy New Year! I'll try to keep up with this thread better this month.

"She is a mermaid, but approach her with caution. Her mind swims at a depth most would drown in."
#11 of 48 Old 01-02-2017, 05:28 PM

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Im hoping to move away from 'unschooling' with kid this year and get more toward 'adult' functioning. He is going to call campus tomorrow (tuesday) and see what is involved with applying and interviewing for the math tutor jobs in the math center. He is more than qualified however; being 16 might be a hurdle. This is all 'real life skills' he will need much earlier than peers. He will need to explain 'homeschool to early enrollment to graduation' and how that means no real job experience but qualified and yeah I'm 16 but look about 14...

I'm leaving the driving up to him with the expectation that he is fully licensed by the time he is 17. He is aware of the 6 month time frame to get a license and the pathway to get that license. He has the permit and now needs the classes and supervised hours etc. Again this all ties into the graduation and transfer to the 4 yr university which I am NOT driving to. And also leads to his very real need to find some sort of income. (on campus or otherwise).

Uber is always an option but not something he can rely on 100% of the time. There is not useable public transportation where I live. (suburbs of major city).

I am turning more of the finances over to kid as well. Giving a bit of a larger allowance but making him responsible for lunch on campus or packing his lunch/snacks etc. He will be responsible for 'things' this year as well. He is also on board with our 'no buy' for the most part. I am not unwilling to give gifts for occasions such as easter, valentines, birthday, halloween etc. I love excuses for presents but they will be scaled down and could be viewed as 'practical' this year. (possibly money toward a video game instead of the entire cost of the game).

I am thinking about transferring the billing of his cellphone to his bank account as well. I think he can manage this. I would - of course- increase his allowance to cover this expense for now, until he has reliable employment. The cost is only $30/month but this would be another step toward 'adult'.

I guess this is a transition year. Transitioning from the 2 yr college to the 4 yr college and transitioning from the last year of 'kid' to the year of 'adult'. All we can do is try and see what happens.

Mom to J and never ending 

2017 the year of peace and tranquility.
#12 of 48 Old 01-02-2017, 09:42 PM - Thread Starter

SweetSilver, the yurt sounds like it would be perfect! Glad to hear you're finding ways to work your own schooling in and also taking the opportunity to let the girls stretch their wings a bit. I imagine that being out in an adult environment (without having the girls alone) might take away some of the need for an evening alone.

Zebra15, written down that sounds like a lot of new responsibilities for your ds! Then again when I think back on it a couple of my kids had at least that much piled on them all of a sudden (eldest, who moved across the country on her own at 16, and middle dd, who moved to a shared apartment in town at 15). Is your ds comfortable with independent-living stuff like shopping, cleaning, meal prep, budgeting, etc.? Or maybe is he going to keep living at home?

My younger two girls have both done some "peer tutoring" during high school of people 2+ years older than them (not paid: it's all voluntary at their school). I was surprised that they seemed so readily accepted by the tutoring centre and by the students they were tutoring at their ages but they seemed to do well with it. Sophie eventually took a one-semester TA position (also unpaid), which involved assisting with a PreCalc 12 class, and for which she got a Leadership (academic) credit, and it also acted as a major bonus on her university application. Fiona has been tutoring a 15- and a 17-year-old in chemistry and math all this past semester. They're both exchange students (Mexican and German) who are extra-stretched by having to do academics in English; perhaps they view it more as getting help with the ESL aspects, which of course a 13-year-old anglophone is more capable of etc. Anyway, it seems fine, and she likes doing it.

Good luck to your ds with the enquiries and interviews!

Miranda

#13 of 48 Old 01-03-2017, 05:10 PM

Miranda- I agree in a list format those do seem like many things all at once for a kid to handle but spread out over the course of 6-8 months its very manageable. Especially for a kid who needs to begin to integrate the skills together. (banking with a possible job/ driving with a new campus).

Today I called about the driving school and spoke with a very patient lady. I'm sure she gets parents with the same questions several times a day. The best approach is to wait until month 5 of the learners permit then take the 8 hours of supervised driving and the school sponsored road test. The school will give a certificate wavier which bypasses the DMV test and allows the kid to turn the paper into the DMV clerk for an immediate license at 6 mos after the permit date. This is the information I needed. Kid will register for driving classes in April or May 2017.( possibly and ideally on the couple week break between spring and summer semesters).

I also took an hour, showed kid how to set up a bank ID, how to work the bank on the computer, download the APP for the bank, all the ins and outs of the bank website etc. Kid has been banking for almost a decade but I've been monitoring the accounts. Now, with the potential of a job and the need for a job. He needs to see the banking app, know how to contact the bank, know how to transfer money, how to access numbers for direct deposit and monitor things. Of course everything is still tied to my accounts should chaos happen but I feel better that he knows how to access things. I also let him 'deposit a check' that was left over from xmas. We have deposit at home and this is a critical skill to have IMO. He also set up the phone system. I think we made good progress.

Tomorrow is the walk-in interview.

#14 of 48 Old 01-03-2017, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSilver View Post
There is a nice yurt on our little road that I've spoken with the owner about renting, and it sounds promising.
I've lived in a yurt for 8 years now, and I love it.
SweetSilver likes this.
#15 of 48 Old 01-07-2017, 06:15 AM

Yesterday was one of the days that I am so happy that I unschool! We went to a soup signing. The Soup Nazi (actor Larry Thomas) from Seinfeld was at a local store signing soups. I have a tee-shirt that I have all different signatures. So, we all got out in the middle of the day to a meet and greet. What great fun.
#16 of 48 Old 01-07-2017, 07:20 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazsmum View Post
Yesterday was one of the days that I am so happy that I unschool! We went to a soup signing. The Soup Nazi (actor Larry Thomas) from Seinfeld was at a local store signing soups. I have a tee-shirt that I have all different signatures. So, we all got out in the middle of the day to a meet and greet. What great fun.
what is a soup signing?
#17 of 48 Old 01-07-2017, 07:57 AM

The Soup Nazi on Seinfeld is based on a real soup guy. His soup is The Original SoupMan www.originalsoupman.com. The actor that played him on the show goes around to demos for the soup. He signs the soup box & and anything else that you might want.

We did buy a box of Chicken soup. He signed the box. We had a lot of fun with the people and meeting the family of the real soup guy.
#18 of 48 Old 01-08-2017, 10:00 AM

Sick. Everyone's feeling drab and crabby. I'm off to work, partly to get away from being on duty. I can't afford to be sick. Don't have time for it. Not allowed. I keep telling myself that, and after a small dose of Tylenol the aches have subsided and I'm going to pretend to be normal, but not do so much. Lazing about this morning, going into work late. Funny, it makes me realize just how much I do when I suddenly don't have the energy to do it all.

My quarter is starting out lightly. I don't think this is going to be as heavy a course load as I thought. All the math work is done in class so far. Env Science is rather slender so far. Chemistry promises to be more intense, but so far, well, I'm not complaining or anything.

I could fill the spare time with necessary things, like taxes and divorce papers, but I'm winding up using it to read a real book and do my yoga and walks and some laundry.

"She is a mermaid, but approach her with caution. Her mind swims at a depth most would drown in."
#19 of 48 Old 01-08-2017, 10:02 AM

Oh, the girls had a fun 4-H meeting. I keep being grateful that we switched to this club. Cookie season is coming up, and some Girl Scout events with their troop are coming in February. Thankfully, during the depths of the most boring time of year for the girls, we have the promise of some exciting things.
Nazsmum likes this.

#20 of 48 Old 01-08-2017, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSilver View Post
Cookie season is coming up, and some Girl Scout events with their troop are coming in February. Thankfully, during the depths of the most boring time of year for the girls, we have the promise of some exciting things.
Yes, it is really helpful to us if we have some February stuff to look forward to. In our case this year it is moving into the newly renovated upstairs of our HouseInTown.

Get well soon, all of you!

Miranda

#21 of 48 Old 01-08-2017, 05:21 PM

2017 is the year of SICK. Bronchitis, sinus infections, trips to the urgent care and ER. Kid is down hard this weekend. He was at the urgent care and ER in the span on 12 hrs. Asthma is not friendly to him. Hopefully he is on the mend but gosh, he does need this extra week to recover before his classes start.
He does have an interview sometime for the math tutoring job but that will need to wait a couple days.

I started back with my online course this week. The course is 'group counseling' and requires online meetings for 2hrs a week. Of course this means DRAMA with all capital letters. There are adults who just can.not. function for a number of reasons. One person has to be the 'leader' and dictator. Ugh. only 6 weeks left. I am making my peace with it and providing my feedback as I see fit. I am at a point in my life where I dont sugarcoat the truth.

This week is filled with appointments, papers to write and lots of yummy yarn projects to work on.

#22 of 48 Old 01-08-2017, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra15 View Post
lots of yummy yarn projects to work on.
Awesome!

I have knit my way to the bottom of my stash ... I have less than 50 grams left of anything, and even my wee balls are getting used up thanks to a couple of cool patterns made up of scraps that I keep knitting up with different combinations.

Pretty soon it will be time to stop in at the yarn store! That's a lovely treat that I've rarely indulged in the past buncha years.

We are heading back to Town a couple of hours early this week because I have to get the baseboards painted tonight for installation tomorrow morning. I am rapidly losing my enthusiasm for painting. I have been through six or seven gallons already I think, and there is plenty more to go.

Miranda

#23 of 48 Old 01-09-2017, 12:49 PM

zebra -- hope he feels better soon.

Interesting that February is the down time. I find November much worse. By February, we have enough daylight back, usually enough snow, that I think winter gets much more fun. Though this year we'll be in Mexico, so we'll get our best winter play in in March, I think.

Lots of social activities for kids this past weekend -- last one of winter break for the school kids. My daughter is a social butterfly. My son is the weird kid in the corner. It doesn't seem to bother him, but I cringe a little to see him building pattern blocks in the corner when the kids are running wild in the community center, or coloring in the hallway when everyone is watching a movie (he wanted to go, but he will almost never sit through any sort of fiction movie and very few fiction stories of any kind). I try to focus on giving them both opportunities to do outdoor activities with other kids (skating, skiing, etc...) because they'll both participate in that sort of setting, and otherwise I feel like my son gets kid time only when his best friend comes back to town during school breaks.
#24 of 48 Old 01-09-2017, 03:24 PM

47F difference between sunrise and today's high: 78F. Not common in January in this part of Texas; I have windows and doors open, collecting heat, helping the house recover from Saturday morning's 12F. (Fortunately the only dog boarding at the vet this weekend was an ancient whippet (17?) who only spends time in the kennels outside if the weather is warm.)

Yana is back from Maine; Zela is getting ready for her last semester, finally moved into her micro-apartment in a building renovated for upperclassmen. As the RA, hers is a single maybe 12 feet on a side, very efficient, but with everything included, like a washer that dries. She's been asked back to Friends Camp for next summer, with an increase in pay, and will stay an additional month to be on the staff of an art camp that's held there. She's talking about maybe getting a van that her essential stuff can go in so that she'll be portable when she graduates, so many different options at this time. She is in line for a part time studio TA type job at the school, but the extra month might make it not an option.

Yana's dogs are again spending just days at our house, while she works. She'd love to start buying a house or other property (she correctly points out that "everyone has a rent house" (in her town) now, but for us a down payment is not possible at this time. Just a few more months...and then just a few more months...and the health insurance nightmare that could unfold for us. (I'm so tired of the jackasses on Facebook who accuse me of histrionics...the Party in Power has made specific claims about what they plan to do to coverage, and I see no reason to disbelieve their evil, self serving, and self righteous intent...)

I've started, bit by bit, on a mountain of mending. Some of it is really only fit for discarding, but I'm an optimist. The worst thing in the pile is a hand knitted sweater of husband's, patterned and colored, that moths have had a field day on. I was able to fix another of his sweaters (no hit quite as badly) that was a single color...but this...if it had no sentimental value it would be in the recycling bag SO FAST...

Deborah

Last edited by transpecos; 01-09-2017 at 03:26 PM.
#25 of 48 Old 01-10-2017, 04:38 PM

Continuing to make progress on those 'adult' type things.
Kid is driving. Kid has interview tomorrow for tutoring position on campus. We are quickly learning about direct deposit, new hire paperwork, withholdings, taxes etc.
I bought him a couple button down shirts for the interview process and beyond. He looks so dang cute and YOUNG, oh so young. He is probably getting the job, the person emailed him over the weekend to make sure he could do 'tutor training' on Thursday this week. So thats why the crunch to educate about new hire processes and paperwork.

Art club started today and its odd to see him straddle so many different forms. Homeschool, college, possible working. He is a great kid.

On the way home we stopped at the grocery and he tried out his very own loyalty card and got the 'free item' of the week. Such an adult I have here. LOL.

Tomorrow after the interview we will get the 2 textbooks he needs for spring term. He can use the same calc book for the 3rd term. (thank goodness) and the computer programming class doesn't have a book. Simply books for online psych and interpersonal comm.

In the middle of all this- LEGOS.

#26 of 48 Old 01-11-2017, 04:35 PM

KIDDO GOT THE JOB, now we are navigating the maze of HR issues and having a 16yr old employed by a college as a tutor and some other issues. All should be straightened out tomorrow. Tomorrow he goes to do new hire paperwork and orientation. WTG kid!

Tomorrow we go get books for spring term. He looked so cute and dapper dressed up today: button down plaid shirt, sweater vest and tan jeans.

#27 of 48 Old 01-11-2017, 05:15 PM

@zebra15 Great news!!!
#28 of 48 Old 01-12-2017, 08:48 AM

So un-January like...going to open the house to the outside for a while until I leave for lessons in town. I haven't seen Yana for a couple of days, but her dogs are spending the days here so I know she is around! Fortunately the front slowed enough that the weekend will be moderate and the snow not until Tuesday...so far the snow scene here has been only ice, just enough to prevent me from lessons one day. Son dropped by last night to pick up stuff...I know because he shouted that he was here. So, the only face to face contact I've had with the kids was actually on facebook with Zela in Maine, as she prepared her coffee yesterday! Her birthday is in a couple of days, and my lowball offer for a knitting machine she wants, similar to the one she uses in class, was accepted by an ebay vendor, so I guess that's her Christmas/Birthday president! I hope it works...here is her (dyslexic) response to the news that it is on its way: "'Im extremely exsied!!!!" and "Did they have a remark on the funchnallty of the michibg?" (This is likely with spell check; but like google, even fb can't "get" her longer words.) The thing that is really cool is that the only thing I have to help with now, as her "editor", is spelling and punctuation...when she started in Freshman English, her sentences were tangled and fragmentary and now they are in Standard Academese. However, I wish she would forget the word "however"...

Deborah
#29 of 48 Old 01-12-2017, 05:44 PM

Back from lessons in town...my ice creepers are now attached to the bow holder on my violin case, to lend to a student who is going to some sort of cowboy poetry gathering in Elko, Nevada in a couple of weeks. (She smashed her left wrist slipping on ice there last year, putting her out of commission for months. We still have to refinger some pieces to accommodate for the injury.)

So, yep, very happy to be back in violin teaching mode. Although I don't know what to do about a six year old who has picked up a bunch of fancy violin moves, tremolo, harmonics, pizzicato...which make the Suzuki Twinkle variations seem very tame. No idea if this is a permanent situation, or just a "phase", haha. On the other hand, a student who never practiced to the point that her mom took her lessons away for a year, now practices all the time.

So, a day on the mountain, a day in town, and now three partial days at the vet. (Just because they're all grown up doesn't need that they don't need help with the bills...)

Deborah
#30 of 48 Old 01-12-2017, 08:32 PM

We've been sick, too! I've been desperate for a nap, and finally got one today-- in the back seat of my car! Silence! I closed my eyes and almost immediately lost consciousness for an hour.

Cold and we still have snow here on our hill, just a little. I've been fighting what everyone has been sidelined with because I HAVE NO TIME TO BE SICK. I'm not allowed. So I haven't, but it's been a close call all week. One nap, and I feel so much better. I'm hoping next week gets back to normal.

On a very short walk today, I ran across bobcat tracks in the snow. There are a lot of bobcats in our area, but the sneaky kitties are not easy to sight. The snow made it easy to see the track, and it was the soft divots around the paw marks that caught my attention and helped to immediately recognize it as a cat, even before I got a close look at it.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page