2Likes
  • 1 Post By healthy momma
  • 1 Post By moominmamma

#1 of 25 Old 10-02-2017, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
October 2017 Unschooling Thread

Here's the spot to check in and let everyone know what's happening in your life, get some questions answered, or start some discussion.
moominmamma likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 25 Old 10-02-2017, 05:07 PM

Mentioned: 143 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
subbing
#3 of 25 Old 10-04-2017, 01:50 AM

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Hi- kiddo is well into his first online class at the 'real' university. Oddly the facilitator called me, my phone number must be on file for him as a contact, , she was calling all the students to make sure things were ok. So I chatted with her (i have a parent release on file) and she was not aware of kiddo's age or his previous uni. experience. I brought her up to speed, then she either needed a nap or some vodka LOL. I had kid leave her a message and send her a online post as well. So far full points for kid and he is well into week 3, and completing week 5 work.

I ended my class and a new one starts on Thursday . (weeks are complicated around here as undergrad weeks run monday-monday and grad school is thurs-thursday). while i loved the material in my previous class and i feel it was probably the most important class in the programme (how to be a therapist) the facilitator was rubbish. This next class seems to have a much better facilitator but I've had this material THREE times already (life span psychology).

Kiddo and I are thinking about planning a short get away before the end of year. We usually hop over to las vegas but... that is on hold right now. We might take a couple day trips around the state (up north) and explore before the higher elevations get snow. We are still getting temps near 100.

Planning for halloween- we really dont get 'fall', like i said temps are back close to 100 again. Kid is looking for a job. Lacking motivation like any good 17yr old and realizing the asynchronous of his skills vs his age vs his education- and realizing that online uni isnt taking as much time as we had hoped for. So while he is able to work full-time he is only 17 and that also brings in some problems.

Mom to J and never ending 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2017 the year of peace and tranquility.

#4 of 25 Old 10-04-2017, 09:38 AM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Ruminating about how our family culture and Fiona's position in the family have contributed to her learning preferences and her motivation, now that she's in school.

In our family she was always very motivated to relate to her older academically-adept siblings. She found everything they did interesting and worthy of her own attention. And it was never about getting their attention; she was rarely that annoying baby sister begging to be included and paid attention to. She legitimately wanted to understand and master the things that were important to them, whether that was piano-playing, computer coding, algebra or social media.

As a teen whose older siblings are no longer around, she is still very much motivated by relationships with highly capable mentors, whether older peers or adult teachers. This means that she really thrives on major intellectual challenges, but online courses, in which she could easily challenge herself to higher levels, hold no allure for her: the relationship part of the equation is missing.

Conversely her oldest sister, who was not exposed daily to a bunch of more-capable sibling role models, needed much less of the relationship-based component to her learning at this stage. Obviously as a musician having an equally capable community of fellow musicians is crucial, but with her academic learning she has been good with just plugging away on her own.

With my middle two the ways their sibling experiences shaped them are less obvious. I think my son is a generous and sensitive teacher/mentor, perhaps in part due to having played that role with Fiona a lot. My middle dd, I don't know. She points her compass to things outside the family, and maybe that's a middle-kid-driven urge to differentiate herself from the rest of the crew.

Anyone else notice ways in which the presence or absence of particular intra-family relationships has influenced their child's learning affinities and styles?

Miranda

Mountain mama to one great kid and three great grown-ups
#5 of 25 Old 10-07-2017, 11:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthy momma View Post
Here's the spot to check in and let everyone know what's happening in your life, get some questions answered, or start some discussion.
My 12 year old daughter is well in to her 3rd school year homeschooling, using Epic Charter School, through Oklahoma public school system. She is even more independent than last year. She is taking more initiative with her assignments, making sure she gets the materials she needs (by way of her parents, of course). Her sport is golf, and homeschooling gives us that extra time to give special attention to golf.

www.jm3digitalmarketing.com

"If you have no confidence in self, you are twice defeated in the race of life". - Marcus Garvey
#6 of 25 Old 10-10-2017, 09:42 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Well, it's almost halfway through October, and judging from the number of posts, everyone is busy! I personally think we should have a re-do on September, not least of which would be returning sunrise to before 8 a.m., but...when that happens in November, it's going to be so dark that my weekend job will involve swishing out the outside dog kennels in darkness! (As a Certified Night Owl, this is by far the better option!)

Apparently my husband has some flattening of the spinal cord in the back of his neck as a result of his twisting injury six weeks ago. After several apparent re-injuries, he seems to be getting better, to the point of overdoing it on the violin again. (This morning he told me that if he is caught with his violin out again today, that I must stop him.) I turned backed the car into the driveway and turned around in the circle so he doesn't have to turn his neck driving today, and for the first time i weeks he is not being driven by me. I just came off three long days at the vet (up to 15 dogs and ten cats at one time) and tomorrow we visit the neurologist in the Big City, which could wipe out one of my two days of lessons in the next town over, which leaves one day to go to work on the mountain and back to the vet, plus a wedding gig on Saturday afternoon. So it's actually not that surprising that I feel like it's September, but NOT the one from the Fantasticks: "Try to remember the kind of September"...I would have liked that very much!

So, the house is a wreck. I have a large basket (two loads) of Yana's clothes (because of staffing shortages at work, she has worked up to 17 days in a row...laundry is the least I can do to help her), a hamper of Lilah's of which I was unaware until last night, because it was in "her" room here...she spent the weekend hanging out with husband and going through a nature book and a chemistry book (see pic below), academic brainwashing is everpresent at our house...I even lent her a violin because she forgot hers.

I just downloaded this:
https://www.forgottenbooks.com/en/re...re_10058368#52
which goes well with one of my reading projects, which features a "Cemetario de los libros olvidades" (Zafon)...

Last night a cold damp wind blew in, 40F by morning. This summer there were just a couple of days in the summer when I had to work fast to keep the dogs (at the vet) from getting overheated outside...in the winter mornings (especially the mornings) the small dogs and the short furred dogs get a walk outside and then they get to stay inside. Barking. And maybe another walk outside after the Malamutes and German Shepherds and Scotties come in...

Husband found that a Tracfone that we purchased years ago, that Son no longer uses still has 3000 minutes and service until 2022. So he bought a refurbed basic phone for ten bucks and we will join the families where everyone has a phone. (We live in this place that mostly doesn't have service, so it hasn't seemed that pressing: no service at work, no service between towns. And apparently customs can seize your phone and copy your contacts. So this seems perfect...a ten dollar phone with nothing on it. Maybe it will even be here in time for our city visit tomorrow. Son, who borrowed the car yesterday to go to the endo in the Big City, left a GPS unit attached to the windshield so that we will not have his experience of missing his exit (closed due to construction) and getting to appt 30 min late. At least he had GPS, in addition to maps mom had provided, totally useless! (I know the Big City a lot better than he does, but still...absolutely terrifying picking up husband at airport the other day, lanes all different levels, pitch dark, traffic cones everywhere, no stripes in lanes, and big truck snorting on my tail honking...turned right onto arterial rather than risk the wrest of the way to the Wretched Interstate.) The good news is that Son got along fine with the endo, who was not horrified by his inability to log his insulin etc. and has a followup appointment in two weeks, and is on track to getting the closed loop insulin pump that Minimed now sells. He has only expressed an interest in Doing What Must Be Done, medically speaking, that most people his age do not have t do, in the past couple of years...I am so relieved. Finally.)

So, anyway...just got call from Zela...it turns out that a lot of her fellow art students are taking nursing classes. She's talked about being a CDE for years (diabetes educator), I see that could be in her future. So far neither of her two nanny enquiries in SF have yielded an interview, although one had requested a telephone interview but did not follow up. At this time she is hanging out with a friend in Portland while she does the last minute stuff needed to get herself, her knitting machine, and 800 bucks worth of yarn, plus her sax, across the country for the next few months. (I got her the nonstop late night returning planes to SF for the morning flight east ticket, for $184. And she got bloodwork at her old doc's office. NOW, for HER upgrade insulin pump stuff...not yet, but soon mom can get that figured out. Maybe. Of course I did tell her that if she had come "home" (where mom and dad are) that it would have been quite easy. But. )

RE: Miranda's observation about her kids academic trajectories with regard to each other: my eldest was the only one to go to public high school and he became intensely peer bonded within a few weeks there. If we had not moved to a small town with a very close knit and supportive school for the last two years of high school, I doubt that he would have graduated. While in school there, he did invite us to a parent evening and his graduation; we had not been welcome to his orchestra concerts or any school function while in Maine. He got a degree in history with a minor in botany and has occasionally entertained plans for graduate school (in botany) but at this time he seems to be enjoying his lot as a mechanic.

Zela's path did not intersect his at all, although they are very close. She spent a couple of years in her room as a teen, working on art and connecting with online art communities, venturing out only for the music groups she played in. Then she showed her sketchbook to the art department head (waiting for a music group one day, fine arts in the same building) and was invited to take studio classes, one for each of three semesters. During that time she learned to drive, got lifesaving certification, went off to work at a summer camp and a municipal pool, and somehow got herself accepted to art college, with major accommodations for dyslexia, after all of the deadlines had passed. She graduated last spring, spent the summer as counselor as a Friends Camp (she's not a Quaker, but often goes to meeting), and is now seeking her fortune for the next six months in San Francisco. As my sisters did.

The youngest was always into the outdoors and horses and animal rescue...she bottle fed dozens of kittens for the Humane Soceity, she worked for the vet (my job now), and now she works for the Humane Society. She bought a used car at 16, got a full time job before she turned 18 (this effectively "skipping" any semblance of a senior year in high school), moved out and into a trailer in a nearby town (followed by a casita, and this month will be moving into a small house) a few weeks after she turned 18. Zela has tried to interest Yana in art (thinks she would be a good fit at her college), and I've offered her more singing lessons and choir (she was invited by prof, but has no time now)...but at this time her whole world is animal rescue.

So, other than the fact that our kids are all interesting people who all have a great more independence and competence than I did at their ages, I can't find any common threads of influence, don't think that their adults paths and interests cross that much. (When they were little, we spent most of our time together and did a lot of interesting (at least the parents thought so) things...our kids did see that there was always plenty going on and that their parents did very different things, and that some of what they did led to inter-family conflict, like my habit of rescuing cats. At this time we live with four dogs (plus Yana's two most days) and seven cats (of which four were Yena's rescue kittens, one was an adult adopted by Zela, and two were Yana's fosters) but because we are no longer living in an uninsulated dark falling apart house with stinking carpet onsite at work, we coexist very nicely. Especially because some of the cats prefer to live outside when the weather agreeable to them. (Although there are no plans to replace ALL of the cats when they pass on...)

Deborah
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-10-10 at 1.20.03 PM.png
Views:	11
Size:	505.7 KB
ID:	50999  

Last edited by transpecos; 10-10-2017 at 11:21 AM.
#7 of 25 Old 10-10-2017, 09:43 AM

^^so you can see that Yana likely was influenced by someone in her pet rescue life, but it was her MOM, not her siblings!

Deborah
#8 of 25 Old 10-10-2017, 03:43 PM

I have comments to add but brain is currently mush.

#9 of 25 Old 10-13-2017, 06:49 AM

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Quote:
Anyone else notice ways in which the presence or absence of particular intra-family relationships has influenced their child's learning affinities and styles?
@moominmamma It's still too early to say, but my 12yo likes learning with an adult. She does have motivation to learn on her own, but only if the subject is compelling, like her chickens.

My 10yo just goes. She does stuff and learns stuff in her spare time. Unlike her sister, I often have no clue what she's up to. I'm not sure if this is the way she is, or whether it was heavily influenced by the fact that she didn't receive the close, one-on-one attention her sister did. Or both, most likely.

"She is a mermaid, but approach her with caution. Her mind swims at a depth most would drown in."
#10 of 25 Old 10-16-2017, 01:28 PM

Well, halfway through October and still looking at chores that I had planned to get done by September 1! (I have a lifelong practice of giving myself these arbitrary deadlines. They don't work. But, who could have predicted THAT?

I need to do some research on car financing (having never done that, we always drive something until the wheels drop off, at which point we supposedly have saved up enough money to buy a new one, which I don't see in MY immediate future)...but the bright side of this is that I get Yana's old car when she starts buying a new one!...good, given that my Dad's old work vehicle is inoperable until it gets a new engine, which requires cash. So, because she got fed a line by the Toyota dealer (claimed the car she was interested in doesn't come with a standard transmission, which is the logical way to go given our terrain), and the internet says it does, and she has no time really...I said I'd sort that out. And because one of us has to cosign the loan and be on the title, research needed there too.

Husband and I and cellist played 2 violin plus cello trios for a wedding for the first wedding I've played since leaving Maine I think...stunning setting not far from the Chinati mountains, a resort ranch. The bride is from Texas, the groom from Togo...for the rehearsal, the couple and several members of his French speaking family wore African dress; for the wedding they were indistinguishable from the bride's family in dress. There were a couple of nice touches I hadn't seen before: for example, the tied together rings were passed from one guest to another until all had held them. The road had seemed relatively unused during the late afternoon, but by night it was busy with high speed traffic...we later thought that it was maybe the Friday night traffic for the only border crossing for miles. Because husband has been easing very gently back into practicing and hasn't yet decided on a better setup for his violin hold, and because our chamber music buddy has not only been away for a couple of weeks but also has managed to hurt both his left index finger (with a hammer) and his right arm (falling), we decided to do the same program at the state park, where we were signed up to do a string quartet before our cellist (a volunteer there) goes away for the next few months. Chamber music buddy had sort of suggested that he play second violin part on recorded, so I was relieved that husband had already decided that husband is going to not be playing many high notes for now!

So, Yana is car shopping. Son is going to the big city for another endocrinologist appointment. I haven't seen the inspection for his Honda yet; I really don't want to be stuck with the pickup that one starts with pliers for work next Monday. Husband has an MRI/MRA appointment on Friday to find out if his neck twist caused an artery tear or blood clot, and an appointment next Thursday. And I'm leaving the Monday two weeks hence to fly to Montana to help my mom drive back to Texas. So, three trips to the Big City in two weeks. Oh, well. That's one price of living away from almost everything. (Although after our wedding gig, our little dirt roaded town of 1,000 looked like a metropolis.) And looking down the road a couple of months, the plan is that I will be working at the vet 30 days in a row, as both the weekend pet attendant and the replacement for the weekday pet attendant, who is having a baby. And thinks she will be out just a month, and back to full time work. (It happens. I went back to half time work, though. And for my third kid I never missed an orchestra rehearsal, baby showed up on Wednesday, I was back on Monday. I'm told that's not usual, but, man, I had to get out of the chaos! )

So, staying home today to do a number of loads of laundry. Maybe including the white branded polo shirts that I wear to work, having worn out all of my t-shirts. Or splashed bleach on them at the vets'...

I hope all y'all's Octobers are unfolding in a good busy way, the harvest, the preparation for the stillness of winter. (Ha ha, like that ever happens!) Yesterday was our first indication that it might freeze (we've had a really warm fall for this area), under 40F this morning...those dogs did NOT want to go out for Dog Time. Wusses!

Deborah
#11 of 25 Old 10-16-2017, 04:58 PM

We are having a good Oct. pumpkin & apple picking. And we finished Harry Potter.

So far so good.
#12 of 25 Old 10-17-2017, 10:22 AM

@Nazsmum : Finishing reading all the Harry Potters for the first time is a big family milestone! Are you going to (or have you already) watched the movies?

Cassandra, wondering how the new business is going. And the trip-planning, of course!

We have been thinking about the winter holidays. Noah is working now, so he will probably only get 3-4 days off. Since getting here takes the better part of a day, we're not going to see him for long if at all. Erin has made it through to the final live audition phase for the New York String Orchestra Seminar with Jaime Laredo, and if she gets that, she won't be home at all. Only Sophie will make it back for the usual two-week inter-semester break. Dh is now the only doctor in town, meaning he is covering two practices and will be on call for the clinic, nursing home and ER 24/7. The holidays could end up feeling like a big bummer. I can't think of any way to create special family experiences within all the constraints. It's especially disappointing since we weren't able to see the big kids or otherwise get together over the summer either. Fiona is really wishing for some sibling time.

Fiona has discovered that her brain has become very mathy in the past few months. Suddenly this fall she has found confidence and excitement in formal school math. It is coming very easily to her, she has the highest grade in the school in her preCalc 12 course this semester and has a lovely relationship with her math teacher who is having her do all sorts of extra-challenge enrichment stuff. But because Fiona is only in 11th grade by placement, she isn't able to take Calculus during the second semester: that course is over-subscribed and enrolment priority is given to preCalc 12 students heading into post-secondary science study next year. Understandably ... but it's a bummer for her. It means that she will have to wait until February 2019 to do another math course, Calculus only ever being offered 2nd semester.

So we are looking outside of the school system for some sort of solution. Ideally we'd find her a mentor she could really connect with to work through material that is outside the scope of an introductory calculus course (since she'd love to take that at school with her current teacher when the time comes). But so far I haven't been able to find anyone, so I'm starting to look into online courses in the vain hope that we can find something at the right level covering the right math topics with enough of a human component to make her feel connected to other people. Add in the fact that she's not at all interested in math competitions or in banking AP credits ... it's a challenge to find anything. Pretty sure what we're looking for doesn't exist.

On a positive note the online Spanish course that she's taking is the best-designed online course than any of my kids has ever taken. It is based around Rosetta Stone, which isn't different from other online language courses offered around our province, but the supervising teacher and the various add-on features, assignments and expectations are much much better: responsive, enthusiastic, engaging, clear and actually fairly meaningful. The last set of online courses she took she heard from the teacher twice and only after me directly requesting a meeting, nothing got graded, no feedback, glaring errors on the final report card, etc.etc. So this is a pleasant surprise.

Miranda

#13 of 25 Old 10-17-2017, 05:03 PM

We are watching the movies very slowly. N is not a big movie/TV person. He can take only so much. In a way that is good. N loves to be read too.
#14 of 25 Old 10-18-2017, 07:06 PM

Moominmamma- sounds like your family is in the transitation stages of life- kids moving on, careers starting to take off, everyone with a different schedule, only one kiddo at home etc. Holidays are going to have new traditions, maybe even be celebrated at different times, or not at all. Fiona is only a year or 2 away from being off on her own- wow, such a change there too. Maybe instead of the traditional 'holiday', try something new this year? Change can be a good thing!

#15 of 25 Old 10-18-2017, 08:47 PM

We've been flexible with holidays before, celebrating early or late, making do without one or the other of the kids, celebrating on the road, taking a minimalist approach, celebrating Festivus instead of Christmas etc. What's tough this year is that it'll mean not seeing the big kids in more than a year -- not something I expected at any stage of life, but certainly not while they're still in college and financially dependent -- and the manner in which dh's current work situation leaves him (and us too, by extension) tied to a phone in a village of 600. I totally understand about the empty nest thing and I know that's coming, but I feel really badly for Fiona who is still just 14 and missing her siblings a lot, and who really wants a bit of holiday magic. I want us to be able to create a nice family holiday experience for her.

ETA: I guess my frustration is that I cannot envision what new thing we could try, how we can reimagine the holidays ... suggestions welcome!

Miranda

Last edited by moominmamma; 10-18-2017 at 08:56 PM.
#16 of 25 Old 10-19-2017, 12:30 AM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by moominmamma View Post
: I guess my frustration is that I cannot envision what new thing we could try, how we can reimagine the holidays ... suggestions welcome!

Miranda

I hope it’s ok for me to crash this thread. I have been thinking about the holiday dilemma. I feel for you and Fiona, I found it difficult when my family started to go their seperate ways.

A couple of ideas occurred to me. Is there anything she would like to do which would be feasible with one child but not with four? A show she would like or a day trip to a Christmas display or market or something.

Another thing which might be fun is hosting an “orphan’s” Christmas, if you know some people who are in similar circumstances or away from family for whatever reason. You could maybe ask everyone to bring a favourite Christmas dish.

If you would like it to just be the three of you maybe you could do a complete reinvention of Christmas dinner. For example, if you always have ham, the rule is that you can have any meat except ham. Then research Christmas recipes to try. Do the same with the veggies and sweets.

Or she could plan and pack Christmas care packages for her siblings. Maybe make their favourite treats and pack them with a handmade decoration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#17 of 25 Old 10-19-2017, 06:35 AM

Our holidays are fragmented...I and my siblings used to try to make it home to my parents' house for Christmas, but now only one goes to be with Mom because of the rest of our work schedules. Because I work on Christmas (all holidays and weekends), the holidays have degenerated into a treeless undecorated occasion with dinner and a few gifts for whomever shows up. Zela flew to Sand Francisco last night to seek her fortune there fore the next half year or so, so she won't be here unless plans change. Husband and I have come to enjoy our empty nest, refilling it with dogs and cats, which require far less time investment than children. The last time I saw one of our kids was...this morning, when I was coming back from dropping husband off at the school bus (so I can have the car this afternoon for lessons, will pick him up from work tonight) and she was coming down the hill from dropping her dogs off at our place. Twice I have met her on that stretch of road that's too narrow to pass on...one has to stop and the other creeps around...

Because I now don't have to facilitate any child centered thing, I'm face with the real possibility of having to do some laundry...

Deborah
#18 of 25 Old 10-19-2017, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katelove View Post
A couple of ideas occurred to me.
Yeah, unfortunately a remote-ish rural village of 600 doesn't have much to offer, and because dh is bound by a 10-minute response time for the health care facility we can't go anywhere. No restaurants here in the winter, there are no shows, no movie theatre, no market, even the two daytime cafés close over the holidays. She spends the school year missing her dad (since we normally spend six days a week away from him in a larger town) so the holiday break is an important chance for both of us to reconnect with him and have a bunch of family time. Ditching him to drive back to the larger town and go out to a movie doesn't feel right.

Orphans ... as you can imagine there aren't a lot of people in our village to be orphaned since the town pretty much shuts down over the winter. Last year Sophie brought one home with her from the coast, a Swiss/Mexican international student classmate, but he's going skiing this year and we don't know of anyone else ... and we're all pretty introverted, so it's stressful (Fiona was not all that happy with having Hugo around last year). The other things you suggested we already do. Our habit has always been to do something weird and different with the main meal(s) of the season. Last year we did the traditional Canadian turkey and trimmings for Hugo's benefit, but that was the first time in many years. We normally brainstorm to come up with a wild new idea, whether "the Twelve Days of Paninis," local/foraged food, or an obscure ethnic multi-course dinner (North African, anyone?). Care packages of holiday treats... we always send those anyway, to help the university kids get through exams, and their birthdays are in November and January so we're always sending gift parcels at this time of year.

Maybe it'll just be meals, movies and card games, like a string of 18 Sundays. I suppose there are worse fates.

Miranda

#19 of 25 Old 10-19-2017, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by transpecos View Post
\Because I work on Christmas (all holidays and weekends),
Yeah, in the past my dh has usually worked the week of Christmas (getting the week before or after off), so we have had to be very flexible in terms of when we actually have our celebratory day. When the kids were really little they believed Christmas was a mid-winter day your family chose

Miranda
stormborn likes this.

#20 of 25 Old 10-20-2017, 08:36 PM

More empty nest stuff: we have apparently arrived at the age where medical dates are our vacations...husband had imaging done in the Big City today to try to find out if he did cause a tear or clot in the base of his brain while twisting his neck seven weeks ago. He had gadolinium side effects of "lacrimation" and "rhinorhea" as soon as they mainlined the contrast medium.

So on the way back we started talking about technology and oilfield technology and petroleum and geology, and I ended up learning about KFM diagrams and oxidizing magmas and reducing magmas and magma chambers that are oxidizing on one side and reducing on the other, and then about stopes (the place where a vein of ore has been hollowed out) and adits and drifts. "I wasn't any good at petrology."

A mechanic friend has recommended that Yana look at the Kia Rio.

Zela can talk again, but she's delaying her nanny interview (a seven year old boy, 3 hours a day, five days a week, in the morning...must be a homeschooler?) to Tuesday instead of Sunday, in the hopes that her voice will not sound like she's been eating glass. We are again lending Son the Corolla for his medical appointment; husband will take the school bus to work (it drops students off in town and goes back until the afternoon run) and get a ride from a colleague. I will stay home, because the rest of the week is full: sub teaching Tuesday morning (they finally ran out and had to ask me, I guess!), to the mountain in the afternoon, lessons Wednesday afternoon, the the Big City for husband's appointment Thursday (it's almost three hours each way when it's not dark), then either lessons or the mountain Friday, vet Saturday and Sunday, and then on Monday I fly to Montana to drive with my mom (86) south, likely arriving back here on Thursday night.

So I might practice for a while before I go to bed in time to get up for work tomorrow. I am SO OVER Daylight Saving Time, especially when we should, longitude wise, be in Mountain Time...

Deborah
#21 of 25 Old 10-21-2017, 01:19 AM

Nanny- just a thought about the 7yr old who needs a morning sitter. Many parents need a early am sitter because they leave at 5am for work and school doesnt start until 8-9am. They either take the early shift to avoid afternoon daycare or the early shift to 'align' with east coast operating times. This happens ALOT on the west coast with banking and legal offices that need to time things to corporate or the stock exchange which all are based on NYC time. (ask me how i know).

Just a thought.

#22 of 25 Old 10-21-2017, 05:08 AM

Well, because she just moved three time zones, this wouldn't be a problem!

I, on the other hand, am having a lot of problem with the fact that it is still pitch dark at 7 a.m. When I lived in the north, I was always on the eastern side of the time zone; even at this time of year, my mom gets sunrise more than fifteen minutes earlier (by clock time) than I do...ours is 8:02 this morning. Resist Daylight Time!

(Sort of in line with Miranda's Christmas random date selection, one year my dad decided that our family was not going on Daylight Saving Time. That lasted several months, until the day the (our) clocks all changed... )

Deborah

Last edited by transpecos; 10-21-2017 at 12:12 PM.
#23 of 25 Old 10-21-2017, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by transpecos View Post
Sort of in line with Miranda's Christmas random date selection, one year my dad decided that our family was not going on Daylight Saving Time.
Haha! Kind of a renegade, for sure! It's crazy-making having to adjust for time-zone differences only part of the year.

We're on Pacific time, but the Symphony I play in rehearses further east, in the Mountain Time zone, and does a series of performances that span both sides of the time-zone line, meaning that typically between Saturday and Sunday we have to adjust our clocks back to Pacific. Which is fine, except that one of the communities we play in doesn't do Daylight Savings time. So half of the year the clock adjustments work one way, and have the year they are different.

This weekend we have rehearsals and first concert in Town A on MDT, then a performance in Town B on PST (no clock change) and then a performance in Town C on PDT (clock change). Next time we have a gig, Towns A and C will be on standard time, so there will be a clock change but it'll take place after the performance in Town B, not before.

Thankfully our musician contracts spell this out really clearly, and the orchestra manager reminds everyone at each service whether we have to adjust our clocks for the next service. I guess they've had enough people mess it up over the years...

Miranda

#24 of 25 Old Yesterday, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by moominmamma View Post
@Nazsmum :

Cassandra, wondering how the new business is going. And the trip-planning, of course!

Miranda
Thanks for asking Miranda. It is going well. My husband is taking a much needed and well deserved break this weekend with friends in the rv. Monday morning we'll be back at it. We have a van and rv to get in for decal work for the new business. We have a professional photo shoot for the whole family in the workshop on Tuesday. We have a product line to finish up and video clips to take of that. Then there are the million and one little things that we need to do to winterize the yard, garden, and house so that when we come home to winter weather (after a very warm fall) nothing will be destroyed. And this weekend I have busily been gathering all the supplies from the house that are not yet stocked permanently in the rv. The good thing is that I am staying relaxed about it all to this point. Ask me again on Wednesday and Thursday (we pull out Friday morning) and it might be a different story. ;-) But I am trying really hard to enjoy the process and know that once we hit the road we'll have a bit of a break for a while. Then we'll be putting our energy into the major marketing push so that we can fully launch our business the day after Thanksgiving. My fingers are crossed!!

Cassandra
#25 of 25 Old Yesterday, 01:46 PM

@healthy momma Let us know what you are selling

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page