What are good unschooling books? (for me!) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 06-30-2004, 02:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I went to addall.com to find Guerrilla Learning, and almost hit the "add to my cart" button and it says, people who bought this book also bought these books: *listed several other reads* Dumbing us Down, The Unschooling Handbook, etc. Well, I can't afford to buy all of those, so are there some essentials I should get now? And others that could wait? I have no books on Unschooling right now, just a head full of ideas!

TIA!

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 06-30-2004, 04:01 AM

Guerilla Learning is not really an unschooling book. It's more of a book that describes how families with children still in school for whatever reason can still get some of the benefits of unschooling.

If you want to know *why* to unschool: John Holt (esp. Teach Your Own), John Taylor Gatto (esp. Dumbing Us Down) , David Guterson - Family Matters: Why Homeschooling Makes Sense.

If you want to know *how* to unschool: The Unschooling Handbook by Mary Griffiths will get you started. If you want to know how to unschool your preteen/teen: The Teenage Liberation Handbook by Grace Llewellyn.

If you want to begin to unschool yourself: The Teenage Liberation Handbook by Grace Llewellyn.

One of the best places to learn why and how to unschool? This forum. One more thing. When I first stated homeschooling, I ran out and bought books. Later, I checked the education and parenting sections of our public library. Guess what? They had Llewellyn (even Guerilla Learning), Holt, Gatto, Guterson, and many others.

If you haven't noticed by now, I am a bibliophile. I have read many other books on homeschooling - several of which are great - but the ones listed above are fairly essential reading in my book LOL!

Happy reading!

Laura
#3 of 8 Old 06-30-2004, 05:43 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I totally recommend the public library too! I was going to list all the same authors that the above poster did lol. Holt, Llewellyn, Unschool book by Mary Griffiths.. all terrific Kristi

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#4 of 8 Old 06-30-2004, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks a bunch! I'm going to make the pilgrimage into town today and go to the library so I'll write those down and see if they've got any!

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

#5 of 8 Old 06-30-2004, 04:48 PM

I like books like Unprocessed Child, Teach Your Own, How Children Learn/Fail, Unschooling Handbook, Punished by Rewards (not technically unschooling but has some similar thought processes) and two really great websites:
www.unschooling.com (message boards)
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/UnschoolingDiscussion/
#6 of 8 Old 06-30-2004, 04:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I love Unschooling.com !! Im also on the discussion list too, but havent been there much lately. Kristi

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#7 of 8 Old 06-30-2004, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter

yay! thanks mamas! My library had all the books you mentioned, well, 2 are checked out, but I put them on hold!

off to read...

#8 of 8 Old 07-01-2004, 04:20 AM

Hey....you're over here, too. Glad you're here! I will also add three of my favorite unschoolish magazines. Life Learning, Home Education Magazine (HEM) and any of the Growing Without Schooling back issues. I don't think the Durango library has any of these but when you travel to Farmington the new library carries HEM. HEM also has a website that posts many of the articles from back issues. Enjoy exploring !

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page