what does unschooling really mean? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 07-30-2004, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
and how is it different from homeschooling?
please enlighten my ignorant mind.

i'm really curious about unschooling, but have major biases. i think it's cause i don't know enough about it, though.

how does an unschooler go about life when they're college age? do they just NOT go to college? how does that work?

please forgive my ignorance, i hope none of this offends anyone. i am genuinely curious.

thanks!
#2 of 3 Old 07-30-2004, 08:49 PM

Go to your library and find just about any of John Holt's books, also look for The Unschooling Handbook, or The Teenage Liberation Handbook. I know there are many other great reads, but those are my faves up til now.

Unschooling is basically child-led learning. It's using that inborn natural curiosity and love of learning that we're all born with. When one goes to a traditional school (be it public or private) we tend to lose that love or desire of learning.

College and unschooling fit so nicely together, if the person wishes them to. If an unschooled person is at college age and interested in doing something that requires college specialized classes, then that person can and will succeed very well b/c they want to be there (unlike most of the kids there, that are not happy to be there) and want to learn. Unschoolers tend to have a much broader view on our world than trad. schooled kids, so they can also feel confident enough to explore other arenas than college, like traveling, apprenticing at a craft or trade, etc.

go through the MDC archives on this forum, and you're bound to find answers to all your questions and concerns with unschooling

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

#3 of 3 Old 07-31-2004, 01:56 AM

Unschoolers can and do attend college if that is the path they want to go down. You just identify what steps need to be taken to start attending, and then go about taking those steps.. easy as that Kristi

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page