What do you consider unschooling? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-18-2004, 02:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thank-you Dar for speaking up about the really offensive things said on this thread about feminists!

I would define unschooling as completely allowing a child to learn about what she is interested in her own way without outside restrictions, control, or interference (and not forcing or requiring her to learn about things she is not interested in).

I do try to extend the unschooling philosophy into other aspects of life such as eating and sleeping. I don't agree with all aspects of radical unschooling but I appreciate it nonetheless.

I *do* think that John Holt in his later years moved very close to radical unschoolers. I have read essays of his where he very clearly extends unschooling into all aspects of a child's life (and when truly unschooling it is hard to seperate "unschooling" from "other aspects of a child's life" isn't it?).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2004, 11:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I don't really have any thoughts about what unschooling is, though when I think of it I suppose I identify it with the "radical" unschoolers. But when I've mentioned the term unschooling to non-homeschoolers, they have always thought it meant a process to detoxify the kids from school, or something.

Mom to DS(14), DS(12), DD(9), DS(6), DS (4), and DS(2)  

***4***8****13***17***21****26***heartbeat.gif****35****40

User Tag List