Homeschooling or unschooling?? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 08-15-2002, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, My dd is only 4 1/2 months right now. But I know from before she was born that I wanted to homeschool. I've noticed the terms unschooling to. What is that and how is it difernt from homeschooling? I'm in Ontario Canada, does anyone have anyinfo about homeschooling in Ontario and where to find resorces?
Thanks a bunch!
Kim
#2 of 9 Old 08-15-2002, 05:15 PM

Hi welcome!!!!

Here is a link to a previous thread on unschooling
http://mothering.com/discussions/sho...threadid=12488

here's another one
http://mothering.com/discussions/sho...&threadid=4742

another unschooling thread, this one started by a mommy of a toddler. includes a post from someone that HS in Ontario.
http://mothering.com/discussions/sho...&threadid=1894

You might want to check the Finding You Tribe folder for the Canada group, there are probably some homeschoolers there. Just in case they don't see this thread.
#3 of 9 Old 08-15-2002, 07:10 PM

Unschooling is just an educational theory that some homeschoolers use- read som John Holt and you will get a good idea of what it is. I knew that I was goin g to homeschool before my first child was born as well, it's nice to know where you're going.
#4 of 9 Old 08-16-2002, 01:59 AM

I knew I was going to homeschool since I was in high achool and was very excited to have an actual child to proceed with

Unschooling is just moer of a child led unstructured approach. It is a pretty broad definition. SOme people feel you are not an unschooler if you do any lessons, some say your unschooling if you do anything less than a fully structured program. A good over view of unschooling can be found in "The Unschooling Handbook" It is very laid back and not preechy or elitest. Easy read and enjoyable. Even if you decide unschooling isn't for you the book still has some great general insights in it.

We do a combination of unschooling for some subjects (everything not listed below) and more formal educating for others (handwriting, reading, math).

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#5 of 9 Old 08-16-2002, 12:58 PM
Dar

Part of my personal definition of unschooling is that it's not something that can be done part-time, that it's a philosophy based on trusting children to learn what they need when they need it, and the parent's job is to give assistance when it seems wanted and to be leading an interesting life as well - that modeling thing :-)

To me, unschooling except for handwriting, reading, and math is like being vegetarian except for eating hamburgers, steak and pork chops.

I find the boards and list at www.unschooling.com to be helpful.

Dar

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

#6 of 9 Old 08-16-2002, 01:34 PM

Here is a link an ontario homeschooling page:

http://www.flora.org/homeschool-ca/on/

There are both homeschoolers and unschoolers in Ontario. We used to live in Hawkesbury, about half way between Ottawa and Montreal.
#7 of 9 Old 08-16-2002, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone, the info has helped alot. I think more of an unschooling aproch is more likley to fin in at are house. I was an avid reader all my life and hope my dd will be to. She loves to be read to right now, whe she's not trying to eat the book!
I always learned more through reading and general life then I did at school. I quit public school when I was 17 and homeschooled/self schooled from then on.
Kim
#8 of 9 Old 08-17-2002, 12:30 AM

Location: cape cod, seeking to relocate to the SF bay area as a live-in nanny!
i agree with dar on this one! part-time unschooler is almost an oxymoron. to me, it's more than just a method of homeschooling...it's a way of life. i unschooled during my teen years, and graduated from college two mays ago, but i like to think of myself as still an unschooler! because life IS learning...learning never stops.

and my personal definition of unschooling is, education that is self-directed and interest-led. (i might have "stolen" that from someone/somewhere, but i don't remember!)
#9 of 9 Old 08-17-2002, 03:21 AM

Edited because I repeated exactly what someone else said.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page