Any single UNSCHOOLING mommies? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 12-10-2004, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi. I'm wanting advice from somebody who has gone through this. I am single(I have legal full custody) and homeschooling. I have een using more structure than I am comfortable with to take my ex-husbands opinions into consideration...but-he is not happy anyway and I really believe in unschooling. Anybody had legal problems because of this? I live in Canada so laws are probably dif than USA. This is probably not the time to go to unschooling because the homeschooling has been subject to major critiscm from exh lately-every time kids see him. I would just really LIKE to go that way! The way it stands right now, if it does go to a court(and he has threatened!) I think I would be fine ut if we unschool...I just don't know. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 12-11-2004, 12:29 AM
Dar

I am, but I've been single from the get-go and Rain's dad is this guy who bops in every few months or so, and has no legal rights (or responsibilities). So it's really a different situation... maybe post in the single moms forum?

Dar

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

#3 of 4 Old 12-11-2004, 12:45 AM

I am. I openly totally unschool my ds (12) be because he is not my xh's bio child. the others are enrolled in an umbrella school that stays out of my business and still satisfies xh's need to feel that someone is governing the way we school. I have to turn in a curriculm list to the school at the beginning of the school year - so I just gather everything grade approperate into a crate and send them a list of whats in there...not hard to do off of our bookshelf. Of course I also report attendance :LOL and grades (can you say *A* ?) it is totally stupid.

mom to four lively children. birth and postpartum doula. midwifery student. choosing to enjoy life. :
#4 of 4 Old 12-11-2004, 08:49 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Well mostly unschool anyhoo...I do have him do a math cirriculum but not fanatically.My son doesn't have a legal father so I don't have to deal with that...But when I pulled him out of school they did call me a few times because they wanted to be sure it was something I was going to stick too.In Ky you just have to send a letter to your board every year with your intent so they don't sick truancy on you.But I have never had any problems with anyone (well except my parents but that is a different story )

I would make sure you know what schooling laws you are subject too and follow them...And by saying that I mean loosly if you want to unschool..You can definitly use a variety of things to show what your child has done that will cover...My friend has to show a portfolio every year for her DD and she unschools. She shows trips,science exsperiments,journals,books read, stories written,cooking exsperiments ect...She finds ways to show what her child does on her own to satisfy the portfolio requirments.

It is a great journey...Enjoy it as much as your son will...I learn almost as much as my son does...Love Mylie xx

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page