lots of fear...in regards to unschooling - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 01-29-2005, 11:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ive got this great group of friends who are all wanting to explore alt education for their kids. several are into the idea of unschooling but have these fears specific things like will my kids get taken away? how will he/she get into college? how will he/she learn everything they need to? i too am sometimes plagued by these fears. and then i think about what i learned in school. most of what i learned amounts to negative social interaction, as a matter of fact fear is probably the thing i learned most of. and then i can think a bit more clearly about my direction. i assume many of us have these fears at first. how do you deal with them and when are they abated if ever?

Happiness despite misery is a great victory, I think...

caffix.gifSingle coffee loving and making mom to fencing.gifds, age 12, hamster.jpg dd, age 10, dog2.gif dd, age 7, flowerkitty.giftigress, cat.gifquinn, hyena.gifblack cat, and wool.gif beatrice the spider. Yeeehawww!!!

#2 of 6 Old 01-29-2005, 11:47 PM

I think it's pretty common to have fear at first. But, like most things, we fear what we don't understand. So for me, the key has been to learn as much as I can. I listen carefully to those with older kids or more unschooling experience--their lives and kids are testimonials that help remove doubt and fear. (Dar, UnschoolinMa, Joan, and some others here are wonderful examples.)

Joining some Yahoo groups has been enormously helpful. Reading at unschooling.com and sandradodd.com has been helpful.

I have heard a lot of people talk about taking that leap of faith in their own families and seeing miracles happen--I think that's the best way, of course--try it and see if it works. Can't argue with those results, right?

Many people say the fear lessens and turns into occasional doubting. Then the moments of doubt come less frequently as time goes on (and they see that unschooling works).
#3 of 6 Old 01-30-2005, 12:08 AM

I have to say that along with people in my community who have/are following this route, participating here on MDC boards, that *READING* has been the most empowering experience for me with regard to US. Our local library just happens to have many wonderful books on HS/US. WHEW! I started with "The Homeschooling Book of Answers" by Linda Dobson. It has a question/answer format and answers are given by a HUGE panel of people who HS/US. Some much territory covered (all the questions you bring up and more), and lots of different perspectives from those who have been there and are there currently. Many of my fears (state requirements, college, etc.), where tamed with the reading of just this one book. From there I read a ton more and anytime I start to get a little nervous I head to the library. Anymore, I only get a few pages in and I put the book down. "AAh yes, that's why I'm US and I can't imagine I could take any other route."

The best to you and good luck!

Em 43 - Wife to hubby Mom to DS born: Jan. '01
#4 of 6 Old 01-30-2005, 06:15 AM

I recommend trying to make it to a conference if you can. The next one is in St. Louis, Missouri. I went to Peabody and it was really wonderful just watching the kids--how they spoke, how they acted, what they did and plan to do etc... It was nice to see how they turned out as a result of growing up this way.
#5 of 6 Old 01-30-2005, 07:22 AM

The fears are common, and normal at first definately. I suggest reading tons of stuff about homeschooling and of course focus on reading things about unschooling. I like "The Unschooling Handbook" by Mary Griffiths and stuff by John Holt. I enjoy www.unschooling.com but some people do not care for it there

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#6 of 6 Old 01-30-2005, 01:50 PM

Love your tagline

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page