Unschooling debate (moved from "what educational approach...") - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 41 Old 02-28-2005, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunar forest
I just wanted to pop in and say
You know what they say, if you have nothing good to add...
#32 of 41 Old 02-28-2005, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Dar, did you check the dictionary? Check dictionary.com. Entry 6 is what I meant. I'll paste for you.
I'm really trying to be polite here, but I think it is a reasonable expectation to use one of the 1st definations when it matches current colloquial expression. There are very few people who would not take offense at being called members of a cult.

I don't think anyone is argueing that you *must* unschool (but that you CAN without being a cult member or negligent) or that you *cannot* correct your child's pronounciation (but that you do not have to and they will still speak correctly). Just that, from my perspective, children will learn many many things without having direct "instruction" per se.

#33 of 41 Old 02-28-2005, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Only "normal" children have the right to unschool?
No, in fact PERSONALLY I consider unschooling to be even more advantageous for those who are on the extremes of the curve or with asynchronous development. It seems like you think that it is quite abnormal for a child to teach themselves to read, to speak correctly without specific correction, etc... I am just saying that I think it would work for the vast majority of children (I really don't know enough about children with extreme delays to make a statement and can see logical arguements both ways).

(BTW, you specifically saying "I'm happy you are leaving" is what I am referring to when I think of a negative posting environment.)

#34 of 41 Old 02-28-2005, 07:17 PM

Actually, most speech therapists tell you NOT to correct your child's language mistakes and to rather model the correct speech yourself. The only exception is when there is a major speech problem requiring professional help.
#35 of 41 Old 02-28-2005, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Actually, most speech therapists tell you NOT to correct your child's language mistakes and to rather model the correct speach yourself. The only exception is when there is a major speach problem requiring professional help.
Thank you Wende!!! That's what I meant by "normal"-- the vast majority do not need corrected but there could be some exceptions at the extremes.

#36 of 41 Old 02-28-2005, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredX2
I'm really trying to be polite here, but I think it is a reasonable expectation to use one of the 1st definations when it matches current colloquial expression. There are very few people who would not take offense at being called members of a cult.
I forgot people on MDC tend not to watch TV. I see the world cult today is more widely used for the definition 6 than the first. A cult movie, a cult pop band, etc.

Quote:
I don't think anyone is argueing that you *must* unschool (but that you CAN without being a cult member or negligent)
Which I disagree. I would be a cult member according to definition 6.

Now I'm willing to accept your children are fine, but I still think what you advocate would be negligent to my child.

Quote:
or that you *cannot* correct your child's pronounciation (but that you do not have to and they will still speak correctly). Just that, from my perspective, children will learn many many things without having direct "instruction" per se.
I don't believe that if I don't correct my child he will speak English correctly. That's why I do it.

Your children will learn without direct instruction. Mine might need some. When one starts to generalise, one starts the offend the children of others. I now understand I've generalised in the other thread and offended some unschoolers.

But now, it's you doing it with me.
#37 of 41 Old 02-28-2005, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonor
Modelling? You mean you just kept carrying on talking as you normally hoping they would catch up your example? It seems they did catch up, but what if they didn't?
It was a bit more than "hoping" they'd catch up. Everything I've read on child development supports that this is how children learn to speak. I have to expect that my kids are developing within normal limits unless I'm given reason to believe otherwise. Every indication was that they were developing normally, so I was not concerned that there was a problem with their speech. And there isn't.

Quote:
When one starts to generalise, one starts the offend the children of others. I now understand I've generalised in the other thread and offended some unschoolers.
BINGO!

Single Mom to 3 (12, 17 & 21)  luxlove.gif and dog2.gif.

#38 of 41 Old 02-28-2005, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan
It was a bit more than "hoping" they'd catch up. Everything I've read on child development supports that this is how children learn to speak. I have to expect that my kids are developing within normal limits unless I'm given reason to believe otherwise. Every indication was that they were developing normally, so I was not concerned that there was a problem with their speech. And there isn't.
My guide is not what some experts who never met us say on child development, it's my child.

I still doubt you never corrected your child. It just doesn't make sense. I think this is another problem of definitions here. If your child pointed to a bottle and said "bof" you would say "bottle", no? If your child pointed to a blue object saying "red" I doubt you would not say "blue".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan
BINGO!
BINGO back to you!
#39 of 41 Old 02-28-2005, 08:32 PM

A debate about unschooling would be lovely... but this isn't even really a debate. Half the points that people are making are not even being addressed. Verrry frustrating.
#40 of 41 Old 02-28-2005, 11:22 PM

I am closing this thread so I can put my kids to bed. I will address the UA violations when all are asleep.
#41 of 41 Old 03-03-2005, 06:20 AM

Just quickly opening the thread to say this thread will remain closed. If anyone wishes to continue a discussion on unschooling they may start a new thread. Threads discussing other threads (i.e. this one) aren't allowed, so make it a new discussion.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page