free home/unschooling zine and call for submissions - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 1 Old 12-22-2001, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello everyone! Cynthia gave me permission to post this here. I lurk here frequently but have not posted before.

I have started a feminist home/unschooling zine directed at those of us that are outside of the mainstream. I am offering the first issue for free, after that subscriptions are $8 a year. I am also open to swaps, trades, etc.

The best way to describe my zine is through my informal call for submissions which you will find below. I am always looking for writers. This zine is my way of connecting up with, and finding support from, other home/unschooling mamas who don't fit the typical homeschooling model. If you would like a free issue just email me your mailing address. npackebush@aol.com

Cheers,
Nina

Guidelines
I have decided to do it, I am starting a new zine on the many ways we choose to educate our kids. It is called The Edgy-catin' Mama. I am looking for essays, rants, day in the life, poetry and such dealing with the trials and tribulations of choosing an alternative form of education for our children.

I think those of us that choose alternative forms of education spend so much time defending our choices that we are afraid to talk about the dark side. We are afraid (and maybe rightly so) that our critics will seek out those weak spot and go for it. Unfortunately, I think we do ourselves a great disservice when we participate in this Pollyanna fantasy. I think we isolate ourselves with our dishonesty. I think, because everyone is afraid to speak the truth, we end up feeling inadequate, like we are the only ones whose kids fight. I think it is time for us alternative education types to stand up and talk about the fact that sometimes it is magic and sometimes it downright sucks.

I am looking for the nitty, gritty; the harsh reality; total honesty. As a homeschooler I am tired of the portrayal of homeschooling families as perfect little situations where Jimmy is building websites, Suzy is designing rockets and little Mary is reading Shakespeare at 4, all while mom happily tends to the baby, runs the local support group and bakes her own bread and dad works part-time so he can spend more time with his wonderful kids that never fight...you get the idea. In my house reality is a tad different. Dad works 60 hours week just to pay the bills, I work part-time, am tired and grumpy more often than I like to admit, the kids fight, the cat hacks up hairballs and my kids are much more interested in skateboards and hair dye than in building rockets. I know I am not alone.

I want this to be inclusive of all forms of alternative education, not just homeschooling, although the main focus will be on homeschooling. It is time we came together as alternative educating mamas instead of running off to our own little cliques and hiding behind the every thing is perfect mask. I would love to hear from kids involved in alternative education also. I would love any kind of essays written by alternative educated kid on any subject.

I plan to put out around 4 issues per year...old fashioned zerox and staple. I want the good, the bad and the ugly. If you're having a great day/month/year I want to hear it but if life totally sucks right now I want to hear that too. It is time we shouted the truth from the rooftops...without fear. Mainstreamers can complain about their fighting kids and messy houses without the fear of people blaming their educational choice for all of their problems. Well, now it is time for us to claim that for ourselves through the only path that ever creates change; honesty.

I also really want stuff from single mamas, lesbian mamas, working outside the home mamas, mamas fighting a chronic illness (depression included), poor mamas, teen mamas and all the rest of us who are rarely heard in other publications. I also want your thoughts on feminism and homeschooling. How does it work for you?

Send me your stuff: essays, a day in the life, rants, tips, hints, and the like, via email and let's see if something comes of it. Keep it at 1000 words or less if you can, if you have to exceed the limit I am still interested.
Thanks!
Nina
npackebush@aol.com
PS If your stuff is chosen for publication payment will be 4 free copies of the issue you are published in and a generous bio which can include info about your website or business.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page