Hey are we doing unschooling? - Mothering Forums
Unschooling > Hey are we doing unschooling?
PJsmomma's Avatar PJsmomma 10:49 PM 04-24-2005
My 4 year old has varied intrests.
The other day he wanted to know about sharks, so we looked at a book about sharks. One day he was worried that he didn't know how to tell time :LOL --so I got out a toy clock and we played with it for awhile.

We do things like that all the time--when he feels like having another piano lesson we have one, etc.

I always thought "unschooling" sounded like we'd be missing out on something, but now I'm thinking hmmm.. sounds very neat.

I'm sure you roll your eyes about this question but how do you make sure they learn how to read, do math etc?

Thanks

UnschoolnMa's Avatar UnschoolnMa 01:31 AM 04-25-2005
PJsmomma wrote: My 4 year old has varied intrests.
The other day he wanted to know about sharks, so we looked at a book about sharks. One day he was worried that he didn't know how to tell time :LOL --so I got out a toy clock and we played with it for awhile.

Ohh my Dd loves sharks so much! She knows all this stuff about them that I am clueless on lol.

We do things like that all the time--when he feels like having another piano lesson we have one, etc.

Cool. If it's his choice to do so then yes that is unschooling to me.

I always thought "unschooling" sounded like we'd be missing out on something, but now I'm thinking hmmm.. sounds very neat.

I think it is very neat too.

I'm sure you roll your eyes about this question but how do you make sure they learn how to read, do math etc?

Basically the same way you do anything else in life... make toast, sweep the floor, ride a bike, write your name, etc. When we desire info or a skill we can seek it out and get to it. Having your own money is a great way to learn math. Calculators and dice are cool too.

PJsmomma's Avatar PJsmomma 02:19 AM 04-27-2005
thanks
Up