unschooling.com ?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-25-2005, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I haven't been there in a while, but just tried to show dd the kids' message boards and got an error message. Does anyone know if the boards are down or (GASP!) if they no longer exist?

Single Mom to 3 (12, 17 & 21)  luxlove.gif and dog2.gif.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2005, 01:55 PM
Dar

They no longer exist, as of last week or so...

Dar

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

Old 04-25-2005, 02:46 PM

Wow! What happened? I did not care for the message boards but there were a lot of good articles there. I hope they got saved by someone.
Old 04-25-2005, 02:47 PM

Oh, sorry, I misunderstood. So the SITE is still there but the BOARDS are gone. I get it.

Are you sure? There are still links to the boards on the site. They don't work, but they haven't been removed.
Old 04-25-2005, 06:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yep I think the boards are gone....sucks.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
Old 04-25-2005, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

Well, that sucks. Anyone know what happened? Any talk of where everyone went?

Old 04-25-2005, 08:51 PM

I think I saw some of them here:

http://www.unschooling.info/forum/

Angela

DD(20) Hair Stylist in Manhattan
DD(18) Graduate of the (real) Fame school, now a Dance Theater major at a performing arts conservatory
DS(13) Experiential Charlotte Mason homeschooler
Old 04-26-2005, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter

My dd thanks you!

Old 04-26-2005, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citymomx3
I think I saw some of them here:

http://www.unschooling.info/forum/

Citymomx3,

Thanks again for passing on the info about Unschooling Information
I was also surprised(and saddened) to find that Unschooling.com's Message boards had been deleted. It reminded me of when Growing Without Schooling magazine went under.

"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail..."
"I am learning all the time, the tombstone will be my diploma"- Eartha Kitt
Old 04-26-2005, 06:19 PM

Ha! I forgot I was part of that forum (or registered there, whatever you want to call it) Cool.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
Old 04-26-2005, 07:31 PM

There was one man on the unschooling board who took me under his wing. I will be forever grateful to him....and I don't even remember his name.
Old 04-26-2005, 08:46 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Maybe there just aren't enough of us unschoolers out there? Or, alternatively, that trying to get us organized is like herding cats? I too was sad to learn that Growing Without Schooling was no longer being published. Are there any other good and growing unschooling, print periodical resources out there?
Old 04-28-2005, 12:51 PM

I saw your post...nice website by the way...I am a displaced Albertan (in the NWT) who is soon to be a Manitoban! Anyway, you were wanting to know a homesschooling magazine. I get Life Learning magazine, comes out bimonthly from Ontario, published by Wendy Priesnitz (who founded the Canadian Association of Homeschoolers in 1979). It's small but good, focused entirely on unschooling in arcticles, has a good parenting column by Naomi Aldort, and it does have some school at home advertizers/curriculum in ads but overall is heavily unschooling in focus. Go to http://www.life.ca and I think it is under family life/natural education, or phone (wait, gotta go get a back issue)...1-800-215-9574. Costs 25.68 Cdn for 1 year.

Hope this helps! Tina

Tina, RN, wife-y to J, mom to dd (10) and ds (7)
"Beware the lollipop of mediocracy...one lick and you suck forever!"
Old 04-28-2005, 01:19 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Hi Tina,

Great! Entirely dedicated to unschooling is what I like! I'll have to check it out, thanks for the lead and for your comments on our site .
Old 04-29-2005, 03:14 AM

Jennifer~

Live Free Learn Free is another new unschooling magazine. www.livefreelearnfree.com
Old 04-29-2005, 11:48 AM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
For the Canadians, another magazine suggestion. We unschool and I loved Growing Without Schooling magazine when it was being published, but I confess to being a little underwhelmed by Life Learning magazine. There are some good articles but I find myself skimming and thinking "yeah, same old stuff I've heard before". I recently began subscribing to Homeschooling Horizons out of Quebec. Although it's not strictly an unschooling publication I find more in it that is thought-provoking or worth referring back to for resources. For instance, there was recently a series of articles moving chronologically through Canadian history, outlining major events, books, videos, project possibilities, etc.. While we would never use this as a curriculum plan, it may serve as a jumping-off point for us if my kids are interested in a particular historical event or setting. And there are wonderful articles written by parents who for instance, have helped their boys learn to sew baby clothes, who are involved in the sugar bush industry, who are homeschooling kids with medical conditions or learning disabilities. In other words, lots of GWS "watching children learn" type articles, and lots of ideas for resources with a Canadian (or general interest) flavour. The quality of the writing is really good and there's a lot of substance to the magazine.

Homeschooling Horizons

Miranda

Mountain mama to two great kids and two great grown-ups
Old 04-29-2005, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonCC
Oh, sorry, I misunderstood. So the SITE is still there but the BOARDS are gone. I get it.

Are you sure? There are still links to the boards on the site. They don't work, but they haven't been removed.
Hi all -

The site is currently being updated. Though there won't be any message boards when it's back up, Helen Hegener (the owner of unschooling.com , along with Home Education Magazine , and a very cool unschooler, to boot) has restarted the yahoogroup associated with the site, unschooling-dotcom , and it's up and running.

The unschooling.com website had been neglected for a while - lots of dead links and outdated information. Along with Helen, several of us have been working on gathering as much unschooling info as we can (lots of links, resources, articles, books, discussion lists, conferences, support group contacts, etc.), and it should be up soon. If there's anything specific you think the new site should include, feel free to let me know ([email protected]). Happy unschooling!

-Shana Ronayne Hickman
www.livefreelearnfree.com
Old 05-01-2005, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckgal
I get Life Learning magazine, comes out bimonthly from Ontario, published by Wendy Priesnitz (who founded the Canadian Association of Homeschoolers in 1979). It's small but good, focused entirely on unschooling in arcticles, has a good parenting column by Naomi Aldort, and it does have some school at home advertizers/curriculum in ads but overall is heavily unschooling in focus. Go to http://www.life.ca and I think it is under family life/natural education, or phone (wait, gotta go get a back issue)...1-800-215-9574. Costs 25.68 Cdn for 1 year.
Another Canadian here! hi fron the East Coast! Also, at Life Learning magazine, they have FREE pdfs of past issues, so you can read a few before subscribing. They come out every two monts, which is not near enough.
Old 05-01-2005, 05:13 PM

It was very sad when the unschool.com community went down, or the 'room' used to hang out in was taken away, I still don't really undertsand the reasons for it, it was a very active forum.

However most of the regulars have gone over to www.unschooling.info where you can ask unschool stuff (or of course you can ask here ) The site also has articles and information/ resources..so check it out!

Amanda treehugger.gif , UK Mum, married to airline pilot Davesurf.gif . Mum to Emily blahblah.gif (20), Jasmine  dust.gif(11) and Theo fencing.gif(7):

User Tag List